Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:43 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I simply love it when these hardhead and ignorant Nebraskan mid-westerners tell me how expensive CA is when they learn I from there. Um nope, your vehicle registration for both vehicles was 2 times my last CA registration. And your diesel is a whopping 10-15 cents cheaper than CA....so STFU!!!! LOL Even rental houses are nto chep and no one lives here. It's interesting.
I think a lot of people look at the taxes and the property cost and go from there. I know that places like LA and San Fran are more expensive simply because that is the way cities are. Cities are typically more expensive than rural areas, for most things. I mean I can pay $6 for a cheeseburger and fries at a real restaurant here in my area, or I can go 2 hours south to Atlanta and pay $12 for the same thing.

Also, property values and taxes on that property. I remember years ago I received a call about an assignment at the LA airport (LAX) to work a special duty position. I was interested at first, until I realized that a 3 bedroom house on .25 of an acre wast $750,000.

CA is more expensive than most states, but not as expensive as some states like NY or FL, or am I wrong there?

Remember I have never been to CA and really only plan to go to the northern part of the state because I don't care for desert and definitely am not a city person. Highway 1 along the coast is something we want to spend a lot of time on one day, looking forward to it.

On a side note, what do my CA bros think about the props being voted on? I was reading in a different forum. Sounds like another f***fest.
Isn't that the problem with the entire system, from local all the way up to the top? People voting based on skin color, sex or if their lapel pin is blue or red is just ignorant and not the way the system was designed, even if it is a flawed system. I am so, so, so damn tired of picking between the lesser of two evils that it sickens me to even check the news. My wife and I will usually not go to "news", but search "recent good news" get a different perspective on things.

Don't get me wrong, I still carry my weapon with me every time I leave the house, just in case some nut job wants to show how powerful he/she is and how they can impact someones life forever.

I stand strong as an independent conservative that reads, listens and learns about each candidate and each proposition being brought to the ballot for decision.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:10 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I think a lot of people look at the taxes and the property cost and go from there. I know that places like LA and San Fran are more expensive simply because that is the way cities are. Cities are typically more expensive than rural areas, for most things. Also, property values and taxes on that property. I remember years ago I received a call about an assignment at the LA airport (LAX) to work a special duty position. I was interested at first, until I realized that a 3 bedroom house on .25 of an acre wast $750,000.

CA is more expensive than most states, but not as expensive as some state like NY or FL, or am I wrong there?

Remember I have never been to CA and really only plan to go to the northern part of the state because I don't care for desert and definitely am not a city person. Highway 1 along the coast is something we want to spend a lot of time on one day, looking forward to it.

Isn't that the problem with the entire system, from local all the way up to the top? People voting based on skin color or sex is just ignorant and not the way the system was designed, even if it is a flawed system. I am so, so, so damn tired of picking between the lesser of two evils that it sickens me to even check the news. My wife and I will usually not go to "news", but search "recent good news" get a different perspective on things.

Don't get me wrong, I still carry my weapon with me every time I leave the house, just in case some nut job wants to show how powerful he/she is and how they can impact someones life forever.
Yes, you are correct on the property thing. Property taxes in CA are not that bad, believe it or not. Texas definitely beats the state on that one, but not sure about other areas. I do know Nebraska residents complain quite a bit on prop taxes, but I don't know how they compare simply because I do not own and not sure when I will. As far as day to day living, it's not much worse there than anywhere else these days. When we were in Texas last year,and my mid-range salary did not go any farther than it did back home. Yes, rent was a tad cheaper, but not in a way that we thought we were rolling in it all of the sudden. As far as the news goes, I feel pretty out of it. We cut the cord on satellite last year and haven't looked back. I only see the news if I go looking for it, which I just about never do.

And yes, I think your statement on the system is spot-on. Really, in short for me, I think these problems are a national and global one, not just state. I'll admit though, I get very, very, very tired of people quickly blaming CA for stuff that has nothing to do with anything. I hear it all the time because I currently reside in a place that is not CA LOL....but, as long as I have been nomadic, EVERY state complains about a nemesis....Californians hate Zonies, Texans hate Okies, Coloradoans hate Californians (don't know if they have an endearing name for us or not), etc, etc.....I just don't like people. I'm what's called an equal opportunity hater...I hate everyone equally LOL....but seriously, it's a human problem. Greed, corruption, self serving all takes over no matter where you're from.

Anyways, great convo Sous. And no, I don't hate my fellow FTE brethren. And I stand strong with you on that last sentiment. I think it's called Libertarian by some?

Old 11-06-2018, 08:20 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Remember, though, that Texas uses property taxes to compensate for zero state income tax, and Florida does the same thing. Not sure about Tennessee, though, but I expect it's the same there, too.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:42 AM
Silverhks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, Tennessee uses higher property and a slightly higher sales tax to offset the lack of income tax. I'm generally ok with that. On the other hand, our gas tax is a dedicated revenue stream for the highway network unlike most other states where it is allowed to go into the general fund.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:47 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Im amused with how much "work" comes about within the last 2mon of the year. Seems that every road, walkway..etc needs attention. Wouldnt happen to be in part of the overly inflated budget now would it? Ever seen Michael Douglas, Falling Down movie? Best movie made!

Old 11-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Yes, you are correct on the property thing. Property taxes in CA are not that bad, believe it or not. Texas definitely beats the state on that one, but not sure about other areas. I do know Nebraska residents complain quite a bit on prop taxes, but I don't know how they compare simply because I do not own and not sure when I will. As far as day to day living, it's not much worse there than anywhere else these days. When we were in Texas last year,and my mid-range salary did not go any farther than it did back home. Yes, rent was a tad cheaper, but not in a way that we thought we were rolling in it all of the sudden. As far as the news goes, I feel pretty out of it. We cut the cord on satellite last year and haven't looked back. I only see the news if I go looking for it, which I just about never do.

And yes, I think your statement on the system is spot-on. Really, in short for me, I think these problems are a national and global one, not just state. I'll admit though, I get very, very, very tired of people quickly blaming CA for stuff that has nothing to do with anything. I hear it all the time because I currently reside in a place that is not CA LOL....but, as long as I have been nomadic, EVERY state complains about a nemesis....Californians hate Zonies, Texans hate Okies, Coloradoans hate Californians (don't know if they have an endearing name for us or not), etc, etc.....I just don't like people. I'm what's called an equal opportunity hater...I hate everyone equally LOL....but seriously, it's a human problem. Greed, corruption, self serving all takes over no matter where you're from.

Anyways, great convo Sous. And no, I don't hate my fellow FTE brethren. And I stand strong with you on that last sentiment. I think it's called Libertarian by some?
Zonies, had to think about that one for a moment. At first I read it as Zombies...

Like you, I hate everyone equally and that is why I prefer to be in the country. I am good to and with friends and family (blood or not) and strangers I do my best to be polite and cordial, but I have very little patience for people on a general basis. That is why we bought a home in the country outside of a town with a population of 5,000. I hate going to "town" and get anxiety about it at times and if I am there too long, things go badly for me. Going to Atlanta or something to see a show, well that takes some preparation.

I don't consider myself Libertarian because some of those guys can be crazy. I have conservative beliefs because I think taking care of ourselves first, then reaching out to help others is very important. I don't like government, but tolerate it and see the need for some sort of governing body. I feel that Libertarians are more of the "get rid of all government" mindset, but could be wrong. Really I am the guy sitting in the corner of the room with my back against the wall and watching the door. I sit in a crowd of my own and like it off in that island.

That is why I say independent conservative. I will vote Democrat, Republican or third party if I feel that is the best candidate. The problem though is that we are so very often picking the lesser of two evils, and damnit I am tired of it.

Why do you think everyone knocks on or beats up on CA? I genuinely don't understand then. I consider you and many other FTE'rs friends and family, and I trust your advice and experience. Clearly not everyone on FTE is trustworthy, but I would say that most of this section of the forum is.

Why do people beat up on CA so much, instead of say NY, FL, WA, etc... There are plenty of "expensive" states with somewhat outlandish laws. I think it was Oregon that recently removed the law that an attendant had to pump fuel into your vehicle? Some people were making crazy claims that "only a professional that has training should pump fuel" because they just didn't know any better. NYC had that law, or tried to enact that law where you could not buy a soda that was larger than a liter or something. Everywhere has silly laws, why do you think CA is always in the bullseye?

Also, if you would prefer to take this to PM's in order to stay on topic in the off topic thread, I am OK with that.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
It's kinda like my wife and i have been saying for years, you really only get to vote FOR someone in the primary, you pretty much always vote AGAINST someone in the general election

Old 11-06-2018, 10:42 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Why do people beat up on CA. Everywhere has silly laws, why do you think CA is always in the bullseye?.
because all this stupid idears/laws originate from this state...thinkb about how this/these ideas manifest into reality throughout the rest of the country. Couple that with how this country is heading(milliniums and all out people that sue to better their lives or in everyone else business)..etc, give this place anutha 25yrs, i sure hope we (country) has enough money to BUY our freedom because, i just dont see the new faces in the future, having a backbone...sure hope im wrong/fighters out there still/raised

Old 11-06-2018, 12:40 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Sous, the off topic thread is fine with me....and hopefully you know I wasn't pointing at you or anyone in particular here. I get jabs in the small Nebraska town we have been in the past year, I get jabs at the Ranch school I attended, so I am kinda tired of it. My wife made a great point today. ANYWHERE where people become masses in number, like Texas and Colorado have for example, starts going down this road. I don't think it has anything to do with geography or the state, or rather that it has been so crowded for so long...as in the last 50 years. More laws to seem to make sense to people to get things under control or for the government to find a way to pay for things. But then corruption and greed step in and it all goes Haywire.

I don't really know what the answer is. I'd like to ask some of those people the same question myself.

And no, I don't get butthurt...more like "shut up already and say something new or worthwhile"

Old 11-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
because all this stupid idears/laws originate from this state.
Well, not "all." We've just become the easy blame.

I really enjoy this forum. It's easy to kick back and enjoy the fellowship, brotherhood, esprit de corps. And while we're doing a really good job to not talk politics (we're just kinda skirting the edge), let's not push too far about this topic because politics is only allowed to be discussed in The Club forum.

Thanks guys.

Stewart

Old 11-06-2018, 01:25 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I don't feel you were pointing at me, not at all. I have been guilty of riding the "CA is too expensive" train, but that is only because I am ignorant on how CA really runs on a daily basis. One state or group of people will always pick and gripe about another. Hell, there are people here in north GA that hate SC, even though we live 1 mile from the SC border and go to the "big town" in SC when we need to visit a box store.

I just think it is interesting that CA is the brunt of the criticism and ridicule despite other states having similar outlandish laws. The emissions regulations there for example. I see the need for them based on what I have read here where the air quality is so much better in urban areas, but dang some of the hoops you fellas have to jump through are awfully small and sometimes on fire. We all have BS to put up with, and I hope that you are happy when you get back to your homeland.

I was stationed in NE for 2 years, I don't miss that crap for one second...

Old 11-06-2018, 02:54 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
When I'm looking for the bottom of my fuel tank I keep a can in the back.
If I know I'm going to flirt with danger I carry a reserve as well. This time it was more of a happenstance and I was not intending to get down to the foam.

Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Anybody else's OCD went off the scale, after seeing Brians fuel #

Couldnt get that last 8 cents, hey Bri..lol
My OCD goes the other way. I get my fuel from the MCAS near me. It's currently 35¢/gal cheaper than out in town (add $10.99 to that price if I filled up near my house). I use one of two pumps, park in the same spot, insert the filler to the same spot, and set it on the lowest speed setting. This creates the least amount of backpressure to get the tank as full as possible with a known quantity ("full"). I have seen the froth coming up the neck as the pump shuts off and then dies down as it reaches the nozzle so I don't try to "top off".

I hand calculate every tank to monitor performance as that is an indication of a potential issue if I'm not driving differently. Sounds a little far-fetched but that's one of the indications that led me to my injector o-rings last year.

If I top off I don't have a consistent fill point to be able to compare fuel economy tank to tank. My OCD is still there just from a different standpoint.

Why do you think everyone knocks on or beats up on CA?
I'm used to it. Why go to the lake when you can shoot fish in a barrel?

Old 11-06-2018, 04:05 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Yay. Another disappointing day on the "new to us" 5th wheel shopping front. Seems like there is always 1 of the 5 requirements we have that's missing from the floorplans we search. What stupid designers do they have planning the bunkhouse models? Sleeping for 10! With only an eating table and chairs for 2..... Or a big u shaped dinnette for 6 people, with a "kitchen" that has no where to actually make the meals if you plan on using the sink or stove

Old 11-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Yay. Another disappointing day on the "new to us" 5th wheel shopping front. Seems like there is always 1 of the 5 requirements we have that's missing from the floorplans we search. What stupid designers do they have planning the bunkhouse models? Sleeping for 10! With only an eating table and chairs for 2..... Or a big u shaped dinnette for 6 people, with a "kitchen" that has no where to actually make the meals if you plan on using the sink or stove
I feel for ya. We looked a long time before we bought this one about a month ago. But we were looking at toy haulers. Need to carry some of the grand kids toys for are son. We found one we can live with, it's clean has almost everything we wanted, but nothing we had to have was missing. Good luck on your search.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:28 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Been looking about a year now, kids are taller and out of diapers n playpens now so starting to get impatient on more room while camping. Found a KZ we might go check if we can add a second ac

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***