Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Old 12-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
so now I have a lot of green wood for my new hobby, wood turning on a lathe.
Hey Sous, depending on how "new" you are to the hobby I'm sure you probably know to seal the end of those green logs before you add them to your inventory. Old leftover paint, poly, primer, something. Green wood turns like butter, but splits rapidly. Sucks to turn something one day, and it be firewood the next

Old 12-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Sous
Moderator and SXE Junkie!
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
Hey Sous, depending on how "new" you are to the hobby I'm sure you probably know to seal the end of those green logs before you add them to your inventory. Old leftover paint, poly, primer, something. Green wood turns like butter, but splits rapidly. Sucks to turn something one day, and it be firewood the next
I am very new to the hobby. Although, I have taken the necessary steps to preserve the better logs in my stash with Anchor Seal 2. Thanks for the advice though.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Colorado Horseman
Senior User
Colorado Horseman has a good reputation on FTE.Colorado Horseman has a good reputation on FTE.
What a bunch of "Snowflakes" youse southerners are...

December 2006 at the home place!

Old 12-08-2017, 11:25 PM
Colorado Horseman
Senior User
Colorado Horseman has a good reputation on FTE.Colorado Horseman has a good reputation on FTE.
The gelding in the middle is my Leopard Appaloosa Daniel, a fine fellow I got as a rescue from a young lady who could not handle him. The photo is of the feeding area at the home place after clearing with the F350.
Dang, I miss that old guy!
Daniel passed a few years back... still got the truck.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:47 PM
Colorado Horseman
Senior User
Daniel and I, Flattops Wilderness.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:19 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
Power company is turning off power to areas where there might be risk of power lines coming down due to the fires and/or weather (high winds) in our area with the Santa Anas blowing through here.

If the wind and fires weren't enough to deal with Mother Nature gave me a project this weekend. Luckily only the leafy branches hit anything so nothing was damaged from the fall (especially people). Need to get this one out of the way so I can get to the other one that's still on the tree and hanging over the house before it falls too.
Been thinking about you Brian. Hope all is ok. Apparently, the house we sued to live in up in Oceanside burned to the ground in the Lilac fire.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:24 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Those are some great shots! Are you living int he horse trailer? I remember that much snow a few times. Crazy.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:46 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
"Those are some great shots! Are you living int he horse trailer?"
__________________________________________________ ______________________
Naw, the dish is for Sunday football. Remember the Bud commercial with the horses kicking an extra point?

Old 12-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by hydro man 17 View Post
"Those are some great shots! Are you living int he horse trailer?"
__________________________________________________ ______________________
Naw, the dish is for Sunday football. Remember the Bud commercial with the horses kicking an extra point?
You're fibbing, that dish is so the horses can watch episodes of Mr. Ed while they're in transit.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Colorado Horseman
Senior User
Actually, the dish is so I can have internet connectivity in remote areas. Once one leaves the interstate for the backcountry where I prefer to ride cell phones are useless.

The home place was a small cabin in the Rampart Range which also had no cell phone coverage, nor DSL.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Colorado Horseman
Senior User
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Those are some great shots! Are you living int he horse trailer? I remember that much snow a few times. Crazy.
I have for as long as a month or so. Home built "living quarters" complete with wood stove.

For the folks in the fire areas of California - I know your pain. We were forced to evacuate during the 2002 Hayman fire. Loaded the stock up and ran down to a friend's place in Larkspur who had enough pasture to share.

After waiting 3 weeks for the inept Wildfire Management Team (the administrators, not the brave and hard working men on the ground) to end the evacuation, loaded the crew back up and ran the roadblock to get home.

I had been in contact with a neighbor who stayed, the fire never came closer than 6 miles to the home place.

It was a treat to watch in my rear view mirror the Trooper in charge of the roadblock throw his "Smokey" hat to the ground as I blew by. They opened the road the next day!

Old 12-10-2017, 06:44 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Colorado Horseman View Post
Actually, the dish is so I can have internet connectivity in remote areas. Once one leaves the interstate for the backcountry where I prefer to ride cell phones are useless.

The home place was a small cabin in the Rampart Range which also had no cell phone coverage, nor DSL....
I live in a canyon where there is no cell service, satellite is spotty (GPS sometimes loses track and Sirius XM cuts out), and no TV signal... but we receive one classic rock FM station. Thank gawd for BluRay and fiber internet.

Sirius and internet - so I can hear recorded music from this century. My latest toe-tapper is Portugal the Man - "Feel it Still". Once I found that, I caught the live version on YouTube - and I think I like it even better.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:54 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
I am very new to the hobby. Although, I have taken the necessary steps to preserve the better logs in my stash with Anchor Seal 2. Thanks for the advice though.
The cheapest and most effective solution to sealing end grain on fresh cut green wood is to use paraffin wax. It's really cheap, and you can use a large coffee can on a burner to melt it up, dip the ends, it dries really fast, and then just set the can of wax aside for the next event. You can do this for short term or long term sealing. I took a cutting from a freshly downed green hickory limb from a neighbor to eventually use for a rolling pin, sealed it when it was cut, left the bark on the exterior, let it air dry in the garage for 4 years, and there was nary a split anywhere in the wood when I finally put it on the lathe to turn down the rolling pin.

Here's another tip I learned from Mike Mahoney (professional woodturner) while accompanying one of my sons in one of Mike's advanced wood turning classes... When turning green wood, the best thing you can do to minimize warpage and cracking while drying is to turn the piece in two stages... initially much thicker (at least 25%) or larger than you want, and then store the turned piece in a paper bag with the fresh green shavings packed all around it. This will slow down the moisture release and you'll end up with a more stable piece in the end, and it works for bowls, hollow forms, spindles, *****, etc.. You can do this for either short term storage (overnight or days between turning efforts) or log term storage (weeks to months between initial turning and project completion). Ultimately, once dried and removed from storage in the green shavings (couple of weeks or months), you can finish the turning down to your planned final dimensions and have a more stable final product.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:25 PM
andym
Post Fiend
andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
I picked up a utility trailer today. I'd been looking for a while and I found a guy selling a used one with new wheels, bearings and spindles. I took a look at it and it's a little rough but for $1000 the price was right. And it's big enough that I could use it as a car hauler too. There are no brakes though.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud of
Andy, For 1K, heck you can add brakes assuming there's a mounting flange, and add fenders and still be way ahead. Weld a couple tiedowns on it and you'll be golden. Nice snag!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.