Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 09:31 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachinCO
I headed up to Buena Vista area about 4am to try and find an elk willing to hold still for me(no dice). I left my truck at my buddies house in Black Forest, took his truck up there(6.0 and he offered to drive). When we got back to his house the 1/8" thick ice on my windshield took 3 buckets of warm water to clear. Was an interesting drive home, all good once I got to the dirt roads.

Nice this morning on my little ranchette.
The freezing rain on Saturday was intense to say the least. I was shocked to see people actually leaving their home to go out into it. Glad you made it home safe, ice is unforgiving.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:00 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Pic didn't insert in my earlier post.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 PM
Colorado Horseman
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachinCO
I headed up to Buena Vista area about 4am to try and find an elk willing to hold still for me(no dice). I left my truck at my buddies house in Black Forest, took his truck up there(6.0 and he offered to drive). When we got back to his house the 1/8" thick ice on my windshield took 3 buckets of warm water to clear. Was an interesting drive home, all good once I got to the dirt roads.

Nice this morning on my little ranchette.
They were quite calm in my old home horse pasture in the early summer...

Daughter's mare says "Hey Bud, that's MY grass!"

Sure miss the old cabin!

Camp tent set in driveway to do maintenance for season. Cow elk along creek.

Once had to go to Florida for a few weeks to tend ill mother, Daughter called to inform "Dang bull elk pushed twenty of his cows through the fence - not over - through!" I replied "Fix it before the horses get out!" Sixteen year old daughter DID IT!

Great place for youngsters to grow!

Old 11-20-2018, 12:01 AM
Colorado Horseman
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Hunting the Flattops ( '78 )...

"Ole Tanglefoot" and I on the Ute Trail.

The gang and the game.

Bonfire, Backstrap and Beam!

Old 11-20-2018, 07:01 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Now those are some great pics, Colorado Horseman, thanks for sharing them.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:39 AM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Now those are some great pics, Colorado Horseman, thanks for sharing them.
Indeed! Back when guys didn't have to put on their high dollar camo and their 20x power scopes.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:13 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Here’s some pictures from the Manitou Incline after the weekend ice storm.

Here’s some information on the Incline: The Manitou Springs Incline, also known as the Manitou Inclineor simply the Incline, is a popular hiking trail rising above Manitou Springs, Colorado, near Colorado Springs. The trail is the remains of a former 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge
[1] funicular railway whose tracks washed out during a rock slide in 1990. The Incline is famous for its sweeping views and steep grade, with an average grade of 45% (24°) and as steep as 68% (34°) in places,[2] making it a fitness challenge for locals of the Colorado Springs area. The incline gains over 2,000 feet (610 m) of elevation in less than one mile.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:24 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350
Here’s some pictures from the Manitou Incline after the weekend ice storm.
Going to be in the Springs next week. If the weather cooperates I might finally attempt the Incline!

Old 11-20-2018, 06:13 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ArmyLifer

Going to be in the Springs next week. If the weather cooperates I might finally attempt the Incline!
‘Make sure you bring Yaktrax or the equivalent, both the incline and the Barr Trail is ice covered. It gets extremely slick when the Sun shines on the ice.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:07 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Have you considered a van turbo with a replacement billet wheel?
No wastegate so that's a non-starter. Wastegate and red/green lines weren't an issue 3 years ago but that's something that my smog shop looks at specifically now. Not just physically there but everything hooked up too.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:56 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42
No wastegate so that's a non-starter. Wastegate and red/green lines weren't an issue 3 years ago but that's something that my smog shop looks at specifically now. Not just physically there but everything hooked up too.
And what's funny is, those don't make a CHIT regarding emissions. At least if you are going to crack down on emissions, crack down on what really matters, right?

Old 11-21-2018, 11:16 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BBslider001
And what's funny is, those don't make a CHIT regarding emissions. At least if you are going to crack down on emissions, crack down on what really matters, right?
It all falls on the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair. They own the instruction. Unfortunately it specifically states that air and vacuum lines cannot be modified in any way (that goes for the CCV too...so even putting a trap in there is a violation). It's one of the few things that is specifically stated unlike something more subjective like "check the emissions equipment". Makes it hard to get around when it's spelled out clearly, regardless of its effect on emissions (if any). It's frustrating but I don't blame the shops, they are just doing their job and trying to keep their license and stay in business. I'm sure they receive more than their share of unfriendly customers when they are just executing the instructions that are given to them.

It's getting harder these days and I'm sure there are "plain clothes" inspectors running around so the shops don't know who's a mole and who's a customer.

You can undoubtedly find shops that are friendlier than others but there's no guarantee that they will be that way for the next round and I'm too old to disassemble/re-assemble or play smog station roulette ever other year.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Byron, are you sure you want to go back to California? I don’t think I could put up the regulations and the extremists that go with it. I have emissions today at 4pm. I know that the truck will pass once it’s hooked up to the unit the only potential fly in the ointment is will the guys pass it visually.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:30 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
My truck doesn't ever get hooked up to anything. The only part that is objective is that the tech has to see the SES light when they first turn the truck on and that it clears after startup. The rest is all on the tech to make the call (visual inspection, idle, and Snap Test).

Old 11-21-2018, 12:43 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Signature Ettiquette: Helpful Information or Narcissism?

Is there some kind of ettiquette to user signatures? Is there some unwritten bro code on this that I don't know about? Did I miss a sticky somewhere? Or is this our way of peeking over the divider of our virtual urinals in today's digital bathroom?

I've seen the whole gamut from posting naked (no signature), to name/truck only, all the way to spewing out everything they've done to their truck until they reach the maximum characters allowed.

Things change over time but I'm just curious if people think they are useful or if you judge people by them? If someone drives a Porsche I have a preconceived notion of their elitest persona; but if they are also wearing Porsche driving gloves, a Porsche jacket, and Porsche racing glasses I will automatically elevate them to douche status before they even say a word. Is that what a signature does?

I've had more than my share of issues with my truck over the years (the last few years fairly consistently) and have received plenty of guidance and recommendations from here on how to proceed. I have changed some of the info over the years, and, admittedly added some superfluous things (but usually to be humorous).

I dismissed the low hanging fruit and never considered it signature-worthy. Nobody wants to see what grease I use, how many miles I have on my tires, or if I have 6 adhesive faux chrome fender vents from APC on my truck with every post I make.

If it was something I learned about here, seen a lot of threads on, or have been asked about I put it in my signature. I think it (my signature) also answers the question of "what year truck and mods do you have?" when I have a leak, noise, or other problem. I don't have to run down the laundry list of stuff so that everyone else knows what I'm dealing with and can help me diagnose XXX. What wiring configuration do you have?, is it a GEM or VSM truck?, etc., can all be answered by glancing at my signature. I've also included major items that may interest others and can PM me about them, "Hey Brian, I see that you have XXX. What do you think of it? Where did you get it? Do you think it was worth it? How hard was it to pass your freakin' smog test?"

Am I off-base on this and I've been running around this forum all these years with a ruler and didn't know it? Does it make me a jerk for auto-loading several lines of info every time I click 'reply'?

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***