General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

O/T: Anyone work with mobility scooters?

Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
O/T: Anyone work with mobility scooters?

I recently got into working with these scooters (3 and 4 wheel) kinda like the ones at WalMart only sportier, and was just wondering if anyone else works with them either professionally or privatly.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:29 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We got a four wheeler at work for the boss man to cruise around the shop with. He has some old injuries and should not be on his feet too much. So far we have modified the wheelie bars to facilitate riding wheelies, added some custom decals, and have replaced the joystick with some stainless bar stock. Currently we are looking into some knight-rider style LEDs for it and a gimballed ashtray.

Interestingly, the wheels on the wheelie bars come apart during tight wheelie turns but there are some smaller solid wheel inside those which work great and don't mark the floor.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

Originally Posted by honeydew
We got a four wheeler at work for the boss man to cruise around the shop with. He has some old injuries and should not be on his feet too much. So far we have modified the wheelie bars to facilitate riding wheelies, added some custom decals, and have replaced the joystick with some stainless bar stock. Currently we are looking into some knight-rider style LEDs for it and a gimballed ashtray.

Interestingly, the wheels on the wheelie bars come apart during tight wheelie turns but there are some smaller solid wheel inside those which work great and don't mark the floor.
Do you guys by chance work with airplanes at your shop? your project sounds neat.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Nope, no airplanes! The main goal with the scooter is to make it fun so boss-man wants to use it and doesn't feel the stigma some associate with these devices. It seems to work, he uses it quite often these days.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:25 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
not really in the mobility field per say, but here is my personal mobility barstool! that could possibly make ya need one of those dandy 3 or 4 wheeled electric jobbers

Old 09-27-2012, 06:12 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

Nope, no airplanes! The main goal with the scooter is to make it fun so boss-man wants to use it and doesn't feel the stigma some associate with these devices. It seems to work, he uses it quite often these days.
Very cool!! The reason I asked was that I sold a scooter to a gentleman that was in the situation you describe about a month ago, they build specialty airplanes up in New Smyrna beach

BTW, your signature line says Firestone tires...are they the Transforce?

Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

Originally Posted by OldBlackCat
not really in the mobility field per say, but here is my personal mobility barstool! that could possibly make ya need one of those dandy 3 or 4 wheeled electric jobbers

Very cool as well!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 AM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Supercab
Very cool!! The reason I asked was that I sold a scooter to a gentleman that was in the situation you describe about a month ago, they build specialty airplanes up in New Smyrna beach

BTW, your signature line says Firestone tires...are they the Transforce?
I'm a couple hours drive south of Smyrna. Yes my tires are Transforce HT. I'm happy with them and they seem to be holding up well.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

I'm a couple hours drive south of Smyrna. Yes my tires are Transforce HT. I'm happy with them and they seem to be holding up well.
You must be in Sebastian or Vero Beach?? I'm in Palm Bay....
Great to hear about the Transforce tires, I just put 2 new ones on the front of mine.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:43 AM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Well, maybe 2 hours driving fast- I'm in Palm City. You'll likely be pleased with the transforce, the shop where I got them says it is the truck tire they get the most positive feedback about.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:44 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Transforce HT's all the way around on mine, with two new ones in the bed while I'm on the road, just in case....

They hold up well for me.

Sorry for the hijack, but really wanted to comment on what I feel is a great workhorse tire.

Pop

Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
We use the Transforce on most of our work trailers, they hold up real good.
The boss man just put a set on his F350, he's tried about every tire on the market, he said he's had the best luck with the Transforce.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

I'm lovin hearing about the Transforces!! probably anouther 5-6k and I'll need to do the rears.

No worries about hijacking...just curious about the scooters.....I've gotten into buying and re-selling them by accident and am making some money and actually enjoying working with them and the people on both ends.

When I do the rear tires (Dually) CAN I put my present fronts (the Transforces) BOTH on 1 side of the rear while leaving the old Coopers on the other for a bit?-same size and tread of tire....planning on doing 2 at a time as money permits.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:08 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,839 Posts
Posted in wrong thread... Nothing to see here...

Old 08-28-2017, 10:45 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Stewart will be along shortly with the mighty "one click" ban hammer...
It's a few more clicks than one.

But now that we have our own conversation thread, this OT thread doesn't need to be sent to GNAC, but instead it can be folded into the "Morning coffee" thread.

Stewart

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O/T: Anyone work with mobility scooters?