Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Beware Autozone chat...clueless

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 06:58 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I currently have Poop Boys, Advance Auto and two NAPA stores at my disposal with an Autozoo in the pipeline (probably be a couple of years). Poop Boys are closest (for now) and NAPA is close behind. It looks to me like NAPA has the best quality and best selection of grades of quality on things like brake shoes and miscellaneous other parts. On things like electrical connectors I have found their quality above the others. They also have professional parts people at the counter who are able to help me out. Advance Auto's service is horrific and it looks like they hire drug addicts. I know there's one of them around but I can't find them, oh, he's out front smoking a cigarette, he'll be right in.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:18 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I usually shop at Advance here in Hartwell, but I know exactly where I am going in the store and do not ask for help. They honor a military discount of 10% as well, so there is always that.

O'Riely's is very bad... More of a hang out for people strung out on something, including the employees.

AutoZone is good, but it is the next town over. Although, we have an AutoZone distribution center there too, which the store is actually on the same property. So, if you need something that is out of stock, they can get it from the distribution center within a short time.

Napa, they just opened a big store in Hartwell, which I have not been to yet. They used to be in an old part of town and the store was not in a good spot in regards to ease of access. I will have to give the new store a shot, maybe when I get my supplies for the 2 LOW in reverse mod coming up soon...

Old 08-16-2017, 07:51 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
It's OK. They're not any more helpful if you walk into the store. They opened one near enough to me (12 miles) that it made it the cheapest option close by. I needed an oil filter for the kids 6.0. I had to argue with the clerk weather it made a difference on it being 2wd or 4wd. I finally said, fine just give me one of each in the motorcraft brand.

They came back with a fram filter and said that oddly enough both 6.0 engines used the same oil filter, and that's the first time they had ever seen that. When I said I asked for Motorcraft, they tried to tell me how much better Fram was.

I don't shop there anymore. I'll either pay the mark up from the local place, or drive the extra miles to go somewhere else.
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Or if it's an xl,xlt, or Lariat pathetic
Originally Posted by F350-6
Tell them it's the Eddie Bauer edition. When they say that's not an option, say well, that's what I have. You figure it out.
I simply cannot believe some of these stories, but then I think "wait, this is exactly what happened to me....I guess i am not crazy" I avoid them like the plague and Napa isn't much better these days.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:15 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
I started shopping at our local jobber warehouse years ago. I live near the main store and it is huge. You walk in and there is a whole row of professionals lined up, each with their own work station, like at the bank. They are fast and have yet to have anything be out of stock. They get me genuine Motorcraft parts for the PSD with no BS "lifetime" warranty on junk parts like the big box stores. It saves me time and money to get the correct, good quality part the first time, and it is a pleasure to deal with real pros.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:46 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
Here's a link to a local article about the AutoZone employee that was fired:

AutoZone employee fired after taking action against ?Fake Beard Bandit? | WTKR.com

I usually go to O'Reilly Auto Parts. The employees are friendly and there are a few that actually know what they're talking about.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:59 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Just die quietly and don't ask too many questions. C'mon man, we're paying ya 8 bucks an hour! Sheesh.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:56 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
My most recent DUH moment from an auto parts clerk was at Advance Auto. I was looking for a battery vent tube adapter (new non-OEM AGM battery in the rear hatch subfloor of my wife's RX450h) and the guy behind the counter said, "What is a battery vent tube?"

Old 08-16-2017, 10:44 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
In a slight defense of the 6.0 oil filter fiasco, if the kid is looking for the part number using the computer, it's the search program that wants all those questions answered before it gives up an answer.

Some folks will know what's irrelevant and simply enter anything to quickly get to the oil filter answer. But if you were to then ask for something else, that is dependent upon 4x4 or auto trans or XLT, he'd have to start over.

I generally distrust all automotive stores and service centers entirely, and use whatever has the best prices. Autozone frequently gives me $20 coupons after buying oil and other such things. Also, they accept used motor oil without question or limits.

The local Poop Boys will only take it with a recent receipt showing oil purchase, and even then only 5 qts at a time. Yeah, I'd had the 4gal receipt from the prior weekend, and they would only accept one. I left the others in the shopping cart and never went back.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:52 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Autozone frequently gives me $20 coupons after buying oil and other such things. Also, they accept used motor oil without question or limits.

I've received JACK and $%^& from my O'Reilly Auto Parts membership.

All they do is send me spam offers like: Free XS mechanic's gloves with a $120 purchase of Monroe struts or shocks!

Oh well...

Also, I've never had any trouble dropping off oil at auto parts stores in general. They just let me dump it in the back. I wonder if the limit is a local thing? OK doesn't even have safety or smog inspections for vehicles. Perhaps it's related.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:11 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
In a slight defense of the 6.0 oil filter fiasco, if the kid is looking for the part number using the computer, it's the search program that wants all those questions answered before it gives up an answer.

Some folks will know what's irrelevant and simply enter anything to quickly get to the oil filter answer. But if you were to then ask for something else, that is dependent upon 4x4 or auto trans or XLT, he'd have to start over.

I generally distrust all automotive stores and service centers entirely, and use whatever has the best prices. Autozone frequently gives me $20 coupons after buying oil and other such things. Also, they accept used motor oil without question or limits.

The local Poop Boys will only take it with a recent receipt showing oil purchase, and even then only 5 qts at a time. Yeah, I'd had the 4gal receipt from the prior weekend, and they would only accept one. I left the others in the shopping cart and never went back.
Unless it's something new my Poop Boys just asks me to sign a sheet for dropping off oil and they take my bucket and dump it out. I think that there is a limit on a sign somewhere but they don't enforce it. And I don't really sign the sheet, I just make it look good. When they have a haz-mat disaster I don't want my name on the list.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:26 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the oil drop off was a local limit by the store manager, since PA state law says that any service facility that sells oil must also accept it, same with all other fluids. Although good luck finding a place to take radiator juice. When I did my rad flush I sat on it for over a year until I made it to my township's annual hazardous material drop off weekend.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Here in north GA I walk in with a 5 gallon bucket full of oil, tell the fellas at the counter I am there for oil drop off and know where it is at. I dump the oil in the bin and walk out saying thanks.

No paperwork, no questions, no nothing...

As for antifreeze, when I changed to ELC I found a local shop that would take the used stuff. I dropped off about 8 gallons of antifreeze and said have a nice day.

I like north GA more and more everyday.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:38 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Although good luck finding a place to take radiator juice. When I did my rad flush I sat on it for over a year until I made it to my township's annual hazardous material drop off weekend.

x2

I've disposed of coolant at my community's hazmat weekend before. Now that my wife and I are living in a new city I need to take coolant to the local recycling center. Only problem is that since I live in the county I can't use their services. So, either I have to get a water bill from one of my friends or I have to dispose of it some other way.

Currently, I'm sitting on 2 or 3 gallons of coolant from my Oldsmobile. I want to change the coolant in my 86 f250 too but I need to get rid of this stuff first. I've considered putting the open coolant bottles in the bed of my truck when I drive to work but...

Old 08-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
I think the oil drop off was a local limit by the store manager, since PA state law says that any service facility that sells oil must also accept it, same with all other fluids.
Do they charge a fee?

Old 08-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Although good luck finding a place to take radiator juice. When I did my rad flush I sat on it for over a year until I made it to my township's annual hazardous material drop off weekend.
For those connected to a city municipal water treatment facility, pouring it down the toilet is, believe it or not, the environmentally friendly way of disposal. Spills should be removed completely from driveways or garage because pets and critters find it sweet tasting, though it is poison.

Quick Reply: Beware Autozone chat...clueless