Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Old 11-12-2017, 09:40 AM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
It is snowing here. Glad I got the 2 big tractors and plows hauled to storage yesterday.

Decided to check on the truck batteries. One was junk and the other tested really good. Had another group 65 that was a warranty free replacement a few years ago when my grandpa's truck was scrapped so I used it. Yes I know I should go buy 2 new ones and I would have had I not had one sitting on the shelf. Had it ready as a jumper battery if needed for the trailer hydraulics and tractors. Drivers side ground cable needed a new end. My dad had bought me these and seem nice. I did use a set of lead shims so I didn't have to squeeze it closed. I am going to add the extra ground cable from here to the alternator bolt and the positive to the alternator charge then spray something on to prevent corrosion.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:58 PM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
Well, back to Christmas Trees. Balsam Hill is not on my recommended list. I sort of believe in the saying "you get what you pay for", so going a little extra for the premium BH brand I hoped would give us a simple tree we could use for many many years. The ordering was simple, the delivery service was very fast, and the tree itself does appear to be very well assembled and packaged. A decent tree stand, nice storage bags for the tree and stand, even a tool kit for repairs. It was very well packaged, and until it didn't work I was really happy with it.

But all that quickly fell apart. Literally. The top third didn't work. Calling customer service gets you the worst English speaking techs in China, or wherever, and finally on the third tech I get someone whom I can somewhat understand. Initial troubleshooting fails when told to check the fuses, as the fuse holders are closed with triangle shaped screw heads. No tool provided. Skipping that step we identified the pole connection as the fault.

But while playing with it I realize there are little glass caps covering the LED light bulbs, which kept dropping off and getting crushed beneath my knees as I'm crawling around the tree trying to solve the issue. I now have little cuts on my finger tips and bits of crushed glass in the carpet. We also have a two year old grandson napping upstairs, so we'll need to clean up before he comes back down. That pretty much ended my relationship with Balsam Hill.

Since the glass bulb covers are obviously a problem, I opted to simply cancel the order and return it while on the phone. They emailed a return FedEx shipping label, but the file doesn't include a file extension, and the customer service rep didn't even know what format it should be in. And then we get disconnected. Still waiting on a call back. After packing it up, I searched and found 12 little glass light covers on the floor. And I only knew to look for them after crushing four when crawling around it.

I'm tempted to go with real trees again, but I'm still haunted (by howls of laughter) of chasing two birds around a friend's house that were bailed up in a fresh cut tree his Dad picked up from the Poconos some 20 years ago.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:29 PM
ZachinCO
Senior User
ZachinCO is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692 View Post
It is snowing here. Glad I got the 2 big tractors and plows hauled to storage yesterday.

Decided to check on the truck batteries. One was junk and the other tested really good. Had another group 65 that was a warranty free replacement a few years ago when my grandpa's truck was scrapped so I used it. Yes I know I should go buy 2 new ones and I would have had I not had one sitting on the shelf. Had it ready as a jumper battery if needed for the trailer hydraulics and tractors. Drivers side ground cable needed a new end. My dad had bought me these and seem nice. I did use a set of lead shims so I didn't have to squeeze it closed. I am going to add the extra ground cable from here to the alternator bolt and the positive to the alternator charge then spray something on to prevent corrosion.
Nice Oliver! Lots of standing corn still.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:31 AM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Morning all. Good day to pull the hitch out of the bed. Now where did i put that back brace?

Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
Morning all. Good day to pull the hitch out of the bed. Now where did i put that back brace?
don't forget the elbow brace as well

Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 AM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
Oh, these are paper machines, more or less like what I work around

and the end where the paper is wound onto a roll after it is dried
That last picture above, though impressively pristine and very nice looking, is nothing like what most paper machine operating floors look like during operation. That pic must be from one of the "recent" European or Asian machine startups with all the suit-n-tie folks standing around and the polished floor surface. The actual US machine operating floor is generally more steamy, wetted floors from hosing up. When you get into a sheet break scenario ("in the hay"), there are people scattered all over with brooms and air hoses and washup hoses trying like the devil to get the shredded and torn sheet fragments out of the dryer section before they can catch on fire, and then get the sheet re-threaded through the machine and "back on the reel" at the dry end.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:12 AM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Hey... update on my restart project for a paper machine. The project is a definite go-ahead and we are charging like a herd of stallions into getting the engineering completed for a targeted May 2018 startup. I've been up to the plant once, then over to another of their plants for corporate and technology review meetings to refine the project scope, and am leaving to go back to the plant again this evening for another round of more detailed engineering evaluations. Because this is such a cutthroat market right now (everyone and their brother are working towards doing what our client is doing), I can't divulge the company name or plant location, but this is a huge opportunity for this plant to revitalize it's market presence and profitability for the long haul.

I'm really stoked about helping get a paper machine back into operation and getting laid off US workers back on the job again!

Old 11-14-2017, 08:16 AM
F250_
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692 View Post
...My dad had bought me these and seem nice. I did use a set of lead shims so I didn't have to squeeze it closed....
Where did your dad find those cable ends (and the post shims)? I can certainly use some shims until I replace my cables.

EDIT: I found the shims. I have never seen or heard of them before... wonderful accessory to have on hand for emergency situations. I'm going to chase some down and toss them in each of my vehicle "tool bags".

EDIT again! I found the cable connectors. They are by a company called Fastronix, and are available at multiple locations. Google "Fastronix compression style battery cable end". Evidently, these compression style connectors are available in a variety of configurations. Below is a link to their battery power solutions web site.
Fastronix Solutions--Battery Power Accessories

Old 11-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice!
Oh come on, all paper machines look like that pristine picture when the big wigs come by
The rest of the time it's the 4 operators soaking wet from water hoses or sweat covered in dust cussing out management and trying to survive the shift
Not really, when it runs good it runs great, when it's bad it's beyond bad. Never a middle ground for some reason

Old 11-14-2017, 08:36 AM
F250_
Post Fiend
Yeah... the first time I toured a paper machine operation while interviewing for my first plant job after college, we were walking around the machine and all the guys were just sitting around in various stages of relaxation and joking around with one another. I asked the tour foreman why they had all of those guys "sitting around doing nothing", and his only reply was "That's the way you want it! Once you see a 'hay session', you'll understand!"... and he was absolutely right! The machine can only make money when those guys are sitting around "doing nothing".

Old 11-14-2017, 08:55 AM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
Where did your dad find those cable ends (and the post shims)? I can certainly use some shims until I replace my cables.

EDIT: I found the shims. I have never seen or heard of them before... wonderful accessory to have on hand for emergency situations. I'm going to chase some down and toss them in each of my vehicle "tool bags".

EDIT again! I found the cable connectors. They are by a company called Fastronix, and are available at multiple locations. Google "Fastronix compression style battery cable end". Evidently, these compression style connectors are available in a variety of configurations. Below is a link to their battery power solutions web site.
Fastronix Solutions--Battery Power Accessories
The shims worked well after I cut them. They fit nice on the larger positive terminal but were loose on the neg. I am guessing they used to be sold as a pair with 2 different sizes and when production went to china it became 1 size. worked well enough. I also use half a shim on the ground of the other battery.

Shims were farm and fleet. Clamps were napa. Also got a clamp to do the passenger positive double cable but found the pos cable I kept from my old truck in very good condition I will swap in sometime.

Edit now with 2 good batteries I have 1318 cca when they tested it. Was 685 or so with the bad battery. Should be good to go for winter now. Also bought some of that special battery terminal spray. Hope they stay clean.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:21 PM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
Got my truck inside and in the air this morning. Need to order oil cooler o-rings and gaskets.

Removed my single gauge pod I had my pyrometer in and replaced with an autometer quad pillar pod. Also installed my mechanical boost gauge. Fit is so much better than the pod I removed. Tried to see how much boost it would make but just spun the tires little slippery out.

Played with my parking brake. Got the drivers side working but spinning the adjuster on the passenger side never tightened up. It holds so now I can let it run if I want. Always was a pain to shut it off all the time.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:52 PM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
The parking brake, or lack there of is the only thing I don't like about having a ZF6. I rebuilt the braking mechanism and cleaned the pads and installed new rotors and it is still crap. It is a lot better than when I got the truck, but it is crap.

There is a guy on here a while back that installed an electronic system that would provide brake fluid pressure to the rear lines only, and maintain pressure even when the vehicle was off. I thought this was a great idea, but the gizmo is like $500 or something and is not worth it in my mind. I have big yellow chocks that I put out when/if I need to.

This is one advantage to having an automatic, but other than that I am very happy with my ZF6.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:00 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
The parking brake, or lack there of is the only thing I don't like about having a ZF6. I rebuilt the braking mechanism and cleaned the pads and installed new rotors and it is still crap. It is a lot better than when I got the truck, but it is crap.

There is a guy on here a while back that installed an electronic system that would provide brake fluid pressure to the rear lines only, and maintain pressure even when the vehicle was off. I thought this was a great idea, but the gizmo is like $500 or something and is not worth it in my mind. I have big yellow chocks that I put out when/if I need to.

This is one advantage to having an automatic, but other than that I am very happy with my ZF6.
Did you clean up or rebuild the actuator levers that the cable connects to?

Old 11-18-2017, 02:32 PM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
Did you clean up or rebuild the actuator levers that the cable connects to?
Yes. 10 characters

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.