Notices

I gambled and maybe I

Old 11-28-2018, 09:42 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by schoo View Post
Iím going to use the heAds I have the GT40 heAds are hard to find here
If you are, at least do this: get a set of porting bits and take a die grinder or drill and remove the Thermactor bumps from the exhaust port roofs, if you're getting the heads reworked, also take a header gasket to use as a template and open the walls and port roofs to match the gasket, blending this down into the port. This takes about an hour to do all eight ports and really improves the flow.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:47 PM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by baddad457 View Post
It's called the F4TE cam. Was used in all pickup/van 5.0's from 94 -96, All Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0's and the roller 351W from 94-97 . Specs are 256/266 advertised duration, .422/.445 lift with 1.6 rockers, 116* LSA. 1.7 rockers increases the lift by .030. Full roller 1.7 rockers netted the 5.0 Cobra engines 15 HP. The stock HO roller is just a step above this one in specs. The Cobra 5.0 cam also works well and similar in specs to these two.
thanks for info. What is a good gasket set for-pro?

Old 11-28-2018, 09:50 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Head gasket ? FelPro #9333. I used these on my aluminum headed 331. They sealed for 12 years with all the expansion/contraction you get with aluminum heads on an iron block. I liberally spray them with copper kote before installing them.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:17 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Post Fiend
hairyboxnoogle has a good reputation on FTE.hairyboxnoogle has a good reputation on FTE.hairyboxnoogle has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by schoo View Post
Iím going to use the heAds I have the GT40 heAds are hard to find here
You can find them all over the internet, not as cheap perhaps. Especially as you have the engine apart now, i would strongly consider them. E7TE heads are boat anchors, some of the worst castings there were for the small blocks. However, at the end of the day, its your engine and your budget, im just passin along the information.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:02 AM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle View Post
You can find them all over the internet, not as cheap perhaps. Especially as you have the engine apart now, i would strongly consider them. E7TE heads are boat anchors, some of the worst castings there were for the small blocks. However, at the end of the day, its your engine and your budget, im just passin along the information.
thank you for info if you see a set of GT40 at a good price post me a link Iím open hope my manifolds fit

Old 11-29-2018, 09:06 AM
schoo
Postmaster
I guess I need to get a material list next

Old 11-29-2018, 01:26 PM
Scndsin
Du Nawt Seek The Treasure
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
Look at this way. A stock HO 5.0 makes 225-235 HP with E7 heads & a mild cam with crinkled up stock headers.

Here's my 5.8 build & parts list that I did for right at 3K with me & chapter member turning all the wrenches from crank out & minimal machine work. ( Intake mod not needed for you)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16937337

The 512 Comp cam is listed by them to be the most cam for a stock 5.0/speed density truck & is only mildly more aggressive than my stock 5.8 cam.

What's the back story on this truck? Who did the EFI swap?

Those witness marks on the TC are worrisome.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:36 PM
schoo
Postmaster
Thanks dave oh yes I did this truck and the swap minus electric delete chuck did that

Old 11-29-2018, 02:40 PM
schoo
Postmaster
And yes need to figure out the TC

Old 11-29-2018, 05:50 PM
Scndsin
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
Was there a block plate between trans/engine?

Old 11-29-2018, 06:18 PM
schoo
Postmaster
I donít have the flywheel off yet is that it

I think itís in this pic

Old 11-29-2018, 06:44 PM
schoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by baddad457 View Post
If you are, at least do this: get a set of porting bits and take a die grinder or drill and remove the Thermactor bumps from the exhaust port roofs, if you're getting the heads reworked, also take a header gasket to use as a template and open the walls and port roofs to match the gasket, blending this down into the port. This takes about an hour to do all eight ports and really improves the flow.
if I change heads to say gt40 is that going to lead a chain reaction with the efi pcm ect

Old 11-29-2018, 07:40 PM
Scndsin
Got it, missed it before.

You can safely get 300 hp by the stock computer & the GT40 heads aren't going to push you past that.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:56 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle View Post
I see you've never actually run a set of ported E7's. They were actually better than the early 351W heads, right outta the box.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:29 AM
Beanscoot
Posting Guru
Beanscoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Beanscoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I was aware that the E7TE heads were considered much better than the late 70s to mid 80s heads (D8OE etc.) but are they actually as good as, or better than the C9OE heads? They do have the advantage of hardened seats, and pedestal rocker arms.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I gambled and maybe I

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.