*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:14 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 218 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Nice
Considered doing very similar on the DS tied in with the block heater. Would give me one plug for heater n smart charger when its cold n batteries need topped off the worst
I actually put 2 Marinco inlets on mine, driver's side for block warmer and pass side for Deltran battery tender.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:32 AM
Colorado Horseman
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
I've missed a lot of posts on here... turkey with a bow! That's gotta be tough!
We had a lot of turkeys chasing hoppers across the pasture in what looked to be a skirmish line, but would scatter in all directions as soon as we were detected as far as 100 yards off.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:59 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Morning everyone. Enjoying a much needed day off and looking forward to the expected temps of 50* and sunny. I am sure it will be accompanied by 50 mph winds . It's always something here in Nebraska. Hope everyone has a great day.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:55 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Hey guys, I updated that no-start for anyone that was following. Hope you all are well and good!

Old 12-14-2018, 04:25 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Been working in my basement setting it up to be a wood shop. Running 2-2-2-4 wire for a sub-panel. 8 gauge wire for a 22"x42" wood lathe, then a bunch of other 20 amp dedicated circuits for additional power tools and air cleaners. Going to paint the walls with Drylok and the floor with garage epoxy. Installing some R-23 fire resistant and sound reducing insulation in the cieling joists after painting the bottom edge a dark brown to give them a bit of a beam/rafter look instead of just floor joists.

I plan to work in the basement on crappy weather days and in the 5th wheel trailer (installing 400 watt solar and all of the goodies) on good weather days.

Not sure why I shared all of that with everyone, but I am just chilling by the Christmas tree with a cold beer and thought I would type out a bit of how my day went.

Hope yours was just as good...

Old 12-14-2018, 05:17 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,132 Likes on 644 Posts
Isn't that the point of this thread Sous?
I'm sitting here researching clutches and getting part #s to order once i get the blessing from "the boss"

Old 12-14-2018, 05:19 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I am sure you know this brother, but the 1939OHD from South Bend gets my vote every day of the week. I have it on good authority that someone has a 1944-6OK-HD for sale on this forum though if you are interested in that one. South Bend might be expensive, but man do they make a great product.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Oh believe me I've researched the poo out of south bend over the past week, particularly those two clutches However at this point it looks like the Valair NMU70241-HD is the current way I'm leaning
Clicky Linky

Old 12-14-2018, 06:36 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sous
Been working in my basement setting it up to be a wood shop. Running 2-2-2-4 wire for a sub-panel. 8 gauge wire for a 22"x42" wood lathe, then a bunch of other 20 amp dedicated circuits for additional power tools and air cleaners. Going to paint the walls with Drylok and the floor with garage epoxy. Installing some R-23 fire resistant and sound reducing insulation in the cieling joists after painting the bottom edge a dark brown to give them a bit of a beam/rafter look instead of just floor joists.

I plan to work in the basement on crappy weather days and in the 5th wheel trailer (installing 400 watt solar and all of the goodies) on good weather days.

Not sure why I shared all of that with everyone, but I am just chilling by the Christmas tree with a cold beer and thought I would type out a bit of how my day went.

Hope yours was just as good...
I love updates of my FTE brothers. It's what this thread is all about.

Sounds like a damn good plan Sous. Great way to make use of bad weather days.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:39 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Oh believe me I've researched the poo out of south bend over the past week, particularly those two clutches However at this point it looks like the Valair NMU70241-HD is the current way I'm leaning
Clicky Linky
Umm, wait wait wait. I like Dan a whole bunch and he is a really good guy, but I know of two guys this year that have had bad luck with those clutches on there OBS trucks. If it were me, and I know you know I always say this, but I would go with it LUK set up any day of the week unless I was running huge horsepower. And what Sous said about South bend is true as well.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:02 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro

Im really soo tired of researching Been reading reviews on those 3 brands across a slew of different sites all week. The problems i read about south bends include the pedal staying on the floor and not returning on its own, plus their own recommendation to never downshift because the components are only meant for torque to be applied thru them in one direction under load which means no engine breaking downhill when towing
Oh and it wouldn't be THAT clutch in an OBS would it? (not the same part #s), the OBS have a ZF5 we have ZF6

Old 12-14-2018, 07:37 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
SkySkiJason only installs SB clutches and he makes some insane tricks.

Since he did my install, I called SB and went with the 1939OHD on their recommendation. The clutch has performed flawlessly, even with 12K lbs strapped to its a$$.

No issues with pedal return. As a matter of fact, the pedal provides much better feedback since the install, the new master cylinder only enhanced that as well.

Don't down shift? That is the first I have heard that and I can tell you with confidence that engine braking should not be a problem with any quality clutch.

Sounds to me like you are investing too much time and effort into free advice. That is what I am providing as well, but for as long as I own my truck I hope to have a SB clutch installed.

There are several varieties that SB sells, so maybe the naysayers installed the wrong part for their application.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:32 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Sous , think i misinterpreted the info on their own website
Link next to last question, scroll way down

After rereading it a couple times i think maybe they mean slipping the clutch in say 1st gear to slow down from a speed you would be in say 3rd or 4th for? Kind of vague. Googling downshift and SB keywords gave a lot of negative posts on many a truck forum

Old 12-14-2018, 09:35 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sous
SkySkiJason only installs SB clutches and he makes some insane tricks.

Since he did my install, I called SB and went with the 1939OHD on their recommendation. The clutch has performed flawlessly, even with 12K lbs strapped to its a$$.

No issues with pedal return. As a matter of fact, the pedal provides much better feedback since the install, the new master cylinder only enhanced that as well.

Don't down shift? That is the first I have heard that and I can tell you with confidence that engine braking should not be a problem with any quality clutch.

Sounds to me like you are investing too much time and effort into free advice. That is what I am providing as well, but for as long as I own my truck I hope to have a SB clutch installed.

There are several varieties that SB sells, so maybe the naysayers installed the wrong part for their application.
What he said ^^^^^^

Old 12-14-2018, 10:05 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Sous , think i misinterpreted the info on their own website
Link next to last question, scroll way down

After rereading it a couple times i think maybe they mean slipping the clutch in say 1st gear to slow down from a speed you would be in say 3rd or 4th for? Kind of vague. Googling downshift and SB keywords gave a lot of negative posts on many a truck forum
So, the way I read that answer is that if a driver is dropping down gears and intentionally letting the RPM jump up without rev matching, then yes you would be using the clutch improperly. If some one is dropping down gears and rev matching while letting up on the clutch pedal, then letting the RPM come down or maintain speed on a down grade, that is OK.

The manual that came with the clutch said not to lug the engine or engage the clutch during a high engine speed/RPM.

After writing what I just did, I went and Googled "downshift south bend". I read through a few posts on various forums and was not surprised to see advice similar to what I had wrote.

Look at it this way, no matter what clutch you get they are all basically the same thing with relatively similar friction material, springs and hard parts. Why would it be OK to down shift in all other clutches but South Bend? I get it that I probably overpaid for my 1939OHD, but part of that cost also paid for the extra friction material on the disc and the confidence I now have in the clutch. There are zero slipping issues, very little spring rattle at idle with clutch disengaged and very firm and confident shifts.

I think this clutch will last well over 100,000 miles if used properly and not abused.

As for naysayers, well people talked a lot of crap about a car I bought new in 2004. It was an Audi S4 with the first NA 4.2 liter engine when the S4 had always been a TT. Well, that was one of the best cars I have ever driven and was a beast of an engine. Some people **** and moan about anything.

EDIT: Just read a post about how down shifting is "bad for engine and turbo bearings", well I guess we are all screwed.

EDIT 2: Just read a bunch more posts about down shifting, even some where a guy named Peter from South Bend replied. He pretty much said the same thing, rev matching is key. In a situation where a clutch failed, the driver was going down a grade with a heavy load. He down shifted and "missed a couple gears". Then he disengaged the clutch, throttled to 3,000 RPM and dropped the clutch. This was on a 12" disc clutch, which was destroyed.

Drive smart and like an adult and you should be fine. From what I hear, you shift so smooth it could be mistaken for a 4R100...

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***