*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
ya know us toothless gun nut loving rednecks of Oklahoma
We have a loooooot of dentists here in PA.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Can i throw his recent religion conversion into the mix since were talking can of worms?
Nope, sorry, you cannot.

Club FTE only for that topic, along with politics.

Stewart

Old 11-19-2017, 05:11 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 11-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,132 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
Harsh but accurate.
^^^^^^^

Old 11-20-2017, 07:04 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Using the key quote from that link: "A civilian, not a police officer, stopped this attack. He did so by grabbing his rifle, an "evil" AR-15 the left wishes to ban, engaging the shooter. He hit him twice and forced him to flee. He then chased the shooter down at nearly 100mph in a car driven by a second civilian until the shooter crashed at which point the shooter committed suicide (to prevent apprehension, obviously.)"

I have the disadvantage of not knowing all the details of this particular mass shooting, so I'm vulnerable to a counterpoint here. Lets look at an alternative scenario to the above excerpt for the sake of debate (notice how I escaped the word "argument"). I'm not looking to ban all guns, so how would that have played out if the AR15 was banned, but the Derringer was not?

For one thing, I doubt our armed hero was packing an AR15 in his jacket, so crucial life-threatening time was lost while the hero had to go through the motions to fetch the gun, prepare it for action, and return to the scene of the active crime. I don't know how a car got involved, but one might ask one harsh question here: If our hero had his Derringer on his person (much easier to "pack"), how many lives could have been saved between the hero's call to action and either killing the offender, or chasing him off? Would the shooter have even had time to get to a car to flee?

If the shooter only had access to weapons that could fire one or two shots before manual reload, would he have even tried this stunt? If so, how many would be missing from the victim list today?

If only the guns I describe are legal to own, from where are the criminals going to steal the heavy artillery?

One more thought.... So many of these tragic events are not committed by career criminals. They take place when somebody having a bad day or anger management issues has easy access to devices capable of horrific carnage.

After so much harsh debate on this topic over the years, it is very difficult to climb out of the all-or-none trenches. I feel there is a middle ground that needs serious consideration, without rubber-banding back to the all-or-none points of debate.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:18 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Give them an inch, they want a mile. "If" and that is a big if, we as a nation did say no more mechanized loading weapons, how long do you think it would be before all firearms would be illegal?

We are trying to stay away from the all or none mindset, but that is how it would play out.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:38 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
If the shooter only had access to weapons that could fire one or two shots before manual reload, would he have even tried this stunt? If so, how many would be missing from the victim list today?

If only the guns I describe are legal to own, from where are the criminals going to steal the heavy artillery?
I really try to stay out of this stuff but......:
1 I would guess what is already out in the world would last quite some time
2 If they decide to round them up to be destroyed people will not turn them in
3 They will come in from other countries
4 stolen or lost from police and military
5 modifying whatever is legal to be what someone wants
6 built from scratch

Anyway my truck rolled over 280,000 on the way into work this morning.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
People kill people. Guns don't kill people. Bullets don't kill people. Spoons don't make people fat. Gun control is about aim, maintenance and storage. That's it.

Why people kill is a discussion not allowed on this forum as mentioned by Stewart in #572.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Don't know what I'm going to do.
My wife asked me what I want for Christmas. Do I say four Rancho 9000xl shocks, a Hydra, an Airdog, more ammo... decisions decisions....

Old 11-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Using the key quote from that link: "A civilian, not a police officer, stopped this attack. He did so by grabbing his rifle, an "evil" AR-15 the left wishes to ban, engaging the shooter. He hit him twice and forced him to flee. He then chased the shooter down at nearly 100mph in a car driven by a second civilian until the shooter crashed at which point the shooter committed suicide (to prevent apprehension, obviously.)"

I have the disadvantage of not knowing all the details of this particular mass shooting, so I'm vulnerable to a counterpoint here. Lets look at an alternative scenario to the above excerpt for the sake of debate (notice how I escaped the word "argument"). I'm not looking to ban all guns, so how would that have played out if the AR15 was banned, but the Derringer was not?

For one thing, I doubt our armed hero was packing an AR15 in his jacket, so crucial life-threatening time was lost while the hero had to go through the motions to fetch the gun, prepare it for action, and return to the scene of the active crime. I don't know how a car got involved, but one might ask one harsh question here: If our hero had his Derringer on his person (much easier to "pack"), how many lives could have been saved between the hero's call to action and either killing the offender, or chasing him off? Would the shooter have even had time to get to a car to flee?

One more thought.... So many of these tragic events are not committed by career criminals. They take place when somebody having a bad day or anger management issues has easy access to devices capable of horrific carnage.

After so much harsh debate on this topic over the years, it is very difficult to climb out of the all-or-none trenches. I feel there is a middle ground that needs serious consideration, without rubber-banding back to the all-or-none points of debate.

The good Samaritan, was actually at home in his house when his daughter came in and said somebody was shooting at the church. So whether it was a Derringer or the evil A.R. 15 he still had to go get it. However, this response was far quicker than that of responding Law Enforcement. What I find interesting is when somebody shoots up a church or school everybody wants to ban firearms. However, when somebody uses pressure cookers to blow up a race in Boston nobody's screaming ban pressure cookers. When somebody drives through a crowd in New York City nobody wants to ban automobiles. When somebody goes through a crowd of people with a knife randomly stabbing them again nobody wants to ban knives. When the Military failed to report criminal violations to it's Civilian counterparts you don't see the Media and Liberals DEMANDING those responsible be held accountable...We blame the gun. Yet, these same individuals call an individual (LEO) with a gun when their families are threatened. And these individuals (LEO) have Occasionally been found guilty of committing crimes with their firearms...yet no one blames the LEO's firearm they blame the officer!
The fact of the matter is people want the illusion that their families are safe in their daily lives. And it makes them feel warm and cozy inside and it creates this illusion that banning in this case a gun they are somehow going to be safer from evil. The reality is evil exists, it will find a way to do it's evil deeds. If you could somehow ban and remove firearms, evil will simply use a different catalyst to obtain its objectives. We are blessed to be in a country where we don't see the military walking around with automatic weapons to keep our community safe, remember days after 9/11? However, this also creates an illusion we are somehow safer than we really are. You go to Europe, Iraq, Afghanistan, Israel, anywhere in the middle east and there are arm guards walking the streets, walking through the airports etc, prepared for evil in all its forms.
rant over...

Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Don't know what I'm going to do.
My wife asked me what I want for Christmas. Do I say four Rancho 9000xl shocks, a Hydra, an Airdog, more ammo... decisions decisions....
Hydra with 1023 or SDK tunes (your choice)... that was easy...

Old 11-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
When there is a bombing the criminal/attacker is blamed.

When a vehicle is used, the criminal/attacker is blamed.

When there is a shooting, the gun is blamed.

Figure that one out...

I am gaining weight now that I am out of the military. That is not McDonald's fault, it is not my silverware's fault, it is my fault.

When I heard about the recent shooting and that he had been discharged from the USAF and the records had not been forwarded on, I told my wife that "someone f-ed up big time and they should be held responsible to a point".

Whenever I run into someone that is willing to discuss how bad we as a nation have it, I talk with them for a few moments. I listen to their thoughts and concerns, then I begin to let them know my thoughts and concerns. I have even offered to pay for a 2 day trip to Afghanistan, Pakistan or other various 3rd world type countries that I have seen in person for them. You know what they always say, NO WAY! I will come back with something along the lines of yes, we may have some areas in our nation that need attention and improvement, but it is not nearly as bad as you think, or as bad as it could be.

A lot of people don't know how good we have it here and that is a problem. They just want to **** and moan about a topic and not listen to the other side because they don't agree with it. There is a going to be a critical point of failure within our culture in the future, and I hope that is not in my lifetime. If it is, I will have my weapons locked and ready to defend my family and way of life.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe everyone will get along and they will stop running cars into crowds and screaming at each other even before listening to the other sides points. We always have more to learn, whether we agree or disagree with the topic at hand.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Sous
Hydra with 1023 or SDK tunes (your choice)... that was easy...
i was leaning gearhead, but need more research before I go the others. Sdk is new to me

Old 11-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Give them an inch, they want a mile. "If" and that is a big if, we as a nation did say no more mechanized loading weapons, how long do you think it would be before all firearms would be illegal?

We are trying to stay away from the all or none mindset, but that is how it would play out.
No politician today can so much as hint at regulating the color of a bullet without risking his career. If we were to limit guns to the non-mechanized type (like they did in Austrailia after Port Arthur), it would likely have to be a majority vote by the public in order to bypass the normal monkey feces toss that is our modern political process.

Even if this were to come to pass, what are the odds 100 million gun owners will allow their representative to vote to take what's left? We can't say they will come to get the rest without more evidence than what we have now. With total respect to you as my friend here, one could make the case that the notion they'd come after the rest is possibly a rationalization to prevent any change at all.

Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
I really try to stay out of this stuff but......:
1 I would guess what is already out in the world would last quite some time
Absolutely... and the sooner we start weeding, the sooner the weeds will stop taking over the land.

2 If they decide to round them up to be destroyed people will not turn them in
This flies in the face of how everybody argues that most gun owners are law abiding citizens. It's not like I'm talking "gimme your $5000 customized AR15 and we'll melt it down." I'm saying buyback and/or swap/reimbursement for a legal replacement of like quality. Anybody left with the illegal guns would face very nasty sentences for so much as exposing possession of them, let alone use of them in a crime.

3 They will come in from other countries
They do now. Drugs come in from other countries. We're back to how bad the criminal wants it, and how much he/she is willing to pay on the black market.

4 stolen or lost from police and military
We have that now... but how many mass shootings took place with those weapons?

5 modifying whatever is legal to be what someone wants
6 built from scratch
The design of a breach load or bolt action gun does not lend itself well to easy modification. With welding skills, one could make a home made cannon. I've made tennis ball cannons with tin cans (not aluminum, I'm that old), duct tape, and lighter fluid. These kinds of things can't be stopped, but the laws for breaking gun laws are pretty nasty... as they should be.

Anyway my truck rolled over 280,000 on the way into work this morning.
Congratulations!

Old 11-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
My opinions on this are my own so I just keep them to myself. Oh, but a smart neighbor doesn't let his neighbors know what he has.

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***