Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

 
  #106  
Old 09-06-2017, 10:06 AM
empiretc's Avatar
empiretc
empiretc is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,138
empiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to behold
we are finally out of the 100s!!! mornings are actually in the 70s now instead of the 80s.

glow plugs???? we don't need no stinking glow plugs........lol


Have a good day all. Those of you in Florida, please be safe. Things here in TX really sucked and hope it doesn't get that bad over there.
 
  #107  
Old 09-06-2017, 10:18 AM
F250_'s Avatar
F250_
F250_ is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,280
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Key West is evacuating now. If the storm follows the predicted path, there are going to be a massive number of people affected throughout the state of Florida. If it tails off to the west, though, and enters the Gulf, Irma will be a wickidly HUGE problem wherever she eventually lands. My inlaws are all in Miami, but they have not yet decided whether or not to evacuate, and will probably wait too long to decide.
 
  #108  
Old 09-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Hussler's Avatar
Hussler
Hussler is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Medford Oregon
Posts: 4,187
Hussler is a splendid one to beholdHussler is a splendid one to beholdHussler is a splendid one to beholdHussler is a splendid one to beholdHussler is a splendid one to beholdHussler is a splendid one to beholdHussler is a splendid one to behold
Wish we had some rain or wind. Worse day ever for forest fires smoke. Can barely see the buildings across the street , like dense fog. Knew it was going to be bad today when opening the back door early this morning and it smelled like 100 campfires. These fires are a long way off but we live in kind-of a bowl so it just sits. Good news it might rain tomorrow, 80% chance .. hope .. hope.
 
  #109  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Sous's Avatar
Sous
Sous is online now
Moderator
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Hartwell, GA
Posts: 8,648
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
Key West is evacuating now. If the storm follows the predicted path, there are going to be a massive number of people affected throughout the state of Florida. If it tails off to the west, though, and enters the Gulf, Irma will be a wickidly HUGE problem wherever she eventually lands. My inlaws are all in Miami, but they have not yet decided whether or not to evacuate, and will probably wait too long to decide.
Been talking to some friends with family in Puerto Rico. This is a big one, that is a for sure. I agree with you, the call to evacuate needs to come quick and early. As I am sure you know, it is a hard choice, not only risky but very emotional.
 
  #110  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Sous's Avatar
Sous
Sous is online now
Moderator
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Hartwell, GA
Posts: 8,648
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
Wish we had some rain or wind. Worse day ever for forest fires smoke. Can barely see the buildings across the street , like dense fog. Knew it was going to be bad today when opening the back door early this morning and it smelled like 100 campfires. These fires are a long way off but we live in kind-of a bowl so it just sits. Good news it might rain tomorrow, 80% chance .. hope .. hope.
My wife is planning to travel up to WA from GA to see family. How badly does the heavy smoke effect vehicles in regards to air filters? Will she need to have someone check/replace the filter when she gets to where she is going before heading back home to GA?
 
  #111  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:23 PM
F250_'s Avatar
F250_
F250_ is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,280
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
We went through several evacuations when we lived in Texas (a couple of tropical storms and then for Rita which was only one month after Katrina). The evacuation effort in Florida is going to be horrible with the projected path sweeping up the entire length of the state, and there is really no safe option for escaping east or west until you hit the panhandle... EVERYONE has to head north, and those corridors are getting ready to be jam packed for the length of the state
 
  #112  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:23 PM
brian42's Avatar
brian42
brian42 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,095
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
My wife is planning to travel up to WA from GA to see family. How badly does the heavy smoke effect vehicles in regards to air filters? Will she need to have someone check/replace the filter when she gets to where she is going before heading back home to GA?
It depends on how much particulate (ash) is in the smoke and how much you drive in it (obviously the closer the fires are the more ash will be in the air).

We seem to get a major wave of fires every 4 years or so out here. 2003 and 2007 were by far the worst. Even after driving in those daily my filter never got too bad. I did a visual inspection every few days of heavy driving/commuting to make sure it wasn't getting too dark. Once the fires were contained and the air cleared up my OCD would kick in and I would change my air filter as a precautionary measure. Probably not needed but I thought the cost of a 6637 replacement far outweighed the potential of driving around with an air filter full of smoke.

Even if the smoke is limiting visibility (like Hussler mentioned above) her filter should be fine for the visit. Just check it when your wife gets back and make the call then. I've driven in thick smoke for over a week and my filter was still white-ish.
 
  #113  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:44 PM
hydro man 17
hydro man 17 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hat Creek Ca
Posts: 1,910
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
SOUS, I don't have any scientific data to quote, but I believe that most smoke particles (not ash) are too small to be filtered out by a conventional air filter. I would think that a filter that "fine" would clog too easily.
 
  #114  
Old 09-06-2017, 04:06 PM
brian42's Avatar
brian42
brian42 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,095
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hydro man 17 View Post
SOUS, I don't have any scientific data to quote, but I believe that most smoke particles (not ash) are too small to be filtered out by a conventional air filter. I would think that a filter that "fine" would clog too easily.
I agree that the smoke is fine enough to get through the filter. Sometimes the big block has to take one for the team. My filter did get grey but the filter minder never made it past the 1/2 way mark.
 
  #115  
Old 09-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Glowplugger
Glowplugger is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central OK
Posts: 768
Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
I agree with you, the call to evacuate needs to come quick and early.
I agree to a point here, but man if i was a Floridian I would have left last Sunday. If you wait till the call to evacuate you're just begging for trouble. That call is for the most retarded of people to finally get on the road and leave. It usually comes just as the water starts pouring.
 
  #116  
Old 09-06-2017, 04:36 PM
Walleye Hunter
Walleye Hunter is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 6,104
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
If I lived down there I would have some kind of super duty window shutters permanently mounted on my house. Maybe roll up steel at that and I'd have closed them and been long gone already.
 
  #117  
Old 09-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Sous's Avatar
Sous
Sous is online now
Moderator
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Hartwell, GA
Posts: 8,648
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
It depends on how much particulate (ash) is in the smoke and how much you drive in it (obviously the closer the fires are the more ash will be in the air).

We seem to get a major wave of fires every 4 years or so out here. 2003 and 2007 were by far the worst. Even after driving in those daily my filter never got too bad. I did a visual inspection every few days of heavy driving/commuting to make sure it wasn't getting too dark. Once the fires were contained and the air cleared up my OCD would kick in and I would change my air filter as a precautionary measure. Probably not needed but I thought the cost of a 6637 replacement far outweighed the potential of driving around with an air filter full of smoke.

Even if the smoke is limiting visibility (like Hussler mentioned above) her filter should be fine for the visit. Just check it when your wife gets back and make the call then. I've driven in thick smoke for over a week and my filter was still white-ish.

Brian, thanks for the first hand experience advice. This makes me feel just a little better about sending her off to drive across the country. Sure will be boring around the house, but I am planning to get a lot of halfway done projects finished around the house.
 
  #118  
Old 09-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Sous's Avatar
Sous
Sous is online now
Moderator
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Hartwell, GA
Posts: 8,648
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Glowplugger View Post
I agree to a point here, but man if i was a Floridian I would have left last Sunday. If you wait till the call to evacuate you're just begging for trouble. That call is for the most retarded of people to finally get on the road and leave. It usually comes just as the water starts pouring.
Here in north GA sometime people run to the stores to buy their "milk sandwiches" (read as milk and bread) because they like to freak out when they are not prepared. For example, when snow is predicted here in the Hartwell area, forget it... Everything closes.

I just went out and fired up my generator to let the fuel run through it a bit more and then run itself dry. Haven't done it in about 8 months or so, it is a good time to check the serviceability.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
If I lived down there I would have some kind of super duty window shutters permanently mounted on my house. Maybe roll up steel at that and I'd have closed them and been long gone already.
Like in the Purge movies...
 
  #119  
Old 09-06-2017, 11:26 PM
BBslider001's Avatar
BBslider001
BBslider001 is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 7,779
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Been talking to some friends with family in Puerto Rico. This is a big one, that is a for sure. I agree with you, the call to evacuate needs to come quick and early. As I am sure you know, it is a hard choice, not only risky but very emotional.
The weather guys just said this storm is bigger and badder than Andrew. Seriously guys, get out if you can!! Like now.
 
  #120  
Old 09-07-2017, 05:40 AM
Wesley Green's Avatar
Wesley Green
Wesley Green is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Muskogee, Ok
Posts: 1,246
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
52 this morning, what happened to fall? glow plugs are ready to go
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.