1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Old 05-25-2018, 03:16 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,439 Likes on 2,839 Posts
Brian, we have been very lucky with our choice of places to live where an enlisted pension goes a lot further.

No more deployments... One of the best things about being retired from military.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:35 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I met a couple of guys a while back that were army recruiters, both Master Sergeants. One was due to retire and said his pension would be
~ $8 - $9K per month. Is that realistic or BS? If not planning to live at Mara Largo that should be plenty.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:52 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
I met a couple of guys a while back that were army recruiters, both Master Sergeants. One was due to retire and said his pension would be
~ $8 - $9K per month. Is that realistic or BS?
That is not realistic. I retired 18 months ago as an E-9 and with 24+ years of service and I get around 1/2 that amount before taxes. A Master Seargent is two paygrades junior to that (E-7) just to put income into perspective (no offense Sous).

If they have a good claim with Veterans Affairs they can end up with some of their pension non-taxable or an additional check depending on their disability rating. Even if they max that out they won't get to $8K/month.

Either they have something in the works (or are hoping for the maximum possible) or they have not sat down and crunched the numbers yet.

Obviously I don't know their particular situation but from the outside looking in it seems more of a pipe dream without knowing all the facts. Just my opinion.

I had many friends that had delusions of grandeur when they retired and it was a rude awakening when they hit the retirement "window" and got a taste of what's really available on the outside when they started testing the market. The opportunities are there, just not always where you want them to be.

The military really does provide some good benefits (especially nowadays) and you don't realize how good you have it until it's gone.

Just my .02

Old 05-25-2018, 05:09 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Brian,
I assume that you get all of the VA medical coverage but don't know what it costs, if any. It is a huge money saver compared to the "outside". Especially if the powers in DC want to count it as income. My Social Security is taxed as regular income at ~25%. Already earned and paid taxes on it once already.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:14 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I love being re-taxed. My military income was from taxes collected by the government. Once they paid me I got taxed so they got some of it back. And I thought there was a law against double jeopardy. I guess it doesn't apply to taxes.

I do have VA coverage but it is not a quick process. As a retiree (and current federal employee) I do have access so some afforable care (health, vision, dental) for my family so I'm on those policies too. If I have something that's long-term and will require supplies/prescriptions over time I go through the VA but if it's something short-term (flu, new issue) I go to my civilian doctor down the road which is much quicker and convenient.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:53 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
~ $8 - $9K per month. Is that realistic or BS? If not planning to live at Mara Largo that should be plenty.
Not realistic at all, not one bit...

Even if they were receiving 100% disability from the VA it still wouldn't come up to $8K-$9K a month.

Heck, I wasn't making even close to that when I was active duty at 22 years of service, let alone retired.

Originally Posted by brian42
That is not realistic. I retired 18 months ago as an E-9 and with 24+ years of service I get around 1/2 that amount before taxes. A Master Seargent is two paygrades junior to that (E-7) just to put income into perspective (no offense Sous).

If they have a good claim with Veterans Affairs they can end up with some of their pension non-taxable or an additional check depending on their disability rating. Even if they max that out they won't get to $8K/month.

Either they have something in the works (or are hoping for the maximum possible) or they have not sat down and crunched the numbers yet.

Obviously I don't know their particular situation but from the outside looking in it seems more of a pipe dream without knowing all the facts. Just my opinion.

I had many friends that had delusions of grandeur when they retired and it was a rude awakening when they hit the retirement "window" and got a taste of what's really available on the outside when they started testing the market. The opportunities are there, just not always where you want them to be.

The military really does provide some good benefits (especially nowadays) and you don't realize how good you have it until it's gone.

Just my .02
No offense taken Brian, you are stating facts.

As Brian said, some people think that allowances and benefits are calculated into the retirement pension, but that is not the case.

As for the VA benefits, well you have seen the headlines in the news and the tales of how long things take. They are mostly true...

Old 05-25-2018, 07:04 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,132 Likes on 644 Posts
Congrats Sous

Originally Posted by BBslider001
Hmmmm, so the pedal felt easier? How is the engagement? I can say that a clutch job on these trucks is really pretty simple. I had mine done in 8 hours with a jack and some help. That was with taking our time and beer in between. Don't leave if you are unsure. A bad clutch when towing is a NIGHTMARE....ask me how I know....
It's odd, like the first half of pedal travel is spongy, like the brakes need bled kinda feeling, then the last 1/3 is actual engagement. No grinding gears or grabby clutch. Good to hear it's easy for you. I've had to stab 4 clutches, unfortunately the 4x4 ones took about 4 times as long, I'm guessing the zf6 and transfer case isn't one I'd benchpress up in position

I'll try flushing the power steering/hydroboost Monday

Old 05-25-2018, 08:01 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Holy crap Sous, you retired already? Why did I think it was in another month? Anyhoo, big congrats!! Looking forward to following your adventures.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:33 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Thank you all for the well wishes. It is a bit of a leap of faith for us, but we have the opportunity and are going to give it a shot. I think it probably won't really set in until Tuesday morning after the holiday when I am not getting up to go to work.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:33 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I found retirement hard to get accustomed to...must have taken a couple of hours that first day for it to really sink in and adjust to it. Welcome to the club and hope you get many good years out of it.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:07 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Thank you all for the well wishes. It is a bit of a leap of faith for us, but we have the opportunity and are going to give it a shot. I think it probably won't really set in until Tuesday morning after the holiday when I am not getting up to go to work.
Any plans as to when you guys will hit the road? I'd be chomping at the bit to get going, but I get over excited about road trips.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:08 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Not yet Byron. We were going to try and get out west the second week of June for a family reunion, but the trailer is not ready.

Since we only bought our new to us 5th wheel a couple weeks ago, have not really had the chance to make it our own.

We plan to get on the road a bit later in the summer though for sure, even if it is just around here in the mountains.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:24 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
"Not realistic at all, not one bit..."

That is what I thought, after all they were recruiters.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
"Not realistic at all, not one bit..."

That is what I thought, after all they were recruiters.
Being a recruiter is a hard job, but they should never, never lie about the job or what it involves.

Every once in a while I will run into someone spouting BS. Sometimes I let it go, other times I provide a bit of feedback and call them on it.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:02 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Morning y'all. Hope everyone had a great safe weekend. I went camping/ turkey hunting, both were a bust unfortunately. I realized that I hate campground camping between the noisy kids and chain smokers why even go? The hunting well was hunting, I guess that's why they call it hunting and not killing. Anyone want a bowl of tag soup? .

Edit: Sous congrats on retirement, I hope everything works out for you! A career in the military is not an easy one, you've earned some R&R. :thumb:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***