Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Old 03-15-2018, 12:01 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ZachinCO View Post
Channel Islands?
I spent my summers as a youth down at De Anza Mobile home park with my grandfather. I miss the ocean occasionally, but not enough to want to spend a lot of time back there.
Point Loma in San Diego near the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:06 PM
ZachinCO
Elder User
ZachinCO is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
My wife went to Point Loma Nazarene. Spent a fair bit of time down there...

Old 03-15-2018, 01:05 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
It's sometimes just too easy say that folks need to "love where they live" or even "love the work they do". In reality, that is an ideal to which few people can realize. First, where you live or what you do, in my humble opinion, is not what matters most in life and should therefore not be the driving factors for happiness. Whatever it is you love, you can learn to live with lots of crap if you're just able to do what you love. Even that, though is sort of idealistic in its own right. You sometimes have to choose to love something different from what you want to do just because of the reality of "lack of opportunity". MAKING your opportunity is not always a feasible reality, either, especially when you have a wife and kids to be responsible for throughout the whole "finding yourself" effort, and they WILL pay the price if their needs are neglected (and so will YOU).

For me, I make a darn good living at what I do (one of my sons actually says I make an "ungodly amount of money" at my job). That money (regardless of how you classify it) makes it possible for my family to live more pleasant for me than for most folks in the same location (and that's NOT the goal because I really don't care what others choose to do with their money or how they choose to live). My income simply helps overcome some of the unpleasantries about where I live (be it weather, lack of natural beauty about the location, distance from family, etc.). I really enjoy doing lots of other stuff, but either cannot support my lifestyle with it or cannot afford the low income years required to build up to where I live today. The career I'm in has real limitations on where I can live. Sooo, my wife and I choose to "make it work". The absolute most important thing to me is to be able to be with my wife, provide her with a comfortable and attractive home, and that same home have enough room for me to pursue my own hobbies when I'm not at work. I would much rather live near the mountains in NC, TN, VA, NC, or KY, but my career opportunities virtually eliminate most of those locations because of where the industry has physically located its manufacturing sites and where the industry support companies have chosen to locate their businesses.

All that said, I'm neither jealous nor begrudge anyone else the chance to love your work or love where you live. If you can do that, I'm really very happy for you. However, just because you can enjoy those idealisms doesn't mean that everyone else can.

For me, I'm tremendously happy that I've just been able to make "lemonade", and that my wife and kids have enjoyed the lemonade I've made..

Old 03-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Sous
Moderator and SXE Junkie!
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Pete, you are right and you are doing what makes you and your family happy. I was not trying to say that if you dream of being a pilot, everything you do should be with the end goal of you being a pilot. Alan Watts has some great words about achieving and where you really want to be in life that I have to remind myself with from time to time.

We all have to make compromises and sacrifices in life, but you have to be happy and/or have a happy family that you are helping support.

Even if someone is working 12 hours a day for 7 days a week, they must be working toward a goal of happiness or helping sustain a life where their loved ones are happy. Material things are just that. Yes we need some of those things, but what damn difference will it make if you die in 5 years whether you were able to afford that iPad or not...

Lemonade is great, I prefer it when we go someplace on a date for dinner or lunch.

Everyone's idea of happiness is different, but there must be that time each day, even if it is just a moment because otherwise what is the point.

Even when I was deployed to Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia twice I had to stop from time to time to remember what I was doing there. If I hadn't, I would have drilled myself into the sand and may not be here today enjoying what we have and can achieve in life.

Happy almost weekend everyone...

Old 03-15-2018, 01:55 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
Right near my old stomping grounds.

Originally Posted by Sous View Post
This is key. Most are not happy with their job/career. Even if they like what they work on or their field of work, there are times when they just are not happy with it or wish they could just walk. Getting "home" to someplace you love and are at peace with is essential for a good life. One cannot live in a constant state of unhappiness or waiting to be happy.
Yup, pretty much!!!

Old 03-16-2018, 06:41 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
We sold our home last spring, bought a boat, and moved into a new place.

My back deck (and boat):

View from my driveway:

Old 03-16-2018, 08:19 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Rich, that second photo is some kind of view! Looks like a nice place to work on a truck....or juts sip a cold one. Of course, I don't know anyone who "sips" beer, but you get my point. LOL

Got 12 inches here last night. No school for the 6 year-old and a quiet morning for me I guess.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:31 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
Name:  MVIMG_20180316_071243.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  3.82 MB

My morning commute

Old 03-16-2018, 08:39 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud of
Byron, quit rubbing it in...it's scary dry here in Colorado! I'll take any form of moisture at this point.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Attachment 260295

My morning commute
I know it takes work to clear it but to me that is beautiful. And so is Tugly's back yard.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:55 AM
ZachinCO
Elder User
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post
Byron, quit rubbing it in...it's scary dry here in Colorado! I'll take any form of moisture at this point.
I got maybe an inch of snow last night here in Elizabeth. Nothing down your way?

Old 03-16-2018, 09:12 AM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
What's this snow you speak of? Going to hit 83 here today

Old 03-16-2018, 09:28 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud of
I got maybe an inch of snow last night here in Elizabeth. Nothing down your way?
Nada, tinderbox down here!

Old 03-16-2018, 09:47 AM
ZachinCO
Elder User

Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post

Nada, tinderbox down here!
There's been 2 fires up by me this month. The one in Kiowa has me thinking I really need to get better prepped, especially with all the critters.
My parents are down your way near Bradshaw and 24.

Last edited by ZachinCO; 03-16-2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 03-16-2018, 10:43 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster

There's been 2 fires up by me this month. The one in Kiowa has me thinking I really need to get better prepped, especially with all the critters.
My parents are down your way near Bradshaw and 24.
I got evacuated for the Waldo fire in 2012, 1 year later the Black Forest broke out, people complained they lost everything, didn't have time to get anything....they had a whole damn year to prepare. It's hard to feel sorry for people when they set themselves up be they don't think it could happen to them. I've been helping a buddy out east cut fire breaks into his land. Using an old disk and a harrow to cut the dried grass and create a break just in case a fire broke out. We've even used a grader blade to cut down to bare ground. Fortune favors the prepared! .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.