how to wire a 94 f-350 and 83 slide in camper - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

how to wire a 94 f-350 and 83 slide in camper

Old 08-11-2017, 05:00 PM
New User

garywolfer2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
how to wire a 94 f-350 and 83 slide in camper

I just bought a camper for my old truck so I can camp and pull my boat. I have a stock 7 blade plug in the back for pulling a trailer I put a 4 prong adapter for my boat trailer now I want to put a battery in the camper It has an old converter No charger and switch to go from battery to 110v I plugged it in and refer works on electric. It was not able to connect to 12v but has a 4 prong round plug so I fed a hot wire directly from a truck battery to the plug and the interior lights came on as well as a fan on a furnace and the water pump ran but pumped no water with water in the holding tank. Water does work when hose is attached, no hot water heater so only cold. Ok with that. No marker lights outside. I do not need tail lights or turn and brake lights because it is only 8' and truck lights show.

I want to add a battery and charge it with accessory hot wire from the 7 pin plug at the back bumper. I bought a double male plug and replaced the female plug at the back of the truck with a 7+4 pin connector. I intend to plug the 4 plug inline connector to the back of the truck and run a 8' double male cord to a 7 wire female plug on the camper. How do I connect the battery in the camper to the hot wire fron the 7 pin plug and is 10 gage wire ok and how do I deal with the ground side of the battery. I just want to charge the house battery when the truck is running and I will carry a battery charger if I am camped at a campground if battery gets low. The inside and marker light wires are all red and green so I do not know which is which without testing each set of wires with the battery. Do I need a separate hot wire for lights and water pump and heater fan? (12v side)

It has an out of production 15 amp converter that does not charge a battery but has a switch from battery to shore power and another switch outside the cabinet that does same I assume it is for 12v side. How many hot wires do I need for marker lights and interior and water pump and heater fan? There is a 15w breaker box and a power plug beside the converter There are two 3 wire residential wires coming into the breaker box (12-2) black,white and copper ground one set goes to 110 plug in that the converter plugs into the other goes into the wall not traced yet but probably to refer. Sorry for the long post but wanted to give all the info I could. I need help.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Post Fiend

RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by garywolfer2 View Post
I just bought a camper for my old truck so I can camp and pull my boat. I have a stock 7 blade plug in the back for pulling a trailer I put a 4 prong adapter for my boat trailer now I want to put a battery in the camper It has an old converter No charger and switch to go from battery to 110v I plugged it in and refer works on electric. It was not able to connect to 12v but has a 4 prong round plug so I fed a hot wire directly from a truck battery to the plug and the interior lights came on as well as a fan on a furnace and the water pump ran but pumped no water with water in the holding tank. Water does work when hose is attached, no hot water heater so only cold. Ok with that. No marker lights outside. I do not need tail lights or turn and brake lights because it is only 8' and truck lights show.

This is not drawing a lot of response, as I am a little lost, so first of all, let me ask why not just used the existing 7 pin for your single power source? Can you tell me about the power converter? I have never seen one that will not also charge the battery, when they are working? My guess is it is not in working order.

I want to add a battery and charge it with accessory hot wire from the 7 pin plug at the back bumper. I bought a double male plug and replaced the female plug at the back of the truck with a 7+4 pin connector. I intend to plug the 4 plug inline connector to the back of the truck and run a 8' double male cord to a 7 wire female plug on the camper. How do I connect the battery in the camper to the hot wire fron the 7 pin plug and is 10 gage wire ok and how do I deal with the ground side of the battery. I just want to charge the house battery when the truck is running and I will carry a battery charger if I am camped at a campground if battery gets low. The inside and marker light wires are all red and green so I do not know which is which without testing each set of wires with the battery. Do I need a separate hot wire for lights and water pump and heater fan? (12v side)

The 10 ga should handle the load as it will be minimal with what you are describing, but I am lost with the rest of this. Is there any chance you can shoot us a couple of pictures of what you have? I would really like to see what converter is in place as they can always be updated and that might solve many of your issues in a simpler fashion.

It has an out of production 15 amp converter that does not charge a battery but has a switch from battery to shore power and another switch outside the cabinet that does same I assume it is for 12v side. How many hot wires do I need for marker lights and interior and water pump and heater fan? There is a 15w breaker box and a power plug beside the converter There are two 3 wire residential wires coming into the breaker box (12-2) black,white and copper ground one set goes to 110 plug in that the converter plugs into the other goes into the wall not traced yet but probably to refer. Sorry for the long post but wanted to give all the info I could. I need help.
I will be glad to try to help you work through this, but don't want to start guessing.

Steve
Old 08-12-2017, 04:29 PM
New User

Old 08-12-2017, 05:07 PM
New User

First time I have added photos here please excuse quality and size. The breaker box contains one 15 amp breaker with one black lead on top of breaker and two black below on left side to other side of breaker The black wire in ine end of the breaker is from the left 12-2 wire coming into the panel the two at the other end of the breaker are one black from the other 12-2 and the one tied to it is going to the plug in between the breaker box and the converter. there is a white and ground both coming from the plug in to the breaker panel near the bottom with the other two white wires and there are 4 ground copper wires one of each 12-2 and one from the plug in box. The plug in box is where the converter gets its power. There appears to be three wires coming out of the bottom of the converter a red one a white one and a blue one. The red one is not connected to anything the blue one is connected to a white one the white wire coming out of the converter is connected to a black one both connected wires from the converter are routed into the wall above the breaker box. when plugged into shore power only the refer is working so I assume one of the 12-2 goes to shore power and the other goes to fridge. The red one that is not connected must go to lights and water pump and furnace fan because they only work on battery power so far.

When 120 VAC is connected to Converter via commercial power of RV generator, Converter—via its
Automatic Relay—is instantly switched into the circuit to convert the 120 VAC to 12 VDC to run 12 volt
lights and motors in RV.
( MODEL 3215—Utilizes Manual Switch in top panel of Converter-in place of Automatic Relay. Put
This switch in “CONV” position to convert 120 VAC to 12 VDC.
Equipment limited to operation from pure 12 volt battery power—including 12 volt TV’s, radios, stereos,
unfiltered fluorescent lights—must be connected directly into RV storage battery line, or equipped with
filter—as Converters do not produce the “pure” 12 volt DC needed by these items.) This 3215 is obsolete and will not charge the battery you have to manually switch from converter to battery to change power source.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:16 PM
New User

I am sorry I know that probably did not help you. The manual says the green wires are ground and the black wires are for power to cab lights and side marker lights. I am not sure but there is a #10 purple wire that came from the old 12v plug that I hooked into with power fromthe truck battery and ran the water pump inside lights and furnace fan. I just hope to disconnect 12v power from the truck battery so I do not drain truck batterys and draw power to charge a 3rd battery for the camper by drawing power from auxiliary power from the trailer 7 wire plug at the back bumper of truck so house battery is only charged when the ignition switch is on and truck is running. If I need charging and I am at shore power I will carry a charger with me. I bought a new 7 wire female plug for the back bumper (it also has a 4+5 connector built in I will plug my boat into that)and a 8' double ended male and a female on the camper so I can draw power for interior lights water pump and furnace fan and another line for marker lights and cab lights. Hope that makes sense.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Post Fiend

RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Thank you for posting the pictures.

Before going too far, how much do you want to modify? For example, is a new converter that is capable of charging the battery in the works, or is that something you do not want to consider.

I am not sure how much of a project you want to make out of this. Using a small converter capable of charging the battery would eliminate the need for a battery charger, but if this is just something you want to use once in a while for hunting, you may be looking for the cheapest work around possible.

Steve
Old 08-12-2017, 09:55 PM
New User

I appreciate your help. I have been working on for a few days now tracing wires. previous owners cobbled the wiring. The truck 7 wire plug wires were not code either. I had an orange wire for accessory wire instead of black, yellow wire for left turn and brake green right turn and brake green. It had a rubber cover over the black that was molded to the wires and the wires had a metal end on each one that would not come out of the rubber boot so I fnished putting it in yesterday and today I put together the 8' cord with male plugs on each end. Then I cut a hole in the overhang on the drivers side just behind the 120 AC plug. Both in bottom of a closet. I just wired all 7 wires on both ends in case I decided to add tail and brake lights later. Tomorrow I will screw a plastic battery case to the floor of the truck bed ahead of the wheel well. There is a cabinet door there. I will put a rubber mat in the bottom so the screws don't rub on the battery. Not sure what to do about negative post to ground. I am just going to use #10 positive wire from 7 pin female plug to battery and another one for water pump and another for furnace fan and another one for overhead lights. I will run them in a loom I still have to trace all of them down. I will run them to the battery I do not trust the old converter so will look for one to replace it and maybe an isolator. maybe an inline charger that I can keep plugged in while not using the truck.
I need a couple truck batteries or a starter too it has been turning over slow lately and is a IDI diesel. in a 94 crew cab. I am retired so it will take a while. I live on the Oregon Coast and have an offshore 20' boat and live in a Motorhome on a private lot walking distance from the ocean. but motorhome is 40' long not the best to launch a boat with. I want to fish up and down the coast and it would be a pain to take all the cables wires and slide down in the motorhome to drive a hundred miles or so to fish in another river. I had to have an old truck big enough to pull the boat anyway so I bought an old cheap camper to camp in when we wanted to fish other places. My wife and I like to crab and fish alot so now we can still camp and have our motorhome as a home base.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Post Fiend

Here are few thoughts. When I worked on any RV with multiple issues, I broke the task into sections and often spend more time in the planning than in the execution.

It seems to me your tasks are relatively straight forward. Start with the task you understand the best. For example, your 7 pin on the truck will have two tasks. You will want to carry current from the charge lead to the battery you will have in the camper and used the ground pin from the seven pin for the same. That will give you a viable battery charging circuit when your engine is running. From the battery, you can run to your appliances and lights by any number of ways, fusing all circuits of course.

For your running lights, you can pick those up on your seven pin and needing a ground you can run to the battery in the camper which in turn in grounding to the truck seven pin. The lights will only be on when the pin is hot and the battery will only charge when the truck is running. You can simply wire all the grounds together thereby establishing a simple buss as is done in some RVs.

Then, as you suggested you can use a battery charger on the battery in the camper when until you obtain a power converter.

I would suggest as you work you use a meter to check continuity in any loom you design as well as voltage as you do your circuits. You should only need three wires off your seven pin, a charge lead, a lead for the marker lights, and a ground.

Are we somewhat one the same page?

Steve
Old 08-13-2017, 06:38 PM
New User

I just came in Steve I did everything you just mentioned. I have 3 wires to the 7 pin connection now mounted under the overhang on drivers side. I put a battery in a plastic battery box and screwed it down to the bed there is an opening cabinet below the sink that is exposed to the bed. I had a piece of plastic cutting board to cover the screws holding the battery box down so they did not rub on the battery. I have two hot wires to the house battery now one to the overhead lights and water pump and furnace fan all together. In #12 wire. I tied all the ground wires together except a #12 ground wire to the ground at the 7 pin and put disconnects on all the battery wires for when I take the camper off. I have not tried the ac yet but it only ran the fridge anyway. Now the only reason I need ac power is to recharge the battery. I can run fridge on propane. I will only be out a couple days at a time anyway.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:11 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywolfer2 View Post
I just came in Steve I did everything you just mentioned. I have 3 wires to the 7 pin connection now mounted under the overhang on drivers side. I put a battery in a plastic battery box and screwed it down to the bed there is an opening cabinet below the sink that is exposed to the bed. I had a piece of plastic cutting board to cover the screws holding the battery box down so they did not rub on the battery. I have two hot wires to the house battery now one to the overhead lights and water pump and furnace fan all together. In #12 wire. I tied all the ground wires together except a #12 ground wire to the ground at the 7 pin and put disconnects on all the battery wires for when I take the camper off. I have not tried the ac yet but it only ran the fridge anyway. Now the only reason I need ac power is to recharge the battery. I can run fridge on propane. I will only be out a couple days at a time anyway.
sounds to me like you have made good progress.

Steve
Old 08-14-2017, 11:26 PM
New User

Thanks for your help steve. I am low income so I have to do many things myself thank God for forums like this one and u-tube videos.