Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Hey John, dang that's a PITA, but at least it'll be done. I have done one on all 4 7.3s I have owned. And yeah, that's pet peeve of mine as well. If you're bored and need some reading this weekend, look up my thread from last year on my last OBS debacle. The truck sat for 2 weeks.

Man, we are loving it here! Yeah this last week was COLD with a foot of snow, but the beauty and the quiet and the 5000 acres and the horses and the cattle....you get my drift. Breaking ice on stack tanks 3 times a day is not a lotta fun, but the alternative is worse. I AM looking forward to summer. MY biggest frustration right now is wanting to get stuff done and it's just too brutal. I was outside for 15 minutes yesterday thinking it would be warm enough to get my shop in order, but my hands just wouldn't function after a short time. My boss did get me a bullet heater though since I am doing the GPs and injector torque on his 2000 that he just bought. He's a 7.3 guy, so that is just one more reason we get along well.

And negative on the synthetic. I'll do that when I support gun banning....which will be never. I am getting ready to do a change this weekend and I just bought 5 gallons of ST 15w-40....spent $45 on oil.
This truck is loving this CJ-4 stuff.

Stay warm! Hope that WP job doesn't give you too many fits.
Hey Byron,

Glad you're loving it, it's gorgeous country! The Western part of Nebraska, Scottsbluff is unbelievable terrain, you can just imagine the Indians sitting on the Bluffs watching the Buffalo move across the planes, Absolutely humbling area! I'll get the truck done, I'm really not one to quit because of unfavorable conditions. I'll just curse a bit more which surprisingly seems to help too.

A trick I learned in the military and used during cold weather training is take a well fitting T-shirt, have a seamstress or wife etc sew TWO pockets on the back where your kidneys & Liver are, then stick a hand warmer in them. The abdominal aorta carries a massive amount of blood through this area and it returns through the inferior vena cava, if you keep the blood supply warm your extremities stay warm! This works extremely well especially when you're not moving much etc. The picture shows the location of the the organs and where to sew the pockets. Probably more than you wanted to know but it works! LOL. Putting a small toe warmer inside the top of your hat works well too.
s

Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2018, 10:04 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Is the image below a good representation of the oil your truck prefers?

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I had seen a few fellas on here recommending T4 (I think) or 15w40 if a cold climate was not an issue for them and if their o-rings and starting systems were in good order.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:08 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
That's the stuff! Anytime. Hopefully they don't go changing the formula anytime soon.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:36 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Is the image below a good representation of the oil your truck prefers?

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I had seen a few fellas on here recommending T4 (I think) or 15w40 if a cold climate was not an issue for them and if their o-rings and starting systems were in good order.
That's the stuff! Anytime. Hopefully they don't go changing the formula anytime soon.

That is the wally-world stuff. looked online and found a lot of good and bad reviews about it, but had a fairly large credit at wally-world, so that is what old green got for the last oil change.

had only ever used Rotella, but it sure seems like old green really likes this stuff. the engine just seems a little quieter and smoother. the oil has ~4k on it, and it still looks brand new on the dip stick.

probably going to keep using this stuff now.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:52 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I had always thought that SuperTech stuff was for my 2002 Mercury Sable with 249,000 miles that I have never washed and don't give a damn about.

Maybe I am wrong.
For me, as long as the oil is licensed and meets Fords specs, personal preference is the only thing that matters when it comes to which company logo is stamped on the bottle.

Stewart

Old 02-23-2018, 12:07 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Funny you guys say this. My son's 2004, 6.0L, I'm driving it till my trans gets taken care of, runs sheaffer oil 15-40. When he just paid 500.oo for the oil, have to buy so much, the truck started running like crap when cold. He called the guy and he said to get an oil sample and see if that's it. There new oil is CK4 which the guy says is the same or better. When I went and got his truck I couldn't believe how bad it ran till it was warmed up. It never did this before. It's kind of hard to believe oil would do this. So we have to switch to see. Truck runs great when warm. I know it's a 6.0L but it didn't do it before.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:33 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
That's something! Pretty cool isn't it? We will have about 400 of those to deal with come April. It was -18 here when I got up...it's supposed to get up to a balmy 25 by lunch

Sous, don't mess with that flu! Take it easy. Hope everyone else is having a good week. So far since Monday I have kept animals alive and changed a tire on the Bobcat...that's about it.
400, that's a full time job!! Maybe one day, but for now I'll stay with my small herd. Talking with a barn builder for a project I'm planning and he was telling me about another client who has 900+ head, was a small operation until he got some wind farm easement money.

Oh, had another calf yesterday. Got to see the whole thing this time.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:22 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Yay mail.

New 5th wheel tires

Wish the UPS guy would have rolled the tires 5 more feet up the sidewalk into my courtyard under the roof instead of whilly nilly all over the sidewalk in the pouring rain. Nearly tripped and fell over them in the dark after work.
"Honey, where's some dry towels? Don't ask why, just answer the question" 😁

Meanwhile parts from Clay are taking the scenic route...

Government agency efficiency at it's best 🤣 Still shows an estimated delivery time tomorrow, grab the popcorn, this one will be fun to see

Old 02-24-2018, 06:48 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Grats on the 5th tires. We just mounted some GY Endurance, hoping they work out for us.

Parts from Clay usually come quick, but the USPS has been dropping the ball big time since about November for us. We have lost 3 packages that have not been found since then. Not sure if they hired a bunch of new people for the holiday season, but something changed and it has not been working out.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:13 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Grats on the 5th tires. We just mounted some GY Endurance, hoping they work out for us.

Parts from Clay usually come quick, but the USPS has been dropping the ball big time since about November for us. We have lost 3 packages that have not been found since then. Not sure if they hired a bunch of new people for the holiday season, but something changed and it has not been working out.
Um, LOST three packages? As in you never got them? Man that just pisses me off. And I am sure they just sorta shrug their shoulders and say "oh sorry".

Old 02-24-2018, 08:38 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Had a Christmas gift "delivered" by Amazon, the van was labeled Amazon, one of those same day Sunday things. Anyway, it was a big light box - had pillows for the grandson - and the driver literally threw the box from the street toward our house. It landed in the front bushes. And it was raining. And we have a covered porch. I just happened to be fiddling with the bedroom drapes when he pulled up and watched the entire "delivery". I was on the phone with Amazon customer service before the truck was out of sight. Although my call was originally routed through some foreign nation, I was eventually connected to the manager of the facility where our package came from, and the manager knew who my driver was. It took awhile, but I'll admit the CS for Amazon at that point was pretty exceptional, and I'm fairly confident that the driver will actually get some feedback. With the explosion of Ring and similar front door security systems, these drivers will not be able to get away with this behavior for much longer.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:10 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I sincerely believe that Youtube is the go-to place for idiot diesel owners. Ouch, my eyes.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:22 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Had a Christmas gift "delivered" by Amazon, the van was labeled Amazon, one of those same day Sunday things. Anyway, it was a big light box - had pillows for the grandson - and the driver literally threw the box from the street toward our house. It landed in the front bushes. And it was raining. And we have a covered porch. I just happened to be fiddling with the bedroom drapes when he pulled up and watched the entire "delivery". I was on the phone with Amazon customer service before the truck was out of sight. Although my call was originally routed through some foreign nation, I was eventually connected to the manager of the facility where our package came from, and the manager knew who my driver was. It took awhile, but I'll admit the CS for Amazon at that point was pretty exceptional, and I'm fairly confident that the driver will actually get some feedback. With the explosion of Ring and similar front door security systems, these drivers will not be able to get away with this behavior for much longer.
This is awesome Tom. I am glad you did something about it. I would be pretty damn livid.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:11 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
I was pleasantly surprised that the initial CS rep I spoke with even had the ability to transfer me back to someone in the US, and she was able to get me in touch with the distribution manager near me in Phila. The fact that their system allowed them to do so is comforting, whether anything is accomplished I'll likely never know. Of course, once Amazon drives everybody else out of business, well then we'll see how good their CS and prices remain ...

Old 02-24-2018, 04:18 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
On another note, just came home after helping the son of a friend of my wife look over a 97 Mustang 3.8L V6 he bought two years ago and never got registered and on the road. He bought it not knowing anything about cars and stuff when he was a HS senior. We got it running, and it actually runs really good. But the PO had hit something and had done a poor job of reinstalling the front clip.

The question, does anyone know of a Mustang forum where he can get good advice, like this one?

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***