Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 01:09 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Deep Thoughts brought to you by Brian42...

In my opinion the signature is whatever you feel to put in the small space provided. Whether it is a bunch of acronyms representing the modifications to your truck. The extracurricular activities that you are passionate about. A funny quote or a joke and/or nothing at all.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:17 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by brian42

Am I off-base on this and I've been running around this forum all these years with a ruler and didn't know it? Does it make me a jerk for auto-loading several lines of info every time I click 'reply'?
No, but seeing your @brian42 "Signature Quote", I looked up the thread...very enlightening.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:19 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Is there some kind of ettiquette to user signatures? Is there some unwritten bro code on this that I don't know about? Did I miss a sticky somewhere? Or is this our way of peeking over the divider of our virtual urinals in today's digital bathroom?

I've seen the whole gamut from posting naked (no signature), to name/truck only, all the way to spewing out everything they've done to their truck until they reach the maximum characters allowed.

Things change over time but I'm just curious if people think they are useful or if you judge people by them? If someone drives a Porsche I have a preconceived notion of their elitest persona; but if they are also wearing Porsche driving gloves, a Porsche jacket, and Porsche racing glasses I will automatically elevate them to douche status before they even say a word. Is that what a signature does?

I've had more than my share of issues with my truck over the years (the last few years fairly consistently) and have received plenty of guidance and recommendations from here on how to proceed. I have changed some of the info over the years, and, admittedly added some superfluous things (but usually to be humorous).

I dismissed the low hanging fruit and never considered it signature-worthy. Nobody wants to see what grease I use, how many miles I have on my tires, or if I have 6 adhesive faux chrome fender vents from APC on my truck with every post I make.

If it was something I learned about here, seen a lot of threads on, or have been asked about I put it in my signature. I think it (my signature) also answers the question of "what year truck and mods do you have?" when I have a leak, noise, or other problem. I don't have to run down the laundry list of stuff so that everyone else knows what I'm dealing with and can help me diagnose XXX. What wiring configuration do you have?, is it a GEM or VSM truck?, etc., can all be answered by glancing at my signature. I've also included major items that may interest others and can PM me about them, "Hey Brian, I see that you have XXX. What do you think of it? Where did you get it? Do you think it was worth it? How hard was it to pass your freakin' smog test?"

Am I off-base on this and I've been running around this forum all these years with a ruler and didn't know it? Does it make me a jerk for auto-loading several lines of info every time I click 'reply'?

YES!

Old 11-21-2018, 01:25 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"It's getting harder these days and I'm sure there are "plain clothes" inspectors running around so the shops don't know who's a mole and who's a customer."

The state "moles" go even further than just looking over the shop guy's shoulder. The guy that I used to use lost his license when they came in with a "test car" that had a flaw that they deliberately disguised for the test and he missed it.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:28 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Is there some kind of ettiquette to user signatures? Is there some unwritten bro code on this that I don't know about? Did I miss a sticky somewhere? Or is this our way of peeking over the divider of our virtual urinals in today's digital bathroom?
Ooooohhhh, I am so curious as to what spurred this thought into words!

I don't have to run down the laundry list of stuff so that everyone else knows what I'm dealing with and can help me diagnose XXX.
Also though, please remember my friend, people that view the site on a mobile platform (phone, ipad, etc) have a different interface and sigs aren't shown.

Stewart

Old 11-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Seriously Brian, I fill mine out because it provides an “informational shortcut” when/if I have a problem or questions about something going on with my truck. And being an E99, hopefully it’ll offer insight to someone else with questions on these freaks. If someone judges me or thinks I’m a jerk for it that’s their opinion and well...I don’t care! I’ve been called a lot worse than a jerk BUT when CHIT hits the fan, I’m the jerk you’ll want on your side period.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:05 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Ooooohhhh, I am so curious as to what spurred this thought into words!
Just seen the sine wave of signature length over the years and some get wordy (like mine) and some are short to non-existent.

Mine was very basic when I first started (the truck was all stock anyway) and the signature didn't really dawn on me until I ventured out of the safety of the 7.3L family. I felt like some places I had to have some kind of printed validation (signature) to review when someone read my post.

The Jeep guys are some of the worst. No offense to those here that have one but, WOW. The only thing worse than asking a non-Wrangler question is apparently owning a Jeep that isn't a Wrangler. I learned quickly that any question I had about my wife's Liberty should only discussed in a Liberty-only forum (KJ/KK) lest I receive more typed abuse.

I've seen other forums that seem to have a younger crowd and every signature is filled with everything. Lists of stuff that aren't conversation items like some of the stuff I mentioned before. I'm pretty sure not a lot of people care what color wires you used to connect your light bar with or how many decals are on your back window. The signature seems to be the clout you earn to contribute.

Around here we seem to be of a "mature" average age compared to most forum sections and everyone's genuine here and that's what I like. It's understood that we're not going to run around here talking like a Sailor (and I'm r-e-a-l-l-y good at it ) and I was just curious if signatures here are viewed as they are elsewhere.

What sparked me to ask the question was getting semi-blasted in another section trying to offer some advice based on my experience. They asked a question and solicited recommendations. I didn't agree with their thoughts and they were not pleased with my non-support. To be fair I think they were looking for someone to agree with the path they were taking for their vehicle and my recommendation did not align with their desires.

It's like when I cruise the Excursion section. I feel like I'm breaking into someone's house. If I chime in on a 7.3L question I'm wondering if they're thinking "who's this F-250 guy in my house??!?!".

Also though, please remember my friend, people that view the site on a mobile platform (phone, ipad, etc) have a different interface and sigs aren't shown.
I didn't think about that. I always select "view full site" on my phone.

Originally Posted by Colorado350
YES!
Thanks for the love John!

Part of the fun around here is that it is just that...fun.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:03 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Brian, you rule either way, so "do" Brian. I'm in full support of you being a jerk, er, yourself

But seriously, you do rule and I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. I guess I'll say I agree that the signature feature is to let people know what you drive, etc. It kinda says why you're here and gives an idea of what we are dealing with when helping with issues.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:04 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
... and I was just curious if signatures here are viewed as they are elsewhere.
Around here, I've only ever seen people let noobs know to fill out there sigs with their trucks particulars (I call it their rigs pedigree) so it's easier to answer questions. In the Ex forum it's almost a must, what with 4 different power plants for the Ex.

It's like when I cruise the Excursion section. I feel like I'm breaking into someone's house. If I chime in on a 7.3L question I'm wondering if they're thinking "who's this F-250 guy in my house??!?!".
Nope, I can say with all certainty, not at all!

Many times over the years we've had regular users in the Ex forum who didn't own Excursions. It's filled with a bigger mix of different personalities, but the Ex forum is probably the one forum at FTE that's similar in style to the 7.3L forum, in its esprit de corps

Stewart

Old 11-21-2018, 07:16 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Around here, I've only ever seen people let noobs know to fill out there sigs with their trucks particulars (I call it their rigs pedigree) so it's easier to answer questions. In the Ex forum it's almost a must, what with 4 different power plants for the Ex.Nope, I can say with all certainty, not at all!

Many times over the years we've had regular users in the Ex forum who didn't own Excursions. It's filled with a bigger mix of different personalities, but the Ex forum is probably the one forum at FTE that's similar in style to the 7.3L forum, in its esprit de corps

Stewart
I agree Stew. I love the Ex forum. Good guys and knowledgeable!

Old 11-21-2018, 07:47 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 218 Likes on 148 Posts
Old 11-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bigb56
OMFG! I think I’d want to be just left in the debris pile. . That video should be showed every new forklift operator out there!

Old 11-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,132 Likes on 644 Posts
Hey Clay, why are my parts delayed?

But yeah, i occasionally use one at work. Management loves to have the cheapest temps possible on the trucks in the warehouses, then complain when they lift the load into the sprinkler nozzles, or drop/damage the loads

Old 11-21-2018, 09:44 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
Used to... and wow, that video is painful to watch.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:50 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Ten characters...

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***