Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

 
  #406  
Old 10-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Sous's Avatar
Sous
Sous is offline
Moderator
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Hartwell, GA
Posts: 8,466
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
I hear ya about the "not a plumber" thing. Last week I installed a 44 gallon water pressure tank on our well system. That was a first for me, not too difficult, but a lot of head scratching at the time.

Weather was great here in N. GA today. Sunny, light breeze and about 75 degrees. I sat on the dock with a cold beer when I was taking a break from working on the truck.
 
  #407  
Old 10-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Glowplugger
Glowplugger is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central OK
Posts: 768
Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
I hear ya about the "not a plumber" thing. Last week I installed a 44 gallon water pressure tank on our well system. That was a first for me, not too difficult, but a lot of head scratching at the time.

Weather was great here in N. GA today. Sunny, light breeze and about 75 degrees. I sat on the dock with a cold beer when I was taking a break from working on the truck.
Yep, plumbing isn't hard stuff, but the logistics can cause a lot of cat-kicking. I bet that pressure tank made a big difference though!

Here we're under a tornado warning and I'm staying up till 10 to see if I have to dig the kids and dogs out of bed and run them into the shelter. Best $2500 I ever spent, next to my truck.
 
  #408  
Old 10-21-2017, 09:09 PM
Sous's Avatar
Sous
Sous is offline
Moderator
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Hartwell, GA
Posts: 8,466
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Glowplugger View Post
Yep, plumbing isn't hard stuff, but the logistics can cause a lot of cat-kicking. I bet that pressure tank made a big difference though!

Here we're under a tornado warning and I'm staying up till 10 to see if I have to dig the kids and dogs out of bed and run them into the shelter. Best $2500 I ever spent, next to my truck.
it sure did, the old one which was bad was only 20 gallons. I told my mom, Plumbing isn't hard because you will know if it's wrong when there is water spraying out of someplace that it's not supposed to be.

stay safe up there, been through my share of tornadoes when I lived in Iowa as a kid.
 
  #409  
Old 10-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Wesley Green's Avatar
Wesley Green
Wesley Green is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Muskogee, Ok
Posts: 1,197
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Glowplugger View Post
Here we're under a tornado warning and I'm staying up till 10 to see if I have to dig the kids and dogs out of bed and run them into the shelter. Best $2500 I ever spent, next to my truck.
blew itself out here
 
  #410  
Old 10-21-2017, 11:52 PM
hydro man 17
hydro man 17 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hat Creek Ca
Posts: 1,910
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
" but I'm no plumber and finding the main water tap in my slab house has proven difficult."
__________________________________________________ ______________________
Sometimes the only shut off is at the meter, if you are on city water that is.
 
  #411  
Old 10-22-2017, 12:20 AM
Wesley Green's Avatar
Wesley Green
Wesley Green is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Muskogee, Ok
Posts: 1,197
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by hydro man 17 View Post
Sometimes the only shut off is at the meter, if you are on city water that is.
sounded like he was trying to find where it comes into the house from the meter to put a whole house filter/softener in
 
  #412  
Old 10-22-2017, 06:40 AM
Tugly's Avatar
Tugly
Tugly is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia River
Posts: 18,278
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
{ahem}.... In my previous life, I was a water treatment systems designer (I did the engineering, but I don't have a degree and an engineer had to sign off on it).


All too often, the pipe goes from the meter and either under the slab, or sometimes into the slab. The best remedy for an under-slab main line is to find where the main in-house shutoff is. The next-best option is to find where the pipe is likely to split off for the first time (like maybe the hot water heater) and punch a hole in the slab to get access to the pipe before it splits. Many older home have galvanized pipe, so you would be forced to dig a large hole to allow for cutting and fit compression couplers over the open ends.




This allows you to adapt to the new pipe you intend to use for your softener - like CPVC. The drain will be your bane... you need to run a drain tube through a gap device into the sewer somewhere near the softener.



I can't stress this one enough, because it's a very common mistake by DIYers. If you run the softener drain tube straight into the sewer without an air gap, it's feasible there would be no break in the contact with the contents in the "black pipe". Little microbial swimmers would then have a gangplank to hop onboard your softener.
 
  #413  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:35 AM
Glowplugger
Glowplugger is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central OK
Posts: 768
Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.Glowplugger has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
{ahem}.... In my previous life, I was a water treatment systems designer (I did the engineering, but I don't have a degree and an engineer had to sign off on it).


All too often, the pipe goes from the meter and either under the slab, or sometimes into the slab. The best remedy for an under-slab main line is to find where the main in-house shutoff is. The next-best option is to find where the pipe is likely to split off for the first time (like maybe the hot water heater) and punch a hole in the slab to get access to the pipe before it splits. Many older home have galvanized pipe, so you would be forced to dig a large hole to allow for cutting and fit compression couplers over the open ends.




This allows you to adapt to the new pipe you intend to use for your softener - like CPVC. The drain will be your bane... you need to run a drain tube through a gap device into the sewer somewhere near the softener.



I can't stress this one enough, because it's a very common mistake by DIYers. If you run the softener drain tube straight into the sewer without an air gap, it's feasible there would be no break in the contact with the contents in the "black pipe". Little microbial swimmers would then have a gangplank to hop onboard your softener.

Dadgum Rich! Is there nothing you can't do? This isn't the first time I wished i lived nextdoor to you!

Ok, for reference...This isn't my place, but one laid out similar. The way it's lined up everything I found online said I should be looking in the wash room for the main line to cut into (draw a line from tap to house, shortest route) but it's not there. My only other option is the water heater.

But the online references all say "They won't go under the slab or through the garage, that cost too much money!"

The internet lies. I think we should tell someone.

 
  #414  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:55 AM
empiretc's Avatar
empiretc
empiretc is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,138
empiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Glowplugger View Post

The internet lies. I think we should tell someone.



You can't lie on the internet!


 
  #415  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:33 AM
SaintITC
SaintITC is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Springfield, PA
Posts: 1,419
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
Where's your water meter?
 
  #416  
Old 10-22-2017, 06:14 PM
z31freakify's Avatar
z31freakify
z31freakify is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico
Posts: 6,609
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Unrelated but thought it was funny

 
  #417  
Old 10-23-2017, 03:03 AM
Wesley Green's Avatar
Wesley Green
Wesley Green is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Muskogee, Ok
Posts: 1,197
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
I know from past surveys my water comes from the meter, and it goes to the corner of the garage, and the water heater is on the opposite corner of the garage; and the drain from the laundry room has an awful bend in it that goes under the garage and toward my main sewer line cleanout in front of my house

On an unrelated note, I caught a hiccup/stumble on the way home last night at about 10mph
 
  #418  
Old 10-23-2017, 07:04 AM
Tugly's Avatar
Tugly
Tugly is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia River
Posts: 18,278
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Glowplugger View Post
Dadgum Rich! Is there nothing you can't do? This isn't the first time I wished i lived nextdoor to you!

Ok, for reference...This isn't my place, but one laid out similar. The way it's lined up everything I found online said I should be looking in the wash room for the main line to cut into (draw a line from tap to house, shortest route) but it's not there. My only other option is the water heater.

But the online references all say "They won't go under the slab or through the garage, that cost too much money!"....
I get bored easy, and my wife teases me a lot about it as she goes into song "I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king..."


Here in Winterfell (the North), they bury our water lines 3 feet... and they bury them 6 feet in colder locations - to keep them from freezing. In recent years, all water service to homes are plastic pipe - like Pex. I don't know about OK, but is it possible the home is old enough to have metal pipe, and if so - can you rent a metal detector to find where it enters the house? You never know, they may have buried metallic tape above the pipe to find it with a metal detector.




As for the IPR hiccup, that could be the early warning sign of a "noisy" throttle position sensor. You may want to get some electrical contact cleaner and shoot it on the TPS.
 
  #419  
Old 10-23-2017, 10:30 AM
Wesley Green's Avatar
Wesley Green
Wesley Green is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Muskogee, Ok
Posts: 1,197
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Lucky me, checked the icp plug today in daylight, has oil in it, time to order a new MoCo one
 
  #420  
Old 10-23-2017, 10:31 AM
Sous's Avatar
Sous
Sous is offline
Moderator
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Hartwell, GA
Posts: 8,466
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Well, at least it is very easy to replace. Also, the new one will have a shiny silver base to it and add to the "bling factor" of the engine bay.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.