Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 07:57 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Well, maybe I am copy catting, but I think our forum is the only one without a BS thread. I wanna come in here and kick around stuff that has nothing to do with anything, but we don't have a thread for that...like the OBS and 6.0 and 6.7 guys....so I figured I would start one. Hope you guys are down with it.

I haven't done much to IKE lately, but GPs and the needed maintenance will be starting before Fall gets too cold up here in South Dakota. I also need to address the front hub situation soon, but I haven't decided on whether to update to 2000 or just leave it E99. Anyways, hope you guys are well.

Last edited by Stewart_H; 04-20-2018 at 11:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BBslider001:

Top Answer

03-17-2022, 10:29 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,851 Posts
On November 12th of last year I created a post in this thread asking for prayers, well wishes, advice and for people to be aware that tomorrow is not guaranteed. My 44 year old brother was initially diagnosed with cancer on the side of his tongue, but it only got worse from there. As I eluded to in the other post, the surgery took much longer than the surgeon expected and they removed much more tissue than they had anticipated.

Below is a picture of the scar he has from the surgery. I told him that he needs to play it off as a "shark attack" and be in good spirits about it going forward. At the time he didn't like the joke, but laughs at it now.

Shortly after the surgery, he went in for a scan to make sure they had removed all of the cancerous tissue. Turns out, his left side was just as overrun with cancer as the right side, but was missed during the scans as they focused on the right side. The oncologist deemed he was too weak to go through another surgery so soon, but he needed to address the cancer NOW. They started him on radiation and chemotherapy targeting the right side of his throat.

Thank you, to everyone that called me on the phone! Thank you, to everyone that texted me on my phone or sent me a PM here! Thank you, to everyone that prayed or hoped for a speedy recovery!

His road to recovery was not easy due to the radiation and chemotherapy all while being the sole bread winner for his home and having a wife, 1 year old and 3 year old in the house. Due to the treatments he was receiving, his immune system was not working well and he was admitted to the hospital twice. The second time he was within hours of dying (according to the doctor) as he had a bad case of sepsis. That admission, he spent almost 2 weeks in the hospital. He was lucky enough to finish his radiation and chemotherapy while being under supervision of the hospital staff. We are so very grateful for this support from the medical community.

This was a blessing as he may not have lived much longer if they had not taken care of him as they did.

Thank you, to everyone that provided me with some advice and lessons learned from their own experiences with a cancer of this nature. Thank you, to everyone who shared financial aid and support group ideas with me. I was able to pass all of the information along to him and they were able to provide food and pay their bills because of some of this advice. The FMLA only covers so much time off due to an illness and he was out of work for almost 4 months.

His ability to taste has mostly returned according to him and he is speaking again. He doesn't sound exactly the same and has a difficult time pronouncing some words, but that will return in time. I joked with him and told him that it was kind of nice when he couldn't speak... He laughed at it, so it was a good joke I guess...

According to a CT scan this past Monday, he is CANCER FREE! He is still waiting for results from the PET scan before celebrating too much, but the preliminary results are very good! He returned back to work as a long haul truck driver about 10 days ago and is doing well. His spirits are up, his health is on the incline and he is doing well!

He wanted me to pass along his thanks and his families gratitude toward the FTE and those that aided him in his journey to recovery when they didn't have to. Either directly or indirectly, he is grateful. The kindness and willingness to help of this community contributed to the healing process and well being of his family during their time of need.

Thank you all from my family and from his family!

Old 08-16-2017, 08:06 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Not a bad idea, and there's nothing wrong with copying good ideas as long as the source(s) get their due credit, and you've covered that base as well. It didn't take you long, though, to digress from "stuff that has nothing to do with anything" range of topics back into your truck stuff rather quickly, and I think that's because most of us in here are simply wired more in that direction as compared to the other forum's BS threads. Then again, I may be wrong about that.

It will be interesting to see if (and how) this develops and grows.

Here's a thought that we can dig into...

While driving six hours yesterday on back county roads to attend a prebid meeting for a prospective job for our company, I began remembering when I used to do a lot more day-tripping to client locations, and recalled the "Superduty Wave" -- the friendly acknowledgement and greeting towards other SD drivers... it was something I've neither seen much of nor thought much about in the last couple of years. Yesterday, though, I began watching for those "waves" from other SD drivers in the oncoming traffic lanes, and saw very few waves initiated from other SD drivers and very few responses to my initiated waves. I was slightly surprised. It has always seemed that most of the country folks driving the back county roads have generally always been more "friendly" in the years gone by.

Are you guys seeing the same thing?

Are we all just too busy and/or too distracted with our growing accumulation of electronic gadgetry to even notice the oncoming SD drivers?

Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
Here's a thought that we can dig into...

While driving six hours yesterday on back county roads to attend a prebid meeting for a prospective job for our company, I began remembering when I used to do a lot more day-tripping to client locations, and recalled the "Superduty Wave" -- the friendly acknowledgement and greeting towards other SD drivers... it was something I've neither seen much of nor thought much about in the last couple of years. Yesterday, though, I began watching for those "waves" from other SD drivers in the oncoming traffic lanes, and saw very few waves initiated from other SD drivers and very few responses to my initiated waves. I was slightly surprised. It has always seemed that most of the country folks driving the back county roads have generally always been more "friendly" in the years gone by.

Are we all just too busy and/or too distracted with our growing accumulation of electronic gadgetry to even notice the oncoming SD drivers?
Never knew of the "Superduty wave" my wife's brother insists that the "camper wave" is a thing... He now has a Superduty ill have to ask if he gets waved at more now, and with or without the camper lol. Here I was thinking he was full of it.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:33 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I live on a 6000 acre cattle ranch and horse operation 5 miles from the nearest town. I say this to paint a picture of just how "country" I live. I wave at anyone and everyone in our dirt road and main road and rarely get a wave back. It's pretty sad. I'm actually surprised when I do.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:34 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Oh yeah, and the BS can be about your truck or anything else. Just thought it better that taking up room with new threads about the same ol' stuff, though I love the same ol' stuff...LOL

Old 08-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Never knew of or saw the SD wave here either. But my eyes don't work like other peoples' do, I can't see beyond the windshield of an oncoming car. Friends tell me I'm a snob when they see me later. I just tell them I can't see who is behind that glass.

On topic of being off topic. I got the plow transferred to my DD from my parts truck and signed up to a plowing BB. I'm lurking there and asking a question or two and I'm starting to wonder if I should maybe take on a little plow work. I dunno though, insurance seems to be the first thing they talk about.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:41 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I've seen the wave, and I live in a "city" area. Pickups are a lot more common here now than they were, but mostly of the F150 variety. I think because we have a unique body style, the Ford SDs are more noticeable than the competition. Hence the wave.

As far as waving to anything in sight out west on long, empty and far from anything highways, I think that's more of an acknowledgement that if you were to break down, the next motorist along will stop to see if you're able to fix yourself instead of your dying on the side of the road. I fixed a lower rad hose on someone's minivan full of kids on I-15 in the summer of '90.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:02 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Never heard of o seen the SD wave, but ill be damn, to pass up a conversation via gas pump or waiting atta light, to the next 7.3 driver. And all of them have that "step" in their response to how many miles, what they've done, haul..etc. Still show their proudness owning a tied/trued champion vs stepping up to the next "so called best" thing..

Old 08-16-2017, 01:25 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Yeah... my recollection of the "wave" is from the first several years I was active in the forum (roughly 2006-2010), and that predates a lot of you. I practiced it faithfully in my back country day trips through small county road tracks, and it was a real thing... I was often not the first to initiate the wave, and it seemed like it was most specifically oriented towards SD drivers. Only occasionally would a Dodge or Chevy driver initiate a wave, but they normally responded back if I waved first.

It was just a strange sort of nostalgic moment when I remembered that yesterday, but I clearly recall the sense of pride that surged through those mutual acknowledgements while driving through the back roads.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:30 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
Everybody waves at everybody around here in small, rural town, TX. Well, just about everybody. Occasionally, you get a yuppie here and there from the metroplex area who act like it'll kill them to return the wave

Old 08-16-2017, 01:51 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Went down to Phoenix Az. mid June and returned mid July. Good God how does anybody live there, HOT HOT HOT, then more HOT. I was sweating bullets by 6:00 AM just walking around. Lived there for almost 30 years, but how soon you forget. Learned real quick to start drinking lots of water in the morning instead of coffee.

Byron, last I heard you were in Montana, did they kick you out of the state, lol, now you're in South Dakota?

Never heard of the SD wave but I'm kinda like Mark, I focus on the road and driving and people tell me "hey I saw you and waved but". Anytime I see a Power Stroke parked and the owner is there we usually strike up a conversation and compare years and mods. Most PSD owners are proud to have one and eager to share information.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:20 PM
F250_
Hotshot
You guys bring up a good point regarding focused driving, and the last thing I want to do is to encourage distracted driving for any reason. I, too, am extremely focused on my driving and having my head on a swivel at all times to maximize 360° situational awareness.

That said, I neither look for nor try to observe the other drivers' face(s), but since the steering wheel is typically in the sun, it's generally pretty easy to notice whether or not they lift a hand to wave.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:27 PM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Two groups that almost always wave at each other is the Jeepers and the Harley riders. I've owned a Jeep Wrangler and that was the first thing I noticed. Harley guys use to only wave at other Harley's but here lately they seem to include other riders no matter the make.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:39 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
When I had my Yamaha nearly 30 years ago all bikes waved to each other, almost got to be annoying. Whenever I met up with a Harley at a light or such, I was almost always saying "nice bike" followed by "like 'em, can't afford 'em!"

Old 08-16-2017, 03:30 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_

Still haven't noticed it almost 9 years later...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-sd-pride.html

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***