Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Old 03-12-2018, 08:35 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692 View Post
Found a booster with harness for little guy #3 that fits in the front middle nice. Truck only has a driver's steering wheel airbag and it is disabled . Back seat has child #4 in the middle with the older boys #1 and #2 by the real doors. Both front and rear middle seats are lap belt only but figured out a top tether for the front one.

That's one full and happy cab!

Old 03-12-2018, 08:55 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Bonanza35 View Post
I'd still go somewhere else if he didn't write you up. Mitt save you a lot of headaches. He can get you for the OCR if he wants.
He could have hit me for the OCR and the Hydra. He didn't check the PCM box and the OCR regulator is in the same spot that the MAP sensor was. I don't know if he didn't know the difference or he just cared that the hose was on the spider and connected to something on the other end. It's not the end of the world but going to cost me more time and money. The frustrating part is that I consulted the shop 3 years ago about the wastegate controller before I got it and it passed on my inspection 2 years ago. When it comes down to it I've got nobody to blame but myself for going outside the OEM setup regardless of if it's better or not (I'm going to miss my Turbomaster! ).

He didn't write me up but he already put me in the computer. He just didn't complete the test or record the results (failure).

I even went in after work so was still in slacks, collared shirt, and dress shoes (hopefully thinking he would assume that I'm not a car guy and there would not be much to see on the inspection). I think the fact that I now have 5 gages in the cab offset my office dress attire and tingled his Spidey sense.

He asked me to only come back to him since he told me it will go against his rating if I start with him but find another shop to finish. I'm not sure if that's true or not but, as you said, there's more than the wastegate controller he can fail me on. I already have a known list to work on and it's only a couple of things to clear up. I've been going to this place for 10 years (smog my gas vehicles there too) and my dad has been going there twice as long. They may not be as lenient as in the past (I think all shops are getting wiser making it harder to find ones willing to let things slide) but they are still fair and friendly. He did me a solid by not failing me and sending me on my way so I will reciprocate and give them my business. I've been to other shops that the moment your tires touch their shop floor it's game on and they won't talk to you until it's over then give you the good/bad news.

My only other under-hood upgrade left is a 38R (similar size and GARRETT stamped on the housing should pass smog easily). I was waiting on sticks first and the intake debate to settle. It used to be a battle to get past smog with anything but the garbage OEM box. Even though the CARB rules allowed a "suitable" substitute this was the only shop that had no issue with the 6637 "back in the day". The tech told me that they've ditched the requirement and you can hook up a filter directly to the turbo inlet now for all they care.

Once I get through this test I know I'll pass at this station so I won't be rolling the dice like at other ones. My OCR and Hydra will be the only really noticeable mods left that could give me an issue and this station has passed me with those twice now.

Since CA is going on 8 years with this test I hope they don't change the rules too much more.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:17 AM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
In my above post I meant to install the red & green lines, just have them plugged so they don't work. I can't imagine there's a means of checking operation of the wastegate solenoid and getting it to operate the wastegate itself. The Turbomaster, wastegate solenoid, red & green lines, etc., are all easily removed/installed, especially for a two year inspection cycle. Wouldn't it just be easier to return it to stock, as visibly as possible, just for inspection? Get a stock tune for the Hydra?
Tell you want though, I'm glad that here in PA my "obsolete" 7.3 is emission exempt!

Old 03-12-2018, 10:19 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SaintITC View Post
In my above post I meant to install the red & green lines, just have them plugged so they don't work. I can't imagine there's a means of checking operation of the wastegate solenoid and getting it to operate the wastegate itself. The Turbomaster, wastegate solenoid, red & green lines, etc., are all easily removed/installed, especially for a two year inspection cycle. Wouldn't it just be easier to return it to stock, as visibly as possible, just for inspection? Get a stock tune for the Hydra?
Tell you want though, I'm glad that here in PA my "obsolete" 7.3 is emission exempt!
I wish that was true for all states. No emissions equipment, no test. I'm more than happy to pay CA $50 every two years as a "diesel tax" instead of having to go through all this garbage. Heck, I'd even pay it every year with my registration fees as an "emissions exemption fee".

"Visibly" isn't flying this time. Not only did he call out the air/vacuum lines and the "vacuum canister" with a rod on top of the turbo but used the word "connected" when discussing the deficiency. I think the only reason my OCR passed is that the hose was hooked up to the spider and connected to the regulator (which looks like a sensor if you don't know what the MAP sensor looks like). Since I drilled out the sensing port on the spider and plugged it (2 freaking months ago! ) I've added time and cost to this facade. I'm going to replace the controller with the turbo installed and that will be the deciding factor. If it's not too difficult to swap controllers without removing the turbo I might keep the Turbomaster. I'm probably going to get the Turbosmart from Clay and see how that goes. If it does a good job then it might not be worth it to swap back.

As for the tunes, I used the Heavy Tow from Gearhead. I took the head off the Hydra and tucked the ribbon under the dash panel. He told me that the opacity was on the edge (it barely puffed at tip-in ) and asked me if I had a tune on it. I told him no and that the injectors were only 300 miles old. He told me to drive it a bit more and see if it cleans up. I'll have to check my PHP tunes to see if they are any cleaner, including my whipser/drive-through tunes. It only has to drive 30 feet into the shop, idle for the visual inspection, do the snap test (goose it 3 times to ~3K RPM), then drive 30 feet back out to the parking spot. I might have to call GH and PHP to see if they can write a tune for that.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:29 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Brian, what is considered passing opacity in California? Here in El Paso County, CO, 35% is considered passing.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:52 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post
Brian, what is considered passing opacity in California? Here in El Paso County, CO, 35% is considered passing.
I don't know if there's an actual percentage. It's a calibrated eyeball test. They go to class and get taught what it is acceptable and what it too much. It's the tech's call on what is passing and what is failing.

Except for the OBDII check for codes and SES light (computer hooked directly to DMV) it's up to the tech to pass or fail the rest of it.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
I am not 100%, but I think by setting your Hydra to 00 (double zero) it is bypassing the chip/Hydra altogether and going with what is on the PCM. In your case, the single shot re-flashed PCM.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:20 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
Correct. I have a PHP Modified Stock tune loaded onto my PCM (00 position) in the event I had to pull the Hydra for any reason (smog, troubleshooting, etc.). GH's Heavy Tow seemed to be giving the least smoke when I tried them out so went with that tune for the test. I pulled the Hydra head, put it in my center console, and tucked the ribbon under the dash, and went inside for the test. I'm going to have to go to a parking lot and test the tunes out again. Since it's only got to roll 30 feet max under it's own power I might test out the stealth/drive-through tunes to see if they're cleaner. Worst case scenario I pull out my wallet AGAIN and get a tune specifically for this from PHP or GH.

I downloaded the smog check manual for CA this morning. I glanced over it and there are a couple of places that say "no smoke" during the snap tests. Then in the diesel appendix it says that a failure is "a visible smoke plume observed 5 to 15 feet from the tailpipe(s) for more than 3 seconds on either of the final two BAR Snap Tests." My smoke was only a few feet but I think it lingered for a few seconds. Looks like anything above a haze is going to be questionable. I'm not going to be a douche when I go back but I'm going to make sure that I'm within that and then discuss the wastegate controller fix and that I read the test instructions and feel that I meet the smoke test. Hopefully he'll see that I took his words seriously and give me the benefit of the doubt.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:45 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
I don't know if there's an actual percentage. It's a calibrated eyeball test. They go to class and get taught what it is acceptable and what it too much. It's the tech's call on what is passing and what is failing.

Except for the OBDII check for codes and SES light (computer hooked directly to DMV) it's up to the tech to pass or fail the rest of it.
Eyeball test? That seems VERY SUBJECTIVE. They don't hook anything to the tailpipe? Here they hook a hose to tail pipe, HUGE fan in front of truck, chain axle to hold truck and it gets Dino'd as part of the opacity test. Just for reference, my truck with 373K, stock sticks (140's) had an opacity of 8%. Were you able to get a hold of Matt?

Old 03-12-2018, 03:01 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
No dyno and nothing on, in, or up the pipe. Only spec in the procedure is a 5-15 foot smoke plume that must clear up in 3 seconds. Basically it can haze at tip-in. IMHO for custom tunes with 160cc/80% single-shots it is a very clean burning truck.

Haven't called yet. Work has been a constant barrage this morning.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
That's a little different. I thought It was 30 seconds? That's what it use to be. If you get the banks set up, vacuum can, it is legal. My guy rev's it sometimes only once, takes his time then goes and looks for smoke. Never failed yet. And they can write you a smog tune that will have no smoke and drives fine. You need to get that.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:12 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
Were you able to get a hold of Matt?
Just talked with him. He has two 7.3L engines for sale but only as complete units. No extra spiders. Thanks for the reference though.

Originally Posted by Bonanza35 View Post
That's a little different. I thought It was 30 seconds? That's what it use to be. If you get the banks set up, vacuum can, it is legal. My guy rev's it sometimes only once, takes his time then goes and looks for smoke. Never failed yet. And they can write you a smog tune that will have no smoke and drives fine. You need to get that.
CA is a "simple" test. Turn it on, let it idle while they do the visual, snap test (3 revs at 2-3K RPM - first is a freebie then they check for smoke on the other two), hook up OBD II and check for codes and that SES light works, then done.

Thought I had one for smog but I was apparently wrong. I've had a difficult time communicating with two of the three main vendors for the parts/products I wanted. Had I not been 95% sure of the products I wanted I would have gone a different direction with those two. The products have been top-notch but their customer service is not something I would have normally tolerated if it hadn't been for their reputation.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Hey Brian,
Here's one on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/i/222876636446

Old 03-12-2018, 04:31 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Eyeball test? That seems VERY SUBJECTIVE.
It is.

...and it gets Dino'd as part of the opacity test.
Only some counties in California require a dyno be used for smog checks, and those are only for gassers.

Stewart

Old 03-14-2018, 11:58 AM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by SaintITC View Post
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Even more brilliant is they make recliners with thise built into the armrest in a compartment. Sheer genius I say.
Negative Ghost Rider. I lose enough crap as it is between the couch cushions to put my cell phone there.
Have to bring this back up. We - meaning my wife - just bought a power recliner with USB charging ports built into the armrest.
At least the phone has a cord tethered to it. Now if they were to put wireless charging stations under the armrest...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.