Notices

I gambled and maybe I

Old 03-17-2019, 10:25 AM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tim Young View Post
I think David is asking about the harmonic balancer, does it have a 0 degree mark at TDC and the degrees BTDC on one side and degrees ATDC on the other? It looks to me as though it just has the degrees BTDC and 0 degrees TDC.
yes all it has is 0 through 40* I think(my eyes are old see post 325 I said I didn't have a OBD and there it is) . No after top dead center markings, I made a blue arrow to indicate which set of timing marks to use when I was matching new balancer to the old balancer

Started down I just felt it

Old 03-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Scndsin
Du Nawt Seek The Treasure
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
I think David is asking about the harmonic balancer, does it have a 0 degree mark at TDC and the degrees BTDC on one side and degrees ATDC on the other? It looks to me as though it just has the degrees BTDC and 0 degrees TDC.

Yes. I'm thinking I see nothing but degrees after TDC.

There are things called timing tape, but Henry Help Us, if you can find one for a sbf.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:54 PM
Scndsin
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
OK, my bad. Looked at a balancer on the shelf & yours shows before degrees & no after degrees.

The pointer lines up with the first zero mark when you find for sure TDC?

Old 03-17-2019, 02:01 PM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Scndsin View Post
OK, my bad. Looked at a balancer on the shelf & yours shows before degrees & no after degrees.

The pointer lines up with the first zero mark when you find for sure TDC?
yes piston is at the top of stroke 0 on pointer, rotor at #1
the engine started on the third try of the key after assembly it has never been off by very much

Old 03-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Scndsin
Then you should be able to pull the spout, loosen the hold-down & get 10* (second 0, second red mark to the right)

Unless the cap is hitting something. The only other issue you might be having is that 8 inches of vacuum could be some heavy leak.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:53 PM
schoo
Postmaster
Then you should be able to pull the spout, loosen the hold-down & get 10* (second 0, second red mark to the right)

Unless the cap is hitting something. The only other issue you might be having is that 8 inches of vacuum could be some heavy leak.
yes about getting my nerve up here soon.
the only vac line I have doubts about is the egr from the solenoid to the unit will it run if pull that line

Old 03-18-2019, 05:00 PM
diggerrigger
Senior User
diggerrigger is starting off with a positive reputation.
You can disconnect the vacuum line at the EGR valve and plug it. It will have no effect for your purposes at this time.

8 inches of vacuum is way low. Vacuum that low would most commonly indicate a manifold leak. Is the PCV valved line made to the tapped opening on the the rear of the upper intake? I know this connection opening is out of sight, maybe out of mind.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:19 PM
schoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by diggerrigger View Post
You can disconnect the vacuum line at the EGR valve and plug it. It will have no effect for your purposes at this time.

8 inches of vacuum is way low. Vacuum that low would most commonly indicate a manifold leak. Is the PCV valved line made to the tapped opening on the the rear of the upper intake? I know this connection opening is out of sight, maybe out of mind.
yes PCV is there Ill ck for vac leaks I used studs when I installed the manifolds

Old 03-18-2019, 06:29 PM
schoo
Postmaster
I drove it up to town twice today first time I tried it at 12-15 I had to stop and advance it up to 20+ just to get up the hills.

It it heats up to the fan comes when not moving but driving it cools down to 190 or so, when I turned it off I checked the thermostat housing with my gauge and it read 197 just after shutdown.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:06 PM
Tim Young
Post Fiend
Tim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputation
Well besides the motor, everything else is working ok?

I would like to see a photo of your truck!

Old 03-18-2019, 07:13 PM
Scndsin
197* is good. 20* I guess will have to be lived with for now.

Are your IAC, throttle body, gaskets new?

Are all the extra ports on the vaccume tree capped?

This thing doesn't have a power brake booster does it?

What intake to head gasket did you use?

Old 03-18-2019, 09:02 PM
schoo
Postmaster

Ford had the gas tank in the cab mine (Chevy van Fi tank)is in the rear behind the Chevy rear end, gas cap is jag

Well besides the motor, everything else is working ok?

I would like to see a photo of your truck!
everything working ok? This is a hot rod made up from I’m counting 6or7 cars/trucks. Power steering for instance jaguar rack & pinion but the pump is ford E250 the pump is new when I built the engine but the rack seals are old and when I started up the engine I had a lot more pressure than the old pump( the old one worked great)so of course I blow the seals

Old 03-18-2019, 09:09 PM
schoo
Postmaster
There are lots of truck on FTE that are sooooo much better than this truck check out some of them on the 48-56 forums

Old 03-18-2019, 09:52 PM
schoo
Postmaster
197* is good. 20* I guess will have to be lived with for now.

Are your IAC, throttle body, gaskets new?

Are all the extra ports on the vaccume tree capped?

This thing doesn't have a power brake booster does it?

What intake to head gasket did you use?
Dave I am going to be checking vac system this week
gasket at throttle body is new
IAC was not messed with
The tree is caped where no hose are

ill check out the lower intake manifold also
yes I have a vac booster for brakes and I have had some trouble with brake fluid leaks at master (Chinese)

Old 03-18-2019, 11:38 PM
Tim Young
Post Fiend
Tim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputation
Thanks for the update!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I gambled and maybe I

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.