Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 09:49 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
As for adding brakes, I was thinking about ordering backing plates from Dexter with the brake hardware already attached, just like the ones I got for my RV trailer axles. Then I just wire it and they work with my brake controller. LED lights are cheap to add, too. For a grand I think I got a good deal on it.

I just bought a project house for $26k that should fetch $135k to $140 when I'm done with it, so it will get a lot of use. And I've ALWAYS wanted a trailer than I could haul a car on.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:06 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
As for adding brakes, I was thinking about ordering backing plates from Dexter with the brake hardware already attached, just like the ones I got for my RV trailer axles. Then I just wire it and they work with my brake controller. LED lights are cheap to add, too. For a grand I think I got a good deal on it.

I just bought a project house for $26k that should fetch $135k to $140 when I'm done with it, so it will get a lot of use. And I've ALWAYS wanted a trailer than I could haul a car on.
I'd say you scored bud! Nice find...I'll give you $1200.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Check out Etrailer for brakes too. I've had very good luck with them, at the very least I always price check them against other sites. They typically get my business.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:02 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I don't mean to be a downer, but just because it's "big enough" to be used as a car hauler doesn't mean it was built to carry that kind of a load. I would have a trustworthy trailer shop review its structure to see how they would rate it's load carrying capacity before ever putting a vehicle on it.

I say that because the beams just don't look beefy enough to my eye for that kind of load rating. It looks (again, to me) like it was built more for a lighter duty landscaping application.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:29 AM
andym
Post Fiend
That's probably very good advice. I'm not sure it was designed for that kind of work either to be honest. My big project right now is a house, so all car stuff is going to have to wait a while anyway. For the foreseeable future, it's going to be carrying home renovation stuff, starting with a big load of old drywall, plaster, and wood trim this week.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
That's probably very good advice. I'm not sure it was designed for that kind of work either to be honest. My big project right now is a house, so all car stuff is going to have to wait a while anyway. For the foreseeable future, it's going to be carrying home renovation stuff, starting with a big load of old drywall, plaster, and wood trim this week.
Sounds like me, always working on the house. Congrats on the purchase, and I'd lend a hand if I was closer (it's actually therapeutic to a degree). Just don't forget to make time for yourself, I did and still do and work myself into a fit over it. Don't forget to tinker with the car for fun.

-nick

Old 12-11-2017, 05:02 PM
andym
Post Fiend
True, there's nothing better than taking a 5lb sledge hammer to some ugly old plaster walls.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:13 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Love to find some properties in this state, Calif, for that. Would buy I all I could and turn them over. Or save and rent out. If it had property I'd move in. Anyway, good find and good luck with your remodel.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:27 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Love to find some properties in this state, Calif, for that."
__________________________________________________ ______________________
That's for sure. When my mom sold the family house, in ~1980ish for $550K the guy bought it for a tear-down. Rented out for about 2 yrs during the permit process. Sold the new house for about 1.5 Mil, I doubt you could touch it today for 2 - 3 times that much.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:47 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Love to find some properties in this state, Calif, for that. Would buy I all I could and turn them over. Or save and rent out. If it had property I'd move in. Anyway, good find and good luck with your remodel.
I used to live in Norcal. One of the many reasons I relocated to the east coast was to pursue real estate as a possible source of income. I paid $26k for this house, I expect to spend about $70k on the renovation and sell it for $140k when I'm done.

Try getting your foot in the door in the CA real estate market for $26k. No sir, not even in the worst neighborhoods.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:29 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I used to live in Norcal. One of the many reasons I relocated to the east coast was to pursue real estate as a possible source of income. I paid $26k for this house, I expect to spend about $70k on the renovation and sell it for $140k when I'm done.

Try getting your foot in the door in the CA real estate market for $26k. No sir, not even in the worst neighborhoods.
LOL...that wouldn't even by an RV space in San Diego County

Old 12-12-2017, 01:36 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
LOL...that wouldn't even by an RV space in San Diego County
It used to get a spot at De Anza Mobile Home Park...

Old 12-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Idaho_F250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the reason we relocated from Sacramento CA to South East Idaho. Sold our house there, and bought a bigger house on a full acre for half the price! Not to mention lower taxes, no CA vehicle smog requirements, and a host of other not so fun things we got to leave behind.
We do have very cold and long winters though. Also less shopping place for the Mrs, so that benefits me as well!

Old 12-12-2017, 03:19 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I was just reading on another Forum about how many people have left and are leaving California. It kind of broke my heart to leave cuz it's my home, but it has just gotten so ridiculous on so many fronts that I finally had to say uncle. Now I live in the middle of nowhere with very few people and people pushing their ideas down my throat and I'm a lot more relaxed and happier for it.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:43 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Sold my emissions home in 16'. Did alright on it, since I bought when the market crashed. Now, renting in Placentia fur 3x what my mortgage was. Took the equity and bought a home in bullhead👍. Just buying time here til daughter graduates(4 more years), then off I go. Will keep a CA residency(ca license purposes), drive a couple years then retire. It's all about fishing the Sierra's anymore😉

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***