Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,444 Likes on 2,841 Posts
The big problem is that with the new generation coming up that will soon be nation leaders and elected officials, anything is possible...

Supposed to be 50 degrees in a couple of hours, headed out now to work on the camper some more.

Zach, keep the pictures coming! We love to watch others doing work!

Old 01-12-2019, 06:34 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
My thoughts on the gun rhetoric:

The pilots flying the F22s are US. The goons coming out to take our guns are WE. The tank drivers to put down a gun protest are PATRIOTS. The gun rights advocates imply we need the guns or the government will have lawn enforcement/military get us. Those guys are OUR guys, not the government's.

If I loose my semi-autos, that's a fraction of my "armory". Semi-autos are fun to blast away at the range, but they're not for protection of life - I don't want anything that risks a jam, and I don't want a crazy to have it because of the power of mass destruction when it doesn't jam. I want something that puts the bass turd down every single time I squeeze.

My medical insurance rates skyrocketed shortly after the Republicans kicked the slats out from under the ACA. The Government has printed so much cash that if anybody calls us on it, it's worthless - possibly triggering hyperinflation. We're due for a recession (they're cyclical, and it's time), and the government is playing footsie with consumer confidence with this shut-down. I think we have other issues to address before the gun rights frenzy.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:13 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly

The pilots flying the F22s are US. The goons coming out to take our guns are WE. The tank drivers to put down a gun protest are PATRIOTS. The gun rights advocates imply we need the guns or the government will have lawn enforcement/military get us. Those guys are OUR guys, not the government's.
That's how I see it.
If I loose my semi-autos, that's a fraction of my "armory". Semi-autos are fun to blast away at the range, but they're not for protection of life - I don't want anything that risks a jam, and I don't want a crazy to have it because of the power of mass destruction when it doesn't jam. I want something that puts the bass turd down every single time I squeeze.
Get an H&K (or two).
My medical insurance rates skyrocketed shortly after the Republicans kicked the slats out from under the ACA. The Government has printed so much cash that if anybody calls us on it, it's worthless - possibly triggering hyperinflation. We're due for a recession (they're cyclical, and it's time), and the government is playing footsie with consumer confidence with this shut-down. I think we have other issues to address before the gun rights frenzy.
You are the first one I heard speak negatively of the sinking of ACA. most people are thankful that it is gone. I believe that anyone who is working for a living or is genuinely unable to work for a living shouldn't have to worry about healthcare. It's a controversial thought but I would prefer to see a sales tax who's proceeds go totally towards healthcare but I understand that it would probably be a mismanaged program.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:44 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts

I guess my thought is this. We don't command the military in any way. The orders come, ultimately, from the president elect....which is who? Government. I would love, LOVE to believe the military will have our backs, and maybe they will Red Dawn style....but maybe my idea of humans is getting in the way here. I have no faith in humanity. On a local level, it's always CYA....so it shall be on the global level. Look how it goes down in natural disasters when the NG comes to town. It's a gun in your face for any resistance, perceived or real. That speaks volumes to me.

Anyways, no matter. In my mind, what is written to happen will happen. I am going surfing.

Maybe someone ex-military can chime in for a more realistic and correct approach than mine. Happy Saturday all!!

Old 01-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Quality weapons and ammo will jam or misfire, but it is rare if quality equipment is used and maintained well. .

The medical system is screwed because of the inflated cost of health care. Not because of the ACA, lack there of or anything else out there. The ACA may have been a step in the right direction, but it didn't work for just as many people as it did work for. Health care costs are stupid high, that is the problem, not health care itself.

I don't believe that we need guns to protect ourselves from government or military. I believe we need guns to protect ourselves from ourselves. If the government comes for you, they will get you whether you have guns or not, that has been proven time and time again. Same for law enforcement of any sort. Be it any of the acronyms like FBI, DEA, CIA, ETC... "Our guys" will be following orders until there is a breaking point, and that is what is typically refereed to as a revolution. Until that point, "our guys" are their guys because they have a job to do just like you and I do. Support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic ring a bell?

I prefer semi-auto weapons and should be authorized to purchase and use what I feel comfortable with as a law abiding citizen.

When there is a shooting there is blame on the weapon... When there is a bombing there is blame on the assailant...

I should have every right to defend my home and family as I see fit, not as how someone that is 1000 miles away from me with body guards, walls around their home and a driver sees fit.

If we are worried about the suffering of humanity, death and destruction that weapons cause, then lets make all things that cause suffering, death and destruction illegal, like drugs or falling or cars...

Source: https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-to...s-guns-falling

It comes down to control of the people. The fight over illegal drugs was lost a long time ago, so "they" move onto something else.

The only time this country stands together is when there is massive suffering, death and destruction and it is a damn shame. It takes something like 9/11 for us all to stop crying, bitching, pissing and moaning in order to stand as brothers and sisters.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Quality weapons and ammo will jam or misfire, but it is rare if quality equipment is used and maintained well. .

The medical system is screwed because of the inflated cost of health care. Not because of the ACA, lack there of or anything else out there. The ACA may have been a step in the right direction, but it didn't work for just as many people as it did work for. Health care costs are stupid high, that is the problem, not health care itself.

I don't believe that we need guns to protect ourselves from government or military. I believe we need guns to protect ourselves from ourselves. If the government comes for you, they will get you whether you have guns or not, that has been proven time and time again. Same for law enforcement of any sort. Be it any of the acronyms like FBI, DEA, CIA, ETC... "Our guys" will be following orders until there is a breaking point, and that is what is typically refereed to as a revolution. Until that point, "our guys" are their guys because they have a job to do just like you and I do. Support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic ring a bell?

I prefer semi-auto weapons and should be authorized to purchase and use what I feel comfortable with as a law abiding citizen.

When there is a shooting there is blame on the weapon... When there is a bombing there is blame on the assailant...

I should have every right to defend my home and family as I see fit, not as how someone that is 1000 miles away from me with body guards, walls around their home and a driver sees fit.

If we are worried about the suffering of humanity, death and destruction that weapons cause, then lets make all things that cause suffering, death and destruction illegal, like drugs or falling or cars...

Source: https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-to...s-guns-falling

It comes down to control of the people. The fight over illegal drugs was lost a long time ago, so "they" move onto something else.

The only time this country stands together is when there is massive suffering, death and destruction and it is a damn shame. It takes something like 9/11 for us all to stop crying, bitching, pissing and moaning in order to stand as brothers and sisters.
Best post this week. I am in rep jail, sooooo....but thanks for some clarification.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Changed 6 spark plugs on our 2008 Subaru Tribeca with 110,000 miles today. The Subaru has an H-6 engine with horizontally opposed cylinders. 2 were not bad, 2 were a pain in the *** and 2 were a bitch...

GP's don't seem too hard after these spark plugs.

Back to work on the 5th wheel solar tomorrow, despite the cold weather.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:42 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
My wife has a 2007. Hate it. No... really... I hate getting under that hood. I prefer the Prius... all I need to do is swap the D-cell battery.

The plugs on the Prius are a piece of cake - with that glow plug spin tube I made for Stinky.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:27 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
My wife has a 2007. Hate it. No... really... I hate getting under that hood. I prefer the Prius... all I need to do is swap the D-cell battery.

The plugs one the Prius are a piece of cake - with that glow plug spin tube I made for Stinky.
We love our Subaru. Frankly, other than the belt, plugs and a relay it has been trouble free for 110,000 miles. It is a great get around car with 7 passenger seating that does as well in the mountains on dirt/mud roads as it does in cities. We think we will always have a Subaru from now on.

As I was resting during changing the plugs, I was admiring how everything was pinned down, routed well and most parts said Denso on them. They are not for everyone and if I had to work on it a lot, I would have a different perspective I am sure.

As long as it is good to us though, we will appreciate it and do what we can to take care of it so it takes care of us.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:38 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sous, I see that you have the 6 cylinder. Do you know how the 4 banger is laid out in a Forester? More convenient or not? Getting close to pulling the trigger but it seems that the rear/side vision camera option may only be on the higher end of the H-6 versions.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:43 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I've been looking too. Wife needs a new car and we been talking of moving north.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:47 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Changed 6 spark plugs on our 2008 Subaru Tribeca with 110,000 miles today. The Subaru has an H-6 engine with horizontally opposed cylinders. 2 were not bad, 2 were a pain in the *** and 2 were a bitch...
The spark plugs on my '97 5.4L F-150 were a p-a-i-n. COP was great but it took all day (8 hours) to do. The two in the back were ridiculous and I had to lift the fuel rail on one side.

When I was done I fired it up and gas came pouring out of the rail. Shut it down and took the rail back off. Turns out one of the o-rings came out of the groove and did not seal at the fuel injector.

My dad had a 2001 GMC 8.1L gasser at the time and it took him 20 minutes to swap all his spark plugs and he let me know it...regularly.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:02 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
Sous, I see that you have the 6 cylinder. Do you know how the 4 banger is laid out in a Forester? More convenient or not? Getting close to pulling the trigger but it seems that the rear/side vision camera option may only be on the higher end of the H-6 versions.
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
I've been looking too. Wife needs a new car and we been talking of moving north.
The 2.5 Subaru Outback has them on both sides, not hard with the correct tools. I’m guessing here but the Forester probably has the same engine. Probably a quick search on YouTube will confirm...

Old 01-14-2019, 06:27 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Ours is a 2008 and I think there have been revisions since then. We really like the H-6 because of the low center of gravity and performance it offers. The 2 rear most cylinders were tough to do because the subframe is so close to the engine. Now that I am in the house and chilling out, I think I could do the job in about 2 hours instead of the 4 it took me. I learned a couple of tricks, but since the plugs won't come out again for another 5 years or so, I will probably forget them.

The newer Subarus with the 2.5 turbo or the 2.4 (I think) turbo are nice too. We plan to get an Outback when the Tribeca has to leave us.

This thing is a beast and we have no reservations about taking anywhere within reason of course. We really like how Subaru is very pet friendly oriented as a company as well.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:48 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
Those Boxer engines are ok but suffer from head gasket problems, specially the turbo models.

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***