Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 02:45 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Turns out I was premature in my original statement She pointed to the diesel, but once we got outside someone else came out and corrected her. The diesels are considered trucks, while the nearly identical gas F250 is a pickup and the one I got. Dang it! The diesel is $10/day more plus miles Oh well ..

Old 06-05-2018, 03:10 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
They are nice vehicles, that is for sure. I cannot see myself paying that kind of money though.

We had a 6.6 Duramax at work that I would drive from time to time. I liked the truck well enough, but preferred my 7.3. Plus, the DEF tank in the Chevy is just stupid looking.

Been working my *** off since I retired last week at the house. Most days we are making the camper our own with our own touches. Other times it is a project around the house. My wife said to be this afternoon, "so, when are we going camping?" Which translates into "I want to go camping".

Old 06-05-2018, 04:16 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
We had a 6.6 Duramax at work that I would drive from time to time. I liked the truck well enough, but preferred my 7.3.
Drove my dad's '06 6.6 for 9 months while mine was in "limbo". On paper it bests mine in pretty much every category (power, towing, fuel economy, air conditioning, etc.) but I hated the way it felt. I never felt comfortable driving it and it doesn't have any personality like mine does, even though it seems to be mad at me more often than not.

It was an extended cab so that might have had something to do with it. Blind spots, no legroom for the kids, and it felt cramped compared to my spacious crew cab.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:50 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
This is nice ,but I'd have to get used to the interview interior. It's nice, lots of features, but it just seems too busy too clunky. That and it didn't come with power folding mirrors. Had to get out to back into a tight spot in a parking garage.

Last edited by SaintITC; 06-05-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Dang autocorrect
Old 06-05-2018, 05:22 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Portland sounds nice, the Pacific salmon run should be on right about now.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:35 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" the Pacific salmon run should be on right about now."

I've been away from commercial fishing for so long I have no idea what (or if) the seasons are anymore. We used to rig for Albies around the 4th of July but my last season at it, guys were going to Tahiti to find them. 8 to 10 thousand gallons of fuel before you even got to the fishing grounds was just plain dumb to me.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:38 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Traffic is insane right now. Drove almost 20 miles parallel to I-5 in little neighborhoods, and the bicyclists were keeping up with me. But it's a pretty city, weather is gorgeous (but maybe I'm just attuned to all the rain back home) and I enjoyed all the old cars in the neighborhood's. I didn't mind the bikers slowing me down, too much to look at to do the 20mph limit!

Old 06-05-2018, 07:49 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Sitting at a restaurant on the Washington side of the Columbia River, looks like seafood and Irish stout for dinner tonight.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:37 PM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow sitting here lurking around been a few years since i was here reg and i remembered one of my wifes bee hives got destroyed today she had mistakenly turned the elect fence off so i fixed the fence it got messed up to and turned it on went back inside and thought i need to put a trail cam out see what it was as i didnt find any tracks walking out there getting dark here now so i got a flash light and started walking to where the bees are and bam three bears big momma two cubs so was yelling so my wife could see um but they stepped back in the woods looked like they got shocked and were trying to figure it out as they wanted more honey so i fired a warning shot went over there and set up a camera so i will see in the morning if they are scared of the fence or not maybe pics to come. i just had to tell someone pretty cool three bears in the yard

Old 06-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Turns out I was premature in my original statement She pointed to the diesel, but once we got outside someone else came out and corrected her. The diesels are considered trucks, while the nearly identical gas F250 is a pickup and the one I got. Dang it! The diesel is $10/day more plus miles Oh well ..
I would have told her I changed my mind, "I want the diesel". I have no problem repelling the idea of having a 6.7 for myself. When I fly to warmer or tropical climates, I always rent a convertible (Jeep, Mustang, whatever) but it never tempted me to buy one when I got home.

Originally Posted by SaintITC
Sitting at a restaurant on the Washington side of the Columbia River, looks like seafood and Irish stout for dinner tonight.
A lot of people don't wrap their head around what an impressive river the Columbia is unless they've traveled the length of it. I've been along the Mississippi and the Missouri and they are impressive rivers, but they just don't have that elevation change or the dramatic terrain/climate of the West. There has been a huge snow pack in the headwaters of the Columbia this year (150% of normal) and we had a warm spell a couple of weeks back. The flow through the river was among the highest I've ever seen it, and the Hydroelectric dams were all releasing Niagara-sized falls. Imagine being able to visit a different Niagara falls every 50 or so miles along the river - 11 of them (on the US side).

Old 06-06-2018, 10:19 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
It's a work rental, upgrading for personal desires for some reason is problematic for the accounting team we have.
Last time I was on the Columbia was with the USS Frederick (LST1184) in 2001 as we docked in Portland, on the Willamette River, to join in with Portland's Rose Festival that year. Watching sailboats last night during dinner it was apparent the Columbia is a fast flowing river, The strong wind was clearly favoring up river travel, yet under full and spinnakers the boats were hardly moving. My Wednesday appointment has been shifted to this evening, so I'm thinking of driving up to the Cloud Cap Inn by Mt Hood. Accounting has no problems paying for gas..

Old 06-07-2018, 05:57 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,132 Likes on 644 Posts

wow.

So I read the dimensions, I'm told on here repeatedly it will fit, but dang if it doesn't look huge. Item # display pictures do this thing no justice.

yup. Got in my next oil filter.

Here's the picture they should show on the websites

Almost a shame to bury it underneath the truck where no one will see it. Oh well. Have a busy maintenance day planned this weekend. Oil change to fleetguard full synthetic, diff fluid change to Mobil1 full synthetic, and flush the power steering fluid (ATF) also full synthetic. May flush the brake fluid just cause even though it hasn't been a full year yet. Lots to do before we head out in a few days. Off to bed before work tonight. Y'all stay hydrated out there, it's getting warm out.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:23 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
and flush the power steering fluid (ATF) also full synthetic.
Be very sure to get all of the air out or you may get a symptom like I had in the video. Was an easy fix, but took 8 hours to figure out what the problem was. Has been fine since though.

Air was introduced into the system when I replaced the steering gear. I bled the lines and everything was good for about 5 months. When the temperatures of winter dropped to the 20's for a few days in a row, I believe this aggravated the air/moisture in the line that was still trapped in there. With the help of my wife and a last ditch effort before ordering parts, we bled the lines again since I had synthetic ATF on hand. After about the 4th brake pedal depress and steering wheel turn, the pulsing went away. I ran another 2 quarts of ATF through the system just to be sure. Truck steering and brakes have been rock solid since.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:09 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green

wow.

So I read the dimensions, I'm told on here repeatedly it will fit, but dang if it doesn't look huge. Item # display pictures do this thing no justice.

yup. Got in my next oil filter.

Here's the picture they should show on the websites

Almost a shame to bury it underneath the truck where no one will see it. Oh well. Have a busy maintenance day planned this weekend. Oil change to fleetguard full synthetic, diff fluid change to Mobil1 full synthetic, and flush the power steering fluid (ATF) also full synthetic. May flush the brake fluid just cause even though it hasn't been a full year yet. Lots to do before we head out in a few days. Off to bed before work tonight. Y'all stay hydrated out there, it's getting warm out.

I can't see your sig, but if you have 4X4 and anticipate getting offroad, I'd stick with the OE filter. I was running the Donaldson DBL7405 which is 11.73 inches long, apparently. At some point out in the sticks the suspension articulated enough to dent the bottom of it. Woulda sucked if the cast aluminum mount broke instead, dumping the oil.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:33 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is HUGE! in comparison to the stock FL-1995 but keeps the oil much cleaner than the stock filter and the Amsoil BPF combo ever did.

Proof of fitment. Also, the filter is mostly protected by the front differential/axle, oil pan, engine crossmember. I have been running them for a while and have not experienced any dings, dents, or holes after running on the road, in fields, woods, trails for many K miles. YMMV!

One note of importance. I have installed these on both F350's, the Ex, and several friends are running them. All of us have experienced a leak of a few drops upon initial install. Then, they never leak again.

They do stick down almost as far as the Fumoto valve which has never struck anything either: in spite of my initial fears.

In case anyone is wondering, it does not come in contact with the crossmember, sway bar (if the sway bar is installed correctly), or oil pan. Also, that second NAPA filter is for the regulated return. I do not like the mount which does leak a tiny amount nor its location.

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***