Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Happy Birthday to all you Marines out there, 242 this year. I'm a little early, Nov 10, but posting now because last night my wife and I attended the local Marine Corps Ball.

A special event last night involved the awarding of a Purple Heart to LCpl Jerry Palace, of the 10th Marines Regiment, 2nd Marines, injured during the amphibious assault at the Battle of Saipan on 15 June, 1944. Due to his injuries he was brought back to the US, however his records were subsequently lost and he never received his Purple Heart. Through the help of the Marine Corps League, he was awarded the Purple Heart and it was presented to him by his great-grandson, currently serving as a Corporal in the USMC.

Semper Fidelis, Marines!
One of my best friends is a Marine, I don't hold it against him...too much. We both work together now as Contractors for as much **** as we give each other both of us would go to hell and back for the other.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:49 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Went to the 100th Anniversary of Kelly Field at Lackland AFB airshow today. What a GREAT time. I'll get some photos up if I can. Was a beautiful day for it. I have seen the T-birds many times, but it never gets old.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:03 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
So I was at my folks's house, and Fox News was on the tube. They had non-stop live coverage of Air Force One and the decoy sitting on the Tarmac at Hikam Air Force Base - until they took off for Japan. I knew they were going to Japan because that's what they kept saying over and over, and that's what the screen read over and over... while a 747 just sat there.

So this is what Fox News does on a slow news day when nobody has any trash talk to share? Some guy flies to Hawaii, then Japan - and they "Trump up" the event as if a 747 was a Saturn V rocket preparing to fly to the moon. Have they nothing informative share with us?

Old 11-06-2017, 07:20 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
So I was at my folks's house, and Fox News was on the tube. They had non-stop live coverage of Air Force One and the decoy sitting on the Tarmac at Hikam Air Force Base - until they took off for Japan. I knew they were going to Japan because that's what they kept saying over and over, and that's what the screen read over and over... while a 747 just sat there.

So this is what Fox News does on a slow news day when nobody has any trash talk to share? Some guy flies to Hawaii, then Japan - and they "Trump up" the event as if a 747 was a Saturn V rocked preparing to fly to the moon. Have they nothing informative share with us?
I agree 100%. Perhaps cover something like this that makes us proud of who we are and what we do every day instead of picking out the faults and bad sides of people.

Don't get me wrong, I feel that we should know about the bad side of people when they are political or government leaders, but we should also know about the random acts of kindness that are often swept under the rug.

Happy Monday to everyone, turkey day is almost here!

Old 11-06-2017, 07:22 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Went to the 100th Anniversary of Kelly Field at Lackland AFB airshow today. What a GREAT time. I'll get some photos up if I can. Was a beautiful day for it. I have seen the T-birds many times, but it never gets old.
I too have seen the Thunderbirds and Blue Angles more times than I can count. Being retired USAF I had the chance to see a lot of very cool planes during my time. I still remember the first time I saw a B-2, I was stationed at Offutt and was in my work truck driving to a job site. We saw it coming in for a landing and then it proceeded to do a fly over and it was amazing to see in person.

Watching a U-2 take off in Korea, that is pretty cool too. Seeing it land was even better with a chase car hauling *** behind it.

Air shows are a lot of fun, glad you enjoyed it.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:49 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I grew up loving planes which is why I spent my sea time on aircraft carriers. Through the years I've seen several international teams and ours many times. The T-Birds are great but IMHO you can't top the Blue Angels (sorry Sous). I try to see them every March at their opening show in El Centro.

If you want fun though (live guns, bombs, and supersonic flybys), you've got to do a family day cruise or Tiger Cruise on a carrier. Now that's a show!

Old 11-06-2017, 10:56 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Tiger cruise on the US Missouri from Pearl Harbor in 1988. I was stationed at Subase and a friend's cousin was on the Missouri. Talk about impressive.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:07 AM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Watching a U-2 take off in Korea, that is pretty cool too."
__________________________________________________ _____________________
Saw one take off from Moffet Field years ago. Went virtually straight up until it was out of sight - in no time. Years later watched a Harrier land at Monterrey air port. About as opposite an experience as it gets.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by brian42
I grew up loving planes which is why I spent my sea time on aircraft carriers. Through the years I've seen several international teams and ours many times. The T-Birds are great but IMHO you can't top the Blue Angels (sorry Sous). I try to see them every March at their opening show in El Centro.

If you want fun though (live guns, bombs, and supersonic flybys), you've got to do a family day cruise or Tiger Cruise on a carrier. Now that's a show!
No offense taken my friend. I agree, the Blue Angles put on a better show. Perhaps one day the Thunderbirds will adopt the F-22 as their weapon system of choice and drop jaws.

As long as they are all flying with the American flag, we are on the same team in my book.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Tiger cruise, Abraham Lincoln on their return trip from Banda Aceh. I actually spent some time at the helm, wore a bomb suit, got the resounding thump in the chest of a supersonic deck-height flyby, shot a 50 cal into the ship's wake, and watched-heard-felt a Phalanx rip loose. We had water over the bow while I was up in the tower, and obviously rough seas while I was at the helm... it handles like a deep vee hull at displacement speed in the slop. Had to really work it to keep a straight line.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:45 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sous
No offense taken my friend. I agree, the Blue Angles put on a better show. Perhaps one day the Thunderbirds will adopt the F-22 as their weapon system of choice and drop jaws.

As long as they are all flying with the American flag, we are on the same team in my book.
Agreed. The Navy has gone to (almost) exclusively the F-18 Hornet. The Blue Angels are an active squadron and can deploy with a fresh coat of grey on the fuselage.

Tiger cruise, Abraham Lincoln on their return trip from Banda Hache. I actually spent some time at the helm, wore a bomb suit, got the resounding thump in the chest of a supersonic deck-height flyby, shot a 50 cal into the ship's wake, and watched-heard-felt a Phalanx rip loose. We had water over the bow while I was up in the tower, and obviously rough seas while I was at the helm... it handles like a deep vee hull at displacement speed in the slop. Had to really work it to keep a straight line.
What year was that? I spent some time on the Lincoln.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:44 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sous
I too have seen the Thunderbirds and Blue Angles more times than I can count. Being retired USAF I had the chance to see a lot of very cool planes during my time. I still remember the first time I saw a B-2, I was stationed at Offutt and was in my work truck driving to a job site. We saw it coming in for a landing and then it proceeded to do a fly over and it was amazing to see in person.

Watching a U-2 take off in Korea, that is pretty cool too. Seeing it land was even better with a chase car hauling *** behind it.

Air shows are a lot of fun, glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah, we are pretty much aviation NERDS. I like the BA for Fat Albert, but the F-16 has always my top fighter jets, so I am partial to the the Thunderbirds. My dad flew F-4s way back when. That's where my obsessions started LOL

Old 11-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
...What year was that? I spent some time on the Lincoln.
2005, on the return trip from the Banda Aceh Tsunami. My son was a nuke at the time, and he had some grim photos from their time their. One of their key duties was to crank up the power to make lots and lots of fresh water and fill jugs on the hangar deck.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:05 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Yeah, we are pretty much aviation NERDS. I like the BA for Fat Albert, but the F-16 has always my top fighter jets, so I am partial to the the Thunderbirds. My dad flew F-4s way back when. That's where my obsessions started LOL
Ah the old lead sleds (F-4). I love the old S-3 Vikings. Nothing special but listening to those GE Turbofans was great. They had a unique sound and you could pick it out with you eyes closed...not unlike a HEUI engine at an intersection.

2005, on the return trip from the Banda Aceh Tsunami. My son was a nuke at the time, and he had some grim photos from their time their. One of their key duties was to crank up the power to make lots and lots of fresh water and fill jugs on the hangar deck.
Small world. I was on the Lincoln from '94-'98. Congrats on you son being an enlisted nuke. Not the easiest path and lots of hours in the plant when everyone else goes home. I retired last year after being one for 24+ years. What rate is/was he if you don't mind me asking?

Old 11-07-2017, 07:41 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Morning commute Texas Longhorns

Name:  IMG_20171107_082029_734.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  1.76 MB

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***