Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Old 01-24-2019, 05:12 PM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Hmm. Clutch pictures/journey/updates here or start a thread? I know Sousy is drooling for an update

Old 01-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
Hmm. Clutch pictures/journey/updates here or start a thread? I know Sousy is drooling for an update
Create a new thread with the appropriate title.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:19 PM
ZachinCO
Senior User
ZachinCO is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
It got down to 35F last night at my place and I think I saw two small clouds. I actually put on a light jacket this morning to go to work.
When my mother in law goes back to San Diego from CO, she freezes when it's in the 60s!

Old 01-24-2019, 05:21 PM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Bonanza35 View Post
You know I have solar on my trailer but have yet to figure out how to hook up the inverter for the 15amp/120volt yet. Do you have any good reading about it? I was given a 2500 inverter. Mine seems to work great for the solar, would like to run the TV for the wife without the generator working.
It really all depends on how far you want to go with hooking up the inverter. You will need properly sized lugs and wire, then safely install the inverter in a fashion that when you are running the trailer off the inverter, your converter is not on. Also have to consider the fridge. If it is auto switching between gas and electric, you want to isolate the 120v feed to it so that it does not jump to the inverter.

PM me if you have specific questions or concerns. I learned from Google, YouTube and past experience.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:11 PM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
I run the fridge off propane unless I have shore power. Your right, I didn't consider that. I never looked it up on YouTube I'll give it a try. My son says to run the generator every night for a couple hours to charge the batteries but he doesn't have solar and I never did that before he said so. Never had a problem either.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:32 AM
Sous
Bonanza35

If you have a well functioning solar setup on the camper, the generator only comes into play during periods of cloudy weather. Even in partial shade if the panels are wired in parallel the charge controller will do a decent job of charging the batteries.

All of this is dependent on your Ah battery capacity, how you plan to use the inverter in terms of draw from the batteries and the auxiliary equipment being in the proper state. Like the fridge for example. We used to have a fridge that we could manually select gas, electric or auto switching. With our new to us camper, the fridge is auto only. So, I had to isolate that 120v circuit and put it on a dedicated breaker so that I could shut the 120v feed off to the fridge to trick it into using gas, even when on the inverter which is providing 120v power to the camper.

The converter needs to be off for obvious reasons when on the inveter though.

We have a small 2500 watt suitcase style generator that we will be taking with us on our adventures. The only time I plan to use it is when we need to run the A/C for the dogs or if we have had a couple of days of clouds and rain. That is only if the 4 6v batteries have been drained enough over the cloudy period that they need a charge.

Every system is different, just like every truck here is different. Every camper owner uses their setup differently, just like every truck owner here uses their truck differently. Saying that you should run your generator every night for a couple of hours might be right for your situation, but I am willing to bet it is not. It is hard to say without knowing more about the trailer and what it has on board in regard to solar panel output capacity, battery voltages and capacity, daily power consumption, type of charge controller, gauge of wire between devices, generator output capacity, etc...

It gets confusing quick. I took a good month to sort everything out on ours. I would work on it until I got frustrated with the math or the configuration conflicts and then walk away from it until the next day.

I am willing to help you with advice and a second look if you need it though. PM me anything specific you would like help with and we can go from there. This is a process, not just a switch that you turn on and it is done. Well, you could pay someone to do the install for you, but that is thousands of dollars to do.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:28 PM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
Thank you Sous. I really know nothing about this. I bought the trailer last year from a couple who had it a while. The panel is pretty wide up top is all I know. He only had two $400.oo batteries in the compartment that are one year old. They are 12 volt instead of 6. But so far it has worked great. We went for a week over Thanks Giving and only ran the gen once or twice for my wife to watch TV. Our fridge does have the three setting and I have been putting it on propane and it works great. I'll let you know more when I get a chance to look in to it more. God bless,

Chet

Old 01-26-2019, 01:40 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Kia swaybar replacement...a little bit of improvement

Name:  IMG_20190126_121444.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  2.03 MB

Old 01-26-2019, 02:46 PM
Sous
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Kia swaybar replacement...a little bit of improvement
The KIA should handle a lot better now. Not like a Corvette, but based on the difference of the bars, it should be a lot better.

As for my solar and camper upgrade/improvement adventures...

I just finished installing 1" thick foam board on the interior side of the camper basement storage panels. I had them all out in order to make it easier to run wires and so I could "silence" the 12 volt water pump. I also put non-fiberglass (made of volcanic rock) insulation which is fire resistant, water resistant and has great sound deadening properties in the under belly and between the tanks when I had the plastic weather guard off when I was installing the SeeLevel tank monitoring system.

I tested the inverter remote on/off switch today and IT WORKS!

So, that is 2 out of 4 major electronic upgrades tested and good to go so far.

Still have to install the better outdoor shower, install a 15 Amp outdoor outlet that will be hardwired to the inverter for us to plug into for simulated shore power, secure the battery boxes to the frame and then make a mount for the generator to ride in.

Almost done! The end is in sight!

Then, I will be pulling the truck into the garage and doing a few more upgrades and tweaks to it. I have an idea for the parking brake that may cost zero dollars and very little time to make it work right every time. If that fails, I will take the route of replacing 100% of the parts without removing the hubs thanks to IDI-Charlie.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:19 PM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Well thar'z yer problem

Whats missing here?

Duh, the grease

Will update thread after i satisfy the chef's request for me to be present. And abide by our no electronics at the table rule

Old 01-26-2019, 09:06 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Looks great guys! I think you will both be able to add to the skills thread!!

I'm tackling my overloads bright and early....I am not even going to wait for it to get warm....so 35* and 10 mph winds turning to 25-30 by noon. I hope I can finish before then.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:28 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
I spent the day welding my buddy’s truck frame where it rusted out. Trying to weld under the cab with limited space sucks to say the least. The PO coated the frame with bed liner, what a royal PITA that was to get off. In tight places that I couldn’t hit with a wheel made welding difficult and the welder would not weld through the stuff either. Both frame rails were bad but the brackets worked fairly well.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:44 PM
ZachinCO
Senior User
ZachinCO is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Since beef was mentioned in BBslider001 thread about leaving the frozen tundra, here's what I had happen yesterday.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:39 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Awesome, is that a set of twins? If so are they frequent?

We're right about freezing temp here today with light snow all day, supposed to accumulate 2-5", we shall see. Then come's an arctic blast, I'll get to test start in some new low temps, BOLO for a cold start update.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ZachinCO View Post
Since beef was mentioned in BBslider001 thread about leaving the frozen tundra, here's what I had happen yesterday.

ZachinCO do you have a Freemartin or are they both bulls or heifers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.