Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 06:32 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Woo hooo!!! I totally get this excitement. You get to see how your truck tows....you get to enjyo the new trailer....you get to dream about future trips....all a great day! Looking forward to photos!!

At the dealer.

Originally Posted by Sous

Congrats! If you go up I-85 on your trip, honk at us when you go by Dad's restaurant off exit 177.
We took it to the CAT scale near Emerson after loading all accoutrements.

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I've never quite understood why they can put huge freshwater tanks on toy haulers, but they skimp badly on non-toy haulers. The fresh water capacity is one of the first things I look at when I peruse the floor plans available.

Stewart
Maybe it’s to mitigate sway. Most freshwater tanks are in front of the axles.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:15 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,132 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
Mines at the very rear of the trailer, takes weight off the pin when filled

Old 11-24-2018, 08:50 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Mines at the very rear of the trailer, takes weight off the pin when filled
Well, clearly I know absolutely NOTHING about Toyhaulers, I was spit-ballin'.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:36 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 218 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac;18324299[left

We took it to the CAT scale near Emerson after loading all accoutrements.

Really curious what your axle weights are without the TT hooked up and what kind of WD you are using. Is the GVWR on the EX 8,800 like the F-250's? My F-350 4X4 front axle weighs in at 5K and I am wondering if you need more WD as your front is only at 3,780 and you look a little nose high.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:58 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
And here I assumed they were all behind the axles because that's how mine is set up. But since this is my first trailer, I don't have a very large sample size.

Stewart

Old 11-25-2018, 05:20 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bigb56
Really curious what your axle weights are without the TT hooked up and what kind of WD you are using. Is the GVWR on the EX 8,800 like the F-250's? My F-350 4X4 front axle weighs in at 5K and I am wondering if you need more WD as your front is only at 3,780 and you look a little nose high.
I'm using this hitch. IIRC, GVWR on an Excursion is 9200.

The picture was taken before raising the ProPride hitch jacks. According to the numbers I probably should raise them even more. As of now, I'm leaning toward an Airlift system thanks @Sous .

It didn't seem "light in the front" and was not affected by winds and semis as much as the previous TT.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:02 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

The PP or Hensley i the best hitch you can buy for a bumper pull and you won't get sway, just be careful to get your distribution correct as that hitch tows so well it can mask an improper setup. In case you didn't know you can call Sean at ProPride to ask questions about your setup, he is amazingly helpful.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:12 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I'm using this hitch. IIRC, GVWR on an Excursion is 9200.

The picture was taken before raising the ProPride hitch jacks. According to the numbers I probably should raise them even more. As of now, I'm leaning toward an Airlift system thanks @Sous .

It didn't seem "light in the front" and was not affected by winds and semis as much as the previous TT.
I don't think you are sitting that low. The only thing I will say about airbags, speaking from personal experience, is to be careful with a bumper pull. They affect the way the WDH will handle and it is a B***** to get set up properly. With the hitch set up just right, you shouldn't need them.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:12 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

I don't think you are sitting that low. The only thing I will say about airbags, speaking from personal experience, is to be careful with a bumper pull. They affect the way the WDH will handle and it is a B***** to get set up properly. With the hitch set up just right, you shouldn't need them.
Agree ^^^. From what I have researched, the common wisdom with WD is to restore most, if not all of the front axle weight while getting the trailer dead level at the same time.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:42 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
The PP or Hensley i the best hitch you can buy for a bumper pull and you won't get sway, just be careful to get your distribution correct as that hitch tows so well it can mask an improper setup. In case you didn't know you can call Sean at ProPride to ask questions about your setup, he is amazingly helpful.
I've spoken with Sean a couple times, he's very helpful.

I'll have to find my weights from the previous TT. After I made the adjustment it handled much better. I'll do measurements (before and after) of both front and rear wheels next time I hook him up. I have already purchased a bag of 66 airtabs to install. Since this TT isn't a LITE model it handles the winds much better (IMHO). I went ahead with the airtabs idea for my trips to the Prairie each Autumn.

Agree ^^^. From what I have researched, the common wisdom with WD is to restore most, if not all of the front axle weight while getting the trailer dead level at the same time.
The trailer is level, I probably need to run the jacks up another inch.

Thanks for all the insight, guys.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:25 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts
Since we’re talking ProPride here...there were a couple of times this summer where I just couldn’t get the stinger into the socket. Everything was aligned and level, but something would jam and the whole shebang would skew sideways and I’d have to try again. Once in July I must have taken 12-15 tries over 45 minutes before it finally worked. I think it’s the sharp-ish edge of the stinger getting jammed into the side of the socket and catching. I decided to do something about it finally...

Before

After!

I’ll get it painted up and ready to go for the spring. It’ll be then when I find out if my PP mod works.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:45 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
WTF

Originally Posted by ArmyLifer
Since we’re talking ProPride here...there were a couple of times this summer where I just couldn’t get the stinger into the socket. Everything was aligned and level, but something would jam and the whole shebang would skew sideways and I’d have to try again. Once in July I must have taken 12-15 tries over 45 minutes before it finally worked. I think it’s the sharp-ish edge of the stinger getting jammed into the side of the socket and catching. I decided to do something about it finally...

Before

After!

I’ll get it painted up and ready to go for the spring. It’ll be then when I find out if my PP mod works.
Wow, I have NEVER taken that many stabs.

At a trailer hook up.

I picked up a lightly used unit in Charlotte on a tip from our fellow Excursion brother @ExxWhy . One of the best acquisitions I've ever made.

I measure (the middle of the receiver) and try to align as best as possible. I know you're a smart guy, you may have found a new trick.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:27 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
An idiot decided to poach himself a deer practically in my front yard last night. I live in a rural area but we have a cluster of 5 houses right here and we all heard it. Then when I went out there he was crying about how he needed it to feed his fat, lazy self. He was about 5' 9" and #250 or so. Claimed he's on disability too, how was he going to load it up then? Into his new Subaru too, I told him to sell his $@!% car and go to the grocery store. Called a friend who came and got the deer. And the police didn't seem to want to be bothered, they never even came out.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:30 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Damn, it’s crisp this morning at 12*. Supposed to be low 60’s by midweek. Got some stuff coming for the truck looking like the weather will cooperate for installation. Thursday, looks like I may be going to DC for a meeting and of course forecast is for snow on the weekend.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:46 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Curious if any of you have removed/ replaced your badges. Faded to the point you cant read the Lariat part of mine anymore and they are an eyesore to me every time i get in. Are they just adhesive, or small threaded studs?
The 'F' badges on the front quarter panels and the tailgate have 2 holes for guide pins. The 'Powerstroke' door badges are just adhesive.

Mine also started to look like garbage as the chrome finish started to fade and flake off. I removed them and replaced them with the '05-'07 style chrome badges. They look better against my Toreador Read paint and, surprisingly, they were cheaper than the '02-'03 7.3L replacements.

Unfortunately it looks like the vendor I bought mine from years ago is not longer around (it was something like fordemblems.com or similar). I think I paid a little under $300 shipped for a full "set" (2 quarter panel badges, 2 door badges, and 1 tailgate badge).

The easiest way I have found to remove badges is a little heat (either a heat gun or a little while in direct sunlight will do in a pinch) and some fishing line, then clean up any residue with rubbing alcohol and finish with a little waterless car wash (Meguiar's or your brand of choice).

Fun fact: I used to get compliments on my truck ("its' a 7.3L? Nice truck") and approving nods from others, but since I've been sporting the 6.0L badges for the last few years I get disapproving stares and no friendly nods...not even from the 6.0L trucks . Maybe they spot the 2nd generation (coil fronts) badges on a 1st generation (leaf fronts) truck .

I'll just leave this here

https://youtu.be/L_AY8bH3vxY
I've always had a soft spot for a rebuilt flathead V8.

5:33 - I know exactly what that look feels like!

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***