Notices

I gambled and maybe I

Old 03-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Glaser67
Senior User
Glaser67 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is peculiar; the point of removing the spout plug is to dissadis the electronic spark advance. In my experience, upon removing the spout and setting base timing, the timing does not advance or change upon revving, the statement that your timing jumps with the spout unplugged is troublesome, it shouldn't advance whatsoever with the spout removed. Pardon the question, but you are removing the small jumper off the ignition control module when setting base timing correct?

Old 03-12-2019, 10:44 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by schoo View Post

it will not idle at 10 it starts to idle at about 22 that is with the spout removed it smooths out at 25.
I drove(with spout in) it up the street and it had low power no surge or bucking when checking with spout out it does advance
Your harmonic balancer's outer ring may have slipped. Get the #1 spark plug at TDC on the compression stroke and see where the timing marks are at in relation to the timing pointer.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 PM
Scndsin
Du Nawt Seek The Treasure
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
Yes always pull bat power before disconnecting ECU from it's main harness connector.

Not necessary for pulling SPOUT.

Was going to ask if you'd ever opened up ECU case & inspected for leaking capacitors.

If you can't get a good 10* initial timing, you might want to re-stab distributor.

You also might be 180* out as well. I THINK it's possible for it to run, but run like crap at 180* out.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:49 AM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold
Thank you guys I do appreciate the comments I was wondering about balancer.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:16 AM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold
What if I have the wrong TFI

Old 03-13-2019, 06:32 AM
schoo
Postmaster
Is there a difference between the aod and eaod tfi

Old 03-13-2019, 06:43 AM
Scndsin
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by schoo View Post
What if I have the wrong TFI

You should have a gray (not black) ICM, the ignition control module on the side of the distributor.

But even so if it was black, it shouldn't run as bad as you describe.

TFI is just the style of ignition control & is not dependent on the transmission.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:43 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Scndsin View Post
Yes always pull bat power before disconnecting ECU from it's main harness connector.

Not necessary for pulling SPOUT.

Was going to ask if you'd ever opened up ECU case & inspected for leaking capacitors.

If you can't get a good 10* initial timing, you might want to re-stab distributor.

You also might be 180* out as well. I THINK it's possible for it to run, but run like crap at 180* out.
It won't run at all 180* off.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:05 AM
schoo
Postmaster
It runs ok no backfire

Old 03-13-2019, 07:07 AM
schoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Scndsin View Post
You should have a gray (not black) ICM, the ignition control module on the side of the distributor.

But even so if it was black, it shouldn't run as bad as you describe.

TFI is just the style of ignition control & is not dependent on the transmission.
I got 2 with the distributor 1 marked for auto trans the other for manual trans

Old 03-13-2019, 09:26 AM
schoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Glaser67 View Post
That is peculiar; the point of removing the spout plug is to dissadis the electronic spark advance. In my experience, upon removing the spout and setting base timing, the timing does not advance or change upon revving, the statement that your timing jumps with the spout unplugged is troublesome, it shouldn't advance whatsoever with the spout removed. Pardon the question, but you are removing the small jumper off the ignition control module when setting base timing correct?
I have been chasing this so many times that I may have confused myself so the need to recheck when what happened with spout removed

Old 03-13-2019, 12:00 PM
schoo
Postmaster
Sometimes I wish I knew what I was doing anyway I replaced the TFI with the one marked for manual trans, checked the timing at idle itís 30í advance shut off put the spout back in and test drive it lots of power very quick too rpms so?? Maybe get another timing light

Old 03-13-2019, 02:34 PM
Scndsin
Ummmm. 30 degrees of base timing would melt your brand new pistons under strong acceleration with these things weak assed fuel systems.

If you didn't hear some severe spark knock, something is very screwy.

I strongly recommend pulling plug #1 and rotating the engine slowly with a breaker bar & something like 8 inches of coat hanger held on the top of the piston till you can get for sure top-dead-center & look at your timing marks & where the rotor points in the bottom of the cap.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:44 PM
Scndsin
I keep forgetting you've got an 89

Rock auto has 2 listings for an 89 E-150, 5.0 ICM

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...111666&jsn=479

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=480&jsn=480

$50.99 & (WTF$$$) $124.79

I'd put a Mototrcraft part on it at all costs.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:21 PM
schoo
Postmaster
I have the one on my old distributor I all ready looked at I’ll have too make up a tool to get it off. I don’t hear any ping and when I first set up tdc I did ck the piston with a wire I just have a hard time believing the balancer has moved no vibration.
The distrbutor manufacturer said not to use a timing light with a advance dial I don’t get that? I have old gas in it so should I get 5 gal of 93 octane the other engines I had I just turned up the advance until it pinged then backed it off some but with a computer I don’t want to do that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I gambled and maybe I

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.