Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Old 09-21-2017, 08:27 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Employment... my company has no problem with providing jobs. We have a problem with employees providing skills, good work ethics, and just plain being a decent human being. Cell phone bans, "production cameras" to discourage sabotage, security cameras in the lunchroom and parking lot to curb theft and vandalism of fellow employee property... all of these practices are necessary in our little corner of "society".
It's unfortunate. It seems like people are looking for any opportunity to maximize their return on little to no investment of time or money. And it isn't just out in public. I've had to deal with it in secure areas (monitored by cameras and routine patrols).

After spending 24+ years in the military I've seen it everywhere. On a secure military base I've seen cars broken into. I've also had stuff stolen out of berthing (sleeping) areas. I've even had stuff stolen out my office before. It's just sad that you can't trust people to be decent.

I remember the days where you could leave everything unlocked and nobody thought twice about it. Don't think those days are ever coming back.

Originally Posted by Sous View Post
I deleted my comment because I could not word it in a way that did not make me sound like a complete *******.
I didn't see your comment but I'm sure I agreed with it.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:29 AM
IDI-Charlie
Posting Guru
IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.
Morning everyone! Been awhile since I have poked my head in here, but for a decent reason. I'm switching jobs again and have a lady friend (not use to this much change in one sitting)!

At first I won't be posting in here much due to getting use to second shift and getting tools found/bought. But know I haven't forgotten yall! This diesel mechanic will always come back to these here roots!

(Especially since all of yall helped me out a bit to get the job too).

Old 09-21-2017, 08:30 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
...and Mile Marker premium hub replacement. I'd like to just keep the stock ones, but the passenger side is getting impossible to turn and I understand it cannot be greased?
Have you used guzzle's cleaning procedure (Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page)? I cleaned mine every year and they worked great until I installed the Dynatrac. I am a frequent off-roader and 4wd definitely gets a workout. I never had to replace one and they gave me 282K miles without issue until I retired them.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:40 AM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
Good morning all.... I decided to join in and bring up one of my other passions, The Mercedes Benz diesel. The older Benz diesels found in the 240s and 300s are awesome and the chassis design of the 124 was light years ahead of other car makers. I have a 1987 300 Turbodiesel that I bought 20 years ago, still going strong. It has the 6 cyl OM 603, esay peasy to work on, handles beautifully and gets high 20's for MPG. Theses cars are comparable to our trucks in terms of durability and reliability, except they are a lot easier to work on in most cases.

I am always on the lookout for a pristine model, missed out on this one but I'll share the thread of the lucky guy that got it. And a four speed to boot!! I would have loved to get it . Picked up a beautiful Euro 300d from its original owner - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Old 09-21-2017, 08:49 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
Have you used guzzle's cleaning procedure (Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page)? I cleaned mine every year and they worked great until I installed the Dynatrac. I am a frequent off-roader and 4wd definitely gets a workout. I never had to replace one and they gave me 282K miles without issue until I retired them.
I didn't even know that existed Brian! Thanks. I'll check it out and put it to use. I really don't want new hubs. I don't use 4x4 enough to justify it, but definitely need it when I need it.
The only thing is I am not sure if mine are autolock. I have the floor shifter, so I believe they are entirely manual. Do you guys have any idea?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
I didn't even know that existed Brian! Thanks. I'll check it out and put it to use. I really don't want new hubs. I don't use 4x4 enough to justify it, but definitely need it when I need it.
The only thing is I am not sure if mine are autolock. I have the floor shifter, so I believe they are entirely manual. Do you guys have any idea?
My parts truck has a floor shifter and they are manual only. If you go under the hood you can look to see if there is a solenoid for them up near the passenger's side battery. It would have a hose leading from the vacuum tank to it. Sorry but I have not able to find a picture of it.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:57 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
My parts truck has a floor shifter and they are manual only. If you go under the hood you can look to see if there is a solenoid for them up near the passenger's side battery. It would have a hose leading from the vacuum tank to it. Sorry but I have not able to find a picture of it.
Yeah I don't have that solenoid. I am guessing the cleaning and relubing procedure still applies. I'll give it a shot before buying anything. I'll have enough $$ into hubs, rotors, and pads for now.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:28 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
Yeah I don't have that solenoid. I am guessing the cleaning and relubing procedure still applies. I'll give it a shot before buying anything. I'll have enough $$ into hubs, rotors, and pads for now.
I know the OEM locking hubs don't have the street cred or cool factor of the aftermarket names like Mile Marker, Warn, Dynatrac, etc., but the do work. I've broken a lot of stuff on my truck during my off-pavement exploits (including leaf springs and ripping off a nerf bar) but have never had an issue with my locking hubs. It takes me awhile to get through it but I'd rather spend some time at a workbench than at the Ford dealership. A couple of hours in my garage with a beer is a lot cheaper than swiping my bank card at the parts counter.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:35 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
"Employment... my company has no problem with providing jobs. We have a problem with employees providing skills, good work ethics, and just plain being a decent human being."

I watched an interview with Mike Rowe (dirty jobs) recently. He had just recently spoken to a senior manager at a CAT dealership/maintenance facility. She mentioned that she had something like eight openings for positions that paid ~$125K/year and could not find any qualified applicants to fill or train for them.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:14 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
I know the OEM locking hubs don't have the street cred or cool factor of the aftermarket names like Mile Marker, Warn, Dynatrac, etc., but the do work. I've broken a lot of stuff on my truck during my off-pavement exploits (including leaf springs and ripping off a nerf bar) but have never had an issue with my locking hubs. It takes me awhile to get through it but I'd rather spend some time at a workbench than at the Ford dealership. A couple of hours in my garage with a beer is a lot cheaper than swiping my bank card at the parts counter.
Yeah, I always fix my own stuff...but if they are unfixable, aftermarket are literally half the OEM, and no plastic.

Originally Posted by hydro man 17 View Post
"Employment... my company has no problem with providing jobs. We have a problem with employees providing skills, good work ethics, and just plain being a decent human being."

I watched an interview with Mike Rowe (dirty jobs) recently. He had just recently spoken to a senior manager at a CAT dealership/maintenance facility. She mentioned that she had something like eight openings for positions that paid ~$125K/year and could not find any qualified applicants to fill or train for them.
What?! Where? I would love to work for CAT. Wonder if he was posturing for the show just a bit?

Old 09-21-2017, 04:52 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
BB
I believe that the CAT dealer that he was speaking of was in Phoenix or somewhere nearby. And no, it was not just posturing for the show.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:32 AM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
We are seeing the same thing in engineering. For the last 10+ years, there have been more retirements and deaths in engineering than graduates from college, so there is a continuously increasing shortage of engineering professionals in the US. In our office, just in my Staff group, there are 7 of us who are permanent employees, and 5 of those seven have more than 30 years experience. The other two have something like 4 and 7 years each. Our work load, though, has us in a position where we've also hired 5 additional retirees on a contract basis. We have NO mid-career engineers at all, and cannot seem to even get resumes of people who are even remotely qualified with that level of experience!

Old 09-22-2017, 06:54 AM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
F250, I can't claim to know any of the reasons for this, whether it's been a lack of interest on the part of younger folks, due to limited exposure or the "draw" of the prospect of initially higher salaries in business type degrees, or whether it's driven by some of the newer industries popping up these days.

I work for a "start-ip" and even though we only have one product, requiring lots of engineering and licensing support, our engineering and R&D staff have been reduced greatly. Our product is by no means finished, we have many service issues, but the focus of the company is business and marketing. I say start-up in quotes because that's how our marketing teams advertise is, even though we've been in business almost 8 years.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:10 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Theory alert! If you have a student wanting to go into engineering, the engineering field has diversified into so many niches, I wonder if it has spread the butter too thin. A large percentage of those who might have taken up structural or electrical engineering in the past may very well have decided the future is in robotics. Also... a large percentage of those inclined to take up engineering may have gone into computer science. There is only so much percentage of a population capable of an engineering intellect, and they have way too many directions to take.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:24 AM
Keabler
Senior User
Keabler is starting off with a positive reputation.
After the army I got my degree in construction management and mechanical engineering. Engineers made nothing compared to project managers. Now I run my own construction company, but I also have a hard time finding employees with common sense and a work ethic. I either get one or the other unless I hire older people. Now My company has lots of old people complaining about their joints and back, grumpy and gassy all the time, but working their butts off. Lol. Good trade off. They are all reliable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *******The Official Superduty Morning Coffee thread*******

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.