Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Old 10-04-2017, 06:46 AM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
I'll definatly make sure my wife doesn't see your post. Amazing how a remodeled kitchen can be "perfect" when we closed on the house, and a few hours later i hear about how its completely awful and needs gutted while i was moving in the first boxes... 13 years later it's still capable of producing good food
I was working in the yard one time when an older gentlemen stopped by and said "looks good out there". I told him thanks, but there was still a lot more to do. He said "there always will be, unless you sell it or burn it to the ground". He smiled and said goodbye.

I still laugh at that to this day.

Good morning fellas.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:08 AM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
He said "there always will be, unless you sell it or burn it to the ground". He smiled and said goodbye.

I still laugh at that to this day.
shoot that just leaves you with a blank canvas to do it right the first time

Old 10-04-2017, 07:33 AM
sunuvabug
Elder User
sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
shoot that just leaves you with a blank canvas to do it right the first time
There isn't such a thing. Even with a blank canvas, you'll always look back and in hindsight say ... "we should have done this differently ... or I wish we had of done that differently" ...

Old 10-04-2017, 07:46 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
Thanks, guys. That really is the "before" pic, Stew. It all looks OK in the pictures, but those cabinets and doors are about 35 years old, and the finish is literally gunky in places. You just can't really see it unless you get up close and personal with them, like we did every day!

What drove the whole face lift project was some oven cleaner which drizzled out of the bottom oven across the front of that drawer underneath it, and it left a grayed stripe 1/2" wide from top to bottom after removing all of the stain and varnish (Can you spell "last straw"?). The cabinets' appearance only held up as long as it did because my wife is meticulous and rigid about keeping them regularly cleaned and rubbed with Liquid Gold.

I also have to credit my wife with most of the work since she is hammering at it throughout most days while I'm at work. She has also stripped and completely refinished about 9 other pieces of furniture this year as well as staining and finishing our kitchen table and its 6 Windsor chairs after paying someone else to strip those.

When I was shopping for our doors and drawer fronts, I was very tempted to order from one of the Amish shops, but I found the place in Arizona where they were actually using tighter tolerances with faster delivery and lower prices. Our granite tops and cabinet boxes were in decent enough shape to where all I needed to do was reface them. Otherwise, I would have built the new case parts myself. I wish I could have sprayed the inside of the cabinets, too, but that was just too much to tackle in the middle of everything else.

Hopefully, I'll be able to take the "after" pictures this weekend, because all that's left is mounting the doors and drawer fronts.
REALLY nice work! I have done plenty of refinishing of window sills, cabinets, tables, etc...I know the work and skill it takes.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:48 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Mornin' fellas....coffee is especially good this morning. The good news is that it is 32* and the truck started right up this morning without being plugged in! Mission accomplished.

One day closer to no work and at least some play. Happy humpday everyone!

Old 10-04-2017, 10:37 AM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Morning all! I went through the box of SS braided lines last night and took a couple of "actual" pics. The first one is the bagged parts showing the part numbers from EGR. The second picture is a close up of the hose ends so you can get an idea of their quality. The rubber stress shoulders at each hose end are solid rubber and firmly attached. Personally, I'm pleased with what I got from them. You can see that the mounting brackets are not thin stamped junk, by any means.

Just in case no one can see the pictures, the part numbers are as follows (I bought this kit about 5-7 years ago, so I'm assuming that the same numbers apply today):
Front brake lines - EGR-004, 9327
Rear brake lines - EGR-028, 11491
Differential brake line - EGR-018, 9724

NOTE, though, that these part numbers are for a leveled 2WD only (not lifted), and not all the part numbers may not be applicable for a 4WD, and even if they are applicable, they will certainly not be long enough if your truck has much lift to it. A quick call to EGR, though, will get you in touch and they can specify the exact part numbers which apply to your situation.

ALSO note that when I bought my kit, the "complete" kit did not include the short braided hose at the differential, so I purchased that one separately. I noticed that they only show 3-hose kits on their website now, but I have no doubt that still offer all five hoses for our truck... you just have to call and talk to them.

Attached Images   
Old 10-05-2017, 05:47 AM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Morning. Brewing a thermos of coffee today. Yay clothing change days. See ya in 14 hrs

Old 10-05-2017, 08:04 AM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
For those who don't understand paper machine talk, Wes, your post almost sounds like TMI (the clothing part, that is). I'm sure that you're deep into it by now anyway, so by the time you read this, I hope you had a safe and productive day at the mill.

For those who don't know about the "clothing" Wes is referring to, paper machines have huge "fabrics" on the wet end of the paper machine table, in the press section, and in the dryer sections of the machine. It is on these "fabrics" where the pulp slurry gets transformed into a wet sheet and then supported through the pressing and drying stages of papermaking until the sheet is dry and strong enough to support itself through the process. These fabrics wear out and have to be changed periodically. It's a really big task which consumes a full day's work for a big crew of folks because it also gives the crews a chance to clean out major components on the paper machine which have been running (hopefully non-stop) for a while.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to a well done YouTube video (13 minutes) of the entire papermaking process (from Sappi Paper Company). When the video gets to the paper machine (about 4 minutes into the video), you can see the sheet flow path through the machine and where some of the fabrics are being run. Just for context, the machine in this video is a newer and larger machine than a lot of others which are running throughout the US, and it is focused on a particular printing grade of paper. There are some unique differences to the machine and paper making processes when other grades of paper are made (unbleached packaging paper for bags and boxes, food-grade papers or "boards" for milk carton and juice boxes and paper cups/plates, etc.).

Old 10-05-2017, 08:14 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
I always love insight into industrial processes. Very cool! Thanks for explaining because I would have had no idea! LOL!!

Mornin' fellas...Texas Pecan Coffee and feeding horses...not a bad way to start the day. FINALLY getting to see a film tonight that is dedicated towards my life and career choice. I am a little giddy. I have been waiting for this film to come to a town close enough for us to travel to and see. It's here!

DOWN THE FENCE

Old 10-05-2017, 08:29 AM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
Thanks for posting Pete. What with Wes being an Okie, a whole lotta old stereotypes were running through my mind ...

Old 10-05-2017, 09:02 AM
F250_
Post Fiend
Listen, I can talk for hours about the pulp and paper industry. The actual name of by BS degree from NC State is "Pulp and Paper Technology", and was developed by customizing their Chemical Engineering program specifically for the pulp and paper industry. I've been in this business now for over 30 years, the first 20 in manufacturing and the last 11 in consulting. It's a fascinating industry even though it has a really bad reputation for being "stinky places" which do nothing but consume trees in massive quantities.

OK... I can't resist this one additional tidbit... Due to the reforestation programs which have been aggressively pursued by all paper companies for many decades, there is now more forested land than there was back in the early 20th century.

Oh... and one more... Dioxin... there is more dioxin generated and released to the environment from all the cattle farms in this country than all the paper mills combined. The EPA regulation enacted in 2000 (to drastically reduce dioxin releases to the environment from paper mills) was so burdensome from a capital investment perspective that over 90 paper mills in the US had to shut down. And get this, too, the huge scientific study used by the EPA to develop the regs ended up being declared "unreliable" in 1998... by the people who did the study, no less. Thank you EPA for pushing more US jobs overseas!!

Allright... I'll stop now.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:29 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
God I hate the EPA....so.much more damage than help has ever come from them.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:39 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
Well, I just settled up with our auto insurance company a little while ago. Our youngest daughter got her license this summer and bought herself a '06 4Runner SR5 in excellent condition, but with highway mileage at about 225K. She has loved that vehicle. However, she just had her first accident three days ago (no one hurt at all), and the insurance company declared a total loss (diagonal front corner impact going through a red light). After her $500 deductible, she's getting $9444, but she only paid $7000 for the vehicle back in July. The only expense we've had has been new wiper blades.

The only downside, if you can call it that, is that with the recent storms and flooding here in the south, used car prices have really started climbing, and the 4Runners seem to be selling faster than before. It looks like I'll still be able to get her into a '07, and maybe an '08, and at the same time get back down in the 150-175K mileage range. She told me last night that she wants another 4Runner, or perhaps something even larger! She is officially a confirmed convert to my own philosophy of driving a large, heavy vehicle with a higher than typical seating position so she can stay further away from (and above) a typical impact zone!

All in all, we are very, very fortunate... and extremely grateful for God's grace and mercy!

Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2017, 03:17 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Glad everyone was okay.

My wife loves her 2010 Jeep Liberty but if we're all going somewhere we take my truck for that very reason. Plenty of room to stretch out, I can see over traffic, it will definitely hurt them more than it will hurt me, and I have a 7'+ crumple zone in the back (if you count the bumper too).

Last month commuting home some kid decided to slam on his brakes and attempt an illegal merge over a solid line as we approached a median. I layed into the binders and was going to make the stop and avoid contact when *wham* I was pushed forward into the SUV in front of me (said kid making the illegal maneuver).

Pictures of how I fared during the collision. I drove away and their Corolla was hauled away...

Attached Images   
Old 10-05-2017, 04:32 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
That reminds me of when a 16yo kid rear ended me in my old '76 wide track Cherokee Chief. His front end looked much like the one in your picture and it was completely disabled, but it only cracked my chrome bumper at the mounting bracket and barely bent it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.