Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

 
  #436  
Old 10-25-2017, 01:00 PM
Glowplugger
Glowplugger is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central OK
Posts: 768
Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.
@timmy A fellow fishin' freak! Tight lines, buddy! That's a pretty little fella. Did you introduce him to some hot grease? My middle daughter is a fishing tourney fanatic. Best we've done is 4th so far, but she's relentless. Earlier this month we blew the lower unit in the boat so I'm fixing on that as I have time. If I don't have it done by spring I think she'll leave me for another family.


@ev'body else

Sorry for the slow replies. I finally found my main line and it was a 3/4" copper line buried in a wall behind my water heater. So I spent yesterday pulling the door off my water closet, removing my water heater (that's a heavy beast!), tapping into the line, and putting this monstrosity together...









.... to run the line to the softener. 12 hours later I was ready to do the tap and pressure test. That was midnight. I finally finished up at 4am and boy are my arms tired! Har har har! Oh wait, wrong joke. Kids missed their showers last night. They were they happy to have hot water this morning. Thankfully wife is out of town.

Actually this morning I had to run everyone out of the house. I woke up at 6 to get them out the door for school and my goober-groggy brain said, "hey stupid. That's not a stinky kid, that's GAS smell!" so I ran them all out on the front lawn in their jammies while I searched down the problem. 15 minutes later I've soaped all the connections to the water heater and still can't find it. Finally I got in the attic to peek down through a hole in the water closet and duh....the exhaust pipe for the water heater is pulled loose from the roof vent. Replaced and kids finally got to come back in and get ready. HA! Good times.

Anyway, I'm beat. I never want to do this again, but it was a good learning experience. Thanks for the good words guys.
 
  #437  
Old 10-25-2017, 02:58 PM
Tugly's Avatar
Tugly
Tugly is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia River
Posts: 18,272
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
That's quite the bypass valve. Good job on finding your main and getting everything in there. Now... off to the hardware store to load up on a pallet of salt.

A little diddy just popped up in my head - "You lift sixteen tons, and whaddya get?"
 
  #438  
Old 10-25-2017, 03:24 PM
timmyboy76's Avatar
timmyboy76
timmyboy76 is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,934
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Convict 2016...daughter and niece
@timmy A fellow fishin' freak! Tight lines, buddy! That's a pretty little fella. Did you introduce him to some hot grease? My middle daughter is a fishing tourney fanatic. Best we've done is 4th so far, but she's relentless. Earlier this month we blew the lower unit in the boat so I'm fixing on that as I have time. If I don't have it done by spring I think she'll leave me for another family.

. Haha, yup.. My little munchkin looks forward to Mammoth every year. We've done a few derbys here locally but nothing with tags. Still, good times, a few catches and great memories...Nowadays, its catch n release, slick. Release them to catch another day, besides, I got into this fly fishing gig. Man, whatta rush. Thinking of doing dayrin tomorrow back to bishop and bringing the nephew...Already scout'n where on the Owens I can fly, without freezing my nu$# off, during winter time.... Stream at camp
Back countrying it to lake
Grass Lake off John Mur trail
 
  #439  
Old 10-25-2017, 03:26 PM
hydro man 17
hydro man 17 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hat Creek Ca
Posts: 1,910
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't even want to think about that much salt in my septic tank!
 
  #440  
Old 10-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Glowplugger
Glowplugger is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central OK
Posts: 768
Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
That's quite the bypass valve. Good job on finding your main and getting everything in there. Now... off to the hardware store to load up on a pallet of salt.

A little diddy just popped up in my head - "You lift sixteen tons, and whaddya get?"
I love that song! My oldest daughter and i used to sing it and pretend we were lifting the furniture when she was little.


No salt on this system, thank goodness. Though anything would be better than the crap that passes for "hard water" in our area. It's really just moist rocks running through the faucet. all my fixtures get the white scale in a week and I have to change my sink & tub spigots every 6 months.

Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
Convict 2016...daughter and niece
@timmy A fellow fishin' freak! Tight lines, buddy! That's a pretty little fella. Did you introduce him to some hot grease? My middle daughter is a fishing tourney fanatic. Best we've done is 4th so far, but she's relentless. Earlier this month we blew the lower unit in the boat so I'm fixing on that as I have time. If I don't have it done by spring I think she'll leave me for another family.

. Haha, yup.. My little munchkin looks forward to Mammoth every year. We've done a few derbys here locally but nothing with tags. Still, good times, a few catches and great memories...Nowadays, its catch n release, slick. Release them to catch another day, besides, I got into this fly fishing gig. Man, whatta rush. Thinking of doing dayrin tomorrow back to bishop and bringing the nephew...Already scout'n where on the Owens I can fly, without freezing my nu$# off, during winter time.... Stream at camp
Back countrying it to lake
Grass Lake off John Mur trail

Just beau-ti-ful! You're a blessed man! Those memories are priceless. Looks like she's about old enough to be able to do the heavy lifting with you too so getting in the hard to reach ponds and lakes will soon be a team effort if they're not already. Now that's some fun right there!

I hear ya about CPR, but I've got a love/hate relationship with certain species. I have a real problem with the R when it comes to carp (flowerbeds) and crappie (mah belly!).
 
  #441  
Old 10-25-2017, 05:17 PM
hydro man 17
hydro man 17 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hat Creek Ca
Posts: 1,910
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
Timmyboy,
Are you speaking about fishing in the Owens River?? I know that for a lot of years it flowed directly from Mono Lake to the L.A. aqueduct, but I think that I heard that they finally forced LADWP to release water back to the valley?
 
  #442  
Old 10-26-2017, 06:49 AM
Tugly's Avatar
Tugly
Tugly is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia River
Posts: 18,272
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by hydro man 17 View Post
I don't even want to think about that much salt in my septic tank!
Potassium Chloride is an alternative water softener salt... but a little pricey. For best results and most salt efficiency, a twin-tank softener (twin softening beds) is the way to go. You don't waste capacity or come up short... because when the capacity of one tank is used up, the softener switches to the standby charged tank any time of day or night and performs a regeneration cycle. I have a Kinetico softener for a long list of reasons.
 
  #443  
Old 10-26-2017, 09:01 AM
BBslider001's Avatar
BBslider001
BBslider001 is online now
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 7,705
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Mornin' guys! That stream looks REALLY inviting. Man, I miss fishing.

Well, I have been road tripping with the family to the Texas Hill Country, Bandera to be exact. We will arrive tomorrow around lunchtime. The trip has been good so far and the truck has been flawless (knock on wood). We are towing the RV because this will most likely be a relocate if all works out like it should with job and my grad school. Long story, which I'll get into later. We really enjoyed the portion through Eastern Colorado. Those small towns are really nice and the farmland and ranches are just amazing.

Hope everyone is well! Onward!
 
  #444  
Old 10-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Sous's Avatar
Sous
Sous is online now
Moderator
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Hartwell, GA
Posts: 8,433
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Had a very ****ty night. My wife is traveling back from Idaho to Georgia via I-90 right now. Last night she had to stop in Wyoming because the cross winds were so severe she was having a hard time keeping our medium sized SUV (Subaru Tribeca) on the road.

Well, she was forced to stop at a rest stop that didn't have cell service and the pay phone in the lobby was not working. We never stop or start a trip without calling and letting each other know where we are. I ended up calling the state police for Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota hoping for no news because in a situation like that no news is good news.

I got a glimpse of what she must have felt like when I was deployed to war zones (Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia) when I was not able to call for long periods of time. I slept about an hour last night in total and told my boss this morning what was going on and told him I would either be in a bit when I hear from her, or they needed to find a new IT person if things did not go well.

She called at 0630 central time as soon as she had a signal and all is well. She is back on the road now and hating the Wyoming/South Dakota weather and winds.

Not sure why I felt I would share this, but it makes me realize the struggles that loved ones left behind face when others travel for work. Be it military or civilian, when your loved ones are away, it is tough on everyone. I guess I always had the thought "well I am the one in the war zone and that they are fine at home". That is not the case at all.

Be safe out there everyone, someone is wondering if you are safe and when you will be home.
 
  #445  
Old 10-26-2017, 11:44 AM
Tugly's Avatar
Tugly
Tugly is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia River
Posts: 18,272
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Tribeca and wind....

My wife bought a Tribeca this summer, and she absolutely loves the spaciousness in there. We had a scare because of an engine temperature thing, so she took it to the stealership while I was at work. Their "computer" said we had blown head gaskets and needed $8000 worth of engine swap with no guarantees. Unless they invented a blown head gasket sensor I don't know about, I was a bit skeptical of the diagnosis from a single computer hookup.

I broke out the Horrible Fright coolant system tester I bought for Stinky and hooked it up to "Becca"... zero leaks. Upon inspection of the radiator cap, the spring was collapsed... so we bought a new cap, installed it, and that was the end of the engine temperature thing.

I got some major kudos for that in terms of meals... but I'm still not allowed to break wind in the room. Ya can't have everything.
 
  #446  
Old 10-26-2017, 11:51 AM
aawlberninf350's Avatar
aawlberninf350
aawlberninf350 is online now
It's a Van Gogh
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pinole, CA
Posts: 3,129
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Yikes! That was a rough night for both of you! Keeps the priorities in focus that's for sure. Glad for the happy ending. Neat thing about growing old together is finding yourself in the other's moccasins occasionally, makes us better people.

Reminds me of historical accounts I've read about people travelling long distances. Before we had decent communication everyone going on a journey knew they may never see home again. War, disease, bandits, bad food, heck just getting an infected scratch, any or all of these could cash your ticket and nobody back home would know. That slow burning sense of fate is very different from today when we are accustomed to contacting people at will. We quickly go from s'all good to anything bad is possible. Sometimes I think technology is making the human condition worse. But I do like indoor plumbing, let's keep that.
 
  #447  
Old 10-26-2017, 11:58 AM
F250_'s Avatar
F250_
F250_ is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,267
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Wow, Sous. I completely get where you're at. I'm glad, too, that your worries were for naught!

It's so good to get and keep that perspective of what we're leaving behind when we go somewhere and do something... anywhere.... anything! I know it helps me work much harder at being safe, NOT being stupid, and keeping very short accounts if important relationships are in a tough place when I'm getting ready to travel for business, but in reality, we face that potential every time we walk out the door!

I don't mean to be a doom & gloomer... just agreeing that you've hit the nail on the head!
 
  #448  
Old 10-26-2017, 12:01 PM
Sous's Avatar
Sous
Sous is online now
Moderator
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Hartwell, GA
Posts: 8,433
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
My wife bought a Tribeca this summer, and she absolutely loves the spaciousness in there. We had a scare because of an engine temperature thing, so she took it to the stealership while I was at work. Their "computer" said we had blown head gaskets and needed $8000 worth of engine swap with no guarantees. Unless they invented a blown head gasket sensor I don't know about, I was a bit skeptical of the diagnosis from a single computer hookup.

I broke out the Horrible Fright coolant system tester I bought for Stinky and hooked it up to "Becca"... zero leaks. Upon inspection of the radiator cap, the spring was collapsed... so we bought a new cap, installed it, and that was the end of the engine temperature thing.

I got some major kudos for that in terms of meals... but I'm still not allowed to break wind in the room. Ya can't have everything.
The Subaru has really won us over. It was our first Subaru since owning an AWD Audi S4 in England that we fell in love with. We bought a 2008 Tribeca Limited which was filled to the gills with options and the 3rd row. For a medium sized SUV, it is bad ***. We have had it in the north GA mountains running through waist high grass and crossing shallow river passes in the Idaho mountains. It is a great vehicle that we plan to keep for a ling time.

The AWD system is just about as good as the Audi in my opinion and have never let us down. The MPG is kind of crap getting about 21-24 on the highway, but the quality of the vehicle makes up for it. (knock on wood) The only thing we have had to do to it was brakes, tires and relay for the A/C in the 80K miles we have owned it.

When/if it has to leave us, we are planning on a new style Outback. Subaru makes a great product.
 
  #449  
Old 10-26-2017, 12:06 PM
Sous's Avatar
Sous
Sous is online now
Moderator
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Hartwell, GA
Posts: 8,433
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
Yikes! That was a rough night for both of you! Keeps the priorities in focus that's for sure. Glad for the happy ending. Neat thing about growing old together is finding yourself in the other's moccasins occasionally, makes us better people.

Reminds me of historical accounts I've read about people travelling long distances. Before we had decent communication everyone going on a journey knew they may never see home again. War, disease, bandits, bad food, heck just getting an infected scratch, any or all of these could cash your ticket and nobody back home would know. That slow burning sense of fate is very different from today when we are accustomed to contacting people at will. We quickly go from s'all good to anything bad is possible. Sometimes I think technology is making the human condition worse. But I do like indoor plumbing, let's keep that.
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
Wow, Sous. I completely get where you're at. I'm glad, too, that your worries were for naught!

It's so good to get and keep that perspective of what we're leaving behind when we go somewhere and do something... anywhere.... anything! I know it helps me work much harder at being safe, NOT being stupid, and keeping very short accounts if important relationships are in a tough place when I'm getting ready to travel for business, but in reality, we face that potential every time we walk out the door!

I don't mean to be a doom & gloomer... just agreeing that you've hit the nail on the head!
Agree on all accounts fellas. Be safe and don't take anything or anyone for granted when you walk out that door.

Refrigeration I would like to keep too, because I like 33 degree beer in my kitchen
 
  #450  
Old 10-26-2017, 12:32 PM
SaintITC
SaintITC is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Springfield, PA
Posts: 1,418
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
My wife bought a Tribeca this summer, and she absolutely loves the spaciousness in there. We had a scare because of an engine temperature thing, so she took it to the stealership while I was at work. Their "computer" said we had blown head gaskets and needed $8000 worth of engine swap with no guarantees.
Is it new?? Sounds like the stealership saw a pretty girl and hoped to double bill for a engine.

I had a young girl renting a house from me call one winter concerned about making the rent the next month, because her car threw the timing belt and mashed the valves and pistons (Mitsu 3000GT). The car wasn't even a year old, but the dealer told her since it was a "belt" it wasn't covered by the warranty. They put her in a very nice, very new, and very expensive, rental SUV loaner - it was "all they had" - the weekly rental rate was almost as much as her house monthly rate, plus whatever to replace the motor.

I went back to the dealer with her - the timing belt was covered for 5 years / 60months or such, and the dealer absolutely knew it - and in a few short minutes they "realized" their mistake. Suddenly they had a crappy old econobox to loan her for the several weeks it would take to fix it. I told them she'll be more than happy to keep the SUV for free in lieu of calling a lawyer, which they accepted. Took 'em six weeks to fix that car. I told her to sell as soon as possible. Sadly, it's crap like this has me not trusting people I don't know for anything.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.