Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 10:25 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Originally Posted by BdgrDuckHntr
Our biggest concern here in WI is hitting a deer (hopefully not at 70mph!). While I like the look, and my 250 has its own chromed manik guard (from the PO and probably more for looks than anything... I see it as a step up to the engine bay) I have heard that these actually make damage worse. Is that the case or do stout guards such as yours actually protect a front end from impact?
If I may chime in. I just recently installed a Ranch Hand Legend grille guard. My concern was the same as yours in regards to damage. After A LOT of research, it was clear that if I selected a reputable product like Ranch Hand, Westin and many others that the chances of increasing damage during a collision are not true. Yes, damage will still happen, but a solid and well built grille guard or bumper will allow you to drive away instead of being towed away. Now, if you take some of the grille guards you see on Toyota or F-150's, then yes the bars are going to bend and destroy the corner of the truck.

You are right about the step up too. I used my Ranch Hand "step up" last week on the side of the interstate 4 times. Worked very well.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Tugly
I found a whole touchless toilet at Home Depot for $425 vs. a repair kit for the marine head is $331 with tax. Boating and dieseling are so similar in cost.

I bought a Honda portable generator for the boat last year. I like how it idles quietly to charge the batteries while on the hook, then automatically steps up the throttle when I run something heavy - like a shop vac. Generators have really improved over the years. A portable generator is a good thing to have when traveling cross-country in the winter. If things get weird, you can plug into the generator to warm the truck up - and give the batteries a boost at the same time.

Yamaha makes a great competitor to this little fella. I think the Yamaha had a fuel shut off where the Honda didn't when I was looking at them. That was a couple years ago though, so things have probably changed since then.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Nice John! How the heck did you talk him down to less than half? LOL!
Probably because the guy found it in a parking lot!
inside joke...disregard...LOL

Stewart

Old 03-08-2018, 12:21 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with a Ranch Hand as well, but without the "wings". I was more concerned about protecting all of the coolers/radiators behind the grill.
Very stout product.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I think the shut off is in the switch Sous. I was looking at that. I was thinking in that position, you could run it till the gas was out of the carb.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
I think the shut off is in the switch Sous. I was looking at that. I was thinking in that position, you could run it till the gas was out of the carb.
Right you are sir! I see that now.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:41 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts
I found a whole touchless toilet at Home Depot for $425 vs. a repair kit for the marine head is $331 with tax. Boating and dieseling are so similar in cost.

I bought a Honda portable generator for the boat last year. I like how it idles quietly to charge the batteries while on the hook, then automatically steps up the throttle when I run something heavy - like a shop vac. Generators have really improved over the years. A portable generator is a good thing to have when traveling cross-country in the winter. If things get weird, you can plug into the generator to warm the truck up - and give the batteries a boost at the same time.

On these Honda’s, the fuel switch and engine kill switch are integrated. I started a thread in my Travel Trailer forum on how to install a kill switch on these without also cutting off the fuel. No cutting cords or drilling holes required. https://www.granddesignowners.com/fo...ighlight=Honda

Old 03-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by BdgrDuckHntr
Our biggest concern here in WI is hitting a deer (hopefully not at 70mph!). While I like the look, and my 250 has its own chromed manik guard (from the PO and probably more for looks than anything... I see it as a step up to the engine bay) I have heard that these actually make damage worse. Is that the case or do stout guards such as yours actually protect a front end from impact?

Haggling.... oh wow. lost art for sure. Whenever I sell something online the first reply to me is almost always. "What's your bottom dollar?". And I just wanna go... SLAP! That's not negotiating!
LOL, I grew up on a Dairy farm in Wisconsin, maybe it was a Country thing but it seemed like everyone haggled. Nowadays it seems like if you offer a lower amount they get all butt hurt and don't know how to respond. Here in Colorado we have deer, elk, antelope and of course the dangerous millennials any one of which will kill you if you're not paying attention. Regarding an impact, there's too many variables but I would rather have the guard take the hit verses the radiator etc.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Some buddy have a good outlet for that EU2200i honda generator? Been using my Honda welder for to long now for a gen. It is pretty loud. Thanks,
Chet

Old 03-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I bought mine at the motorcycle shop, and they sell them at just about any farm & garden, home improvement, or sporting goods store. I've seen competitors that claim to be as quiet or quieter than a Honda, and they are less expensive. I've never had a stubborn Honda engine on any device I've owned (cars, motorcycles, boats, etc...), nor have they fallen apart from cheap assembly - so I stuck with the more expensive Honda.

Another thing to consider when shopping: I find it interesting that Honda is the brand everybody compares with when making bold claims.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:49 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I bought mine at the motorcycle shop, and they sell them at just about any farm & garden, home improvement, or sporting goods store. I've seen competitors that claim to be as quiet or quieter than a Honda, and they are less expensive. I've never had a stubborn Honda engine on any device I've owned (cars, motorcycles, boats, etc...), nor have they fallen apart from cheap assembly - so I stuck with the more expensive Honda.

Another thing to consider when shopping: I find it interesting that Honda is the brand everybody compares with when making bold claims.
if i had to take a stab at it, i'd bet your implying your statement from your weekly disney coupon you get...aka, H.F....lol. Been eyeballing the little green 2 smoke gennie they got for 80 bucks

Old 03-09-2018, 06:31 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
if i had to take a stab at it, i'd bet your implying your statement from your weekly disney coupon you get...aka, H.F....
Horrible Freight keeps losing track of me... thankfully. I never got more than about 5 or 6 mailers since they moved into town. HF is where I go for disposable tools, supplies, and stuff for big jobs that I don't intend to use for a living. I did manage to get a decent air compressor for a reasonable price, though.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:12 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Probably because the guy found it in a parking lot!
inside joke...disregard...LOL

Stewart
Haha! hey buddy, how about $500? ok ok, $10 and that's my final offer LOL

Old 03-09-2018, 09:39 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Funny story about haggling...

Let me start by saying that I can haggle with the best of them at times, but this one time I slipped up a bit and it cost me. Not a lot, but hurt pride more than my wallet.

So, we were looking for a topper for our truck. We found a few on C-list and went to look at one after work one day. I had gotten confused with which price the one I was looking at and thought it was listed for $150. So, when I got there I saw that the topper was in decent shape, but I always try to haggle a bit on a C-list purchase because I think that is anticipated or included in the price. Anyway, because I thought the listing was for $150, I asked if he would take $120 because it was dirty, yadda yadda...

The seller looked at me a moment, then said "ya, that sounds good".

We loaded the topper on the truck and I drove off thinking, good job Sous. Bought a topper for a discounted price.

I called my wife on the drive home to tell her the score I had won. When I said he took $120 for it, I could hear the silence on the other end of the line.

She said "why did you offer $120 on a $100 C-list ad?"

I said "ummm, what?"

She said "the price for the topper was $100"

I said "****!!! I must have gotten it confused"

We both laughed it off because it was only $20 and a lesson learned for a fairly cheap price.

It happens, oh well...

Story time over for me today.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:30 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Funny story about haggling...

Let me start by saying that I can haggle with the best of them at times, but this one time I slipped up a bit and it cost me. Not a lot, but hurt pride more than my wallet.

So, we were looking for a topper for our truck. We found a few on C-list and went to look at one after work one day. I had gotten confused with which price the one I was looking at and thought it was listed for $150. So, when I got there I saw that the topper was in decent shape, but I always try to haggle a bit on a C-list purchase because I think that is anticipated or included in the price. Anyway, because I thought the listing was for $150, I asked if he would take $120 because it was dirty, yadda yadda...

The seller looked at me a moment, then said "ya, that sounds good".

We loaded the topper on the truck and I drove off thinking, good job Sous. Bought a topper for a discounted price.

I called my wife on the drive home to tell her the score I had won. When I said he took $120 for it, I could hear the silence on the other end of the line.

She said "why did you offer $120 on a $100 C-list ad?"

I said "ummm, what?"

She said "the price for the topper was $100"

I said "****!!! I must have gotten it confused"

We both laughed it off because it was only $20 and a lesson learned for a fairly cheap price.

It happens, oh well...

Story time over for me today.
. I can imagine the conversation the seller had with his wife...

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***