King Ranch SRW 6.7l test drive - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017 Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

King Ranch SRW 6.7l test drive

Old 08-11-2017, 03:56 AM
New User

dhawken is starting off with a positive reputation.
King Ranch SRW 6.7l test drive

Well, I bit the bullet and took a test drive of a King Ranch 6.7 turbo. Fairly decently optioned up, probably close to how I'd build one with a few exceptions. Some of my dislikes are with the options, so nothing to complain about there. Couple surprises and couple questions. I've gotten a lot of good info from here, so wanted to give back my experiences, hopefully get some feedback on my thoughts, and maybe recommendations from you guys!

Background is I'm a longtime GM guy, but currently driving an 07 Tundra crewmax. My wife and I absolutely love the Tundra, and would drive it into the ground or get a new one in a heartbeat if a 1/2 ton was our target. However, we're wanting to upgrade our travel trailer to larger or a 5th wheel, so looking at more payload. This will also be a semi daily driver and family stuff hauler.

I immediately started looking at 3/4 tons and test drove a 2016 chev 2500HD crew cab in gas and diesel. We weren't enamoured with the interior (particularly the back seat) and I wasn't enamoured with the power of the gasser. Diesel was acceptable. I have not tried a 2017 diesel - that will be next. I also wasn't that happy with the payload on it - we're not wanting to spend max $$, but we'll be getting some options on the thing and combined with a crewcab, the resultant door sticker payload didn't seem to justify the move.

Consequently, I moved up to looking at 1 tons. Very interested in the door stickers on these things to see how the options I like affect payload, and haven't had much (any) success in figuring that out without seeing an actual vehicle. Trying to find a similarly equipped 3500HD silverado or sierra has been like pulling teeth in my local area, so haven't tried that out yet.

After watching the latest Iron Cobra video on the new F350 dualie, I started to contemplate the Ford (in SRW though). Found a King Ranch right down the street and took it for a 24 hour test drive.

The first thing that I didn't like was the payload. The dealer told me over the phone that the payload was 3920, off the door sticker. I didn't really look at all the options on it online, but when I got there, its got most options, including the FX offroad package and sunroof, so now I'm wondering how the payload can be that high. Check the door sticker, and its 3450. Not impressed with the dealer, but that crap happens. However, my question for you guys is how much does the FX package add to weight? I don't need it (don't think anyways). I liked the sunroof though, so maybe I'm not going to get as close to 4000 as I'd like given the options I think i want.

I didn't like the rear seat fold down (or lack thereof specifically). When folded down, you can't really put stuff behind the seat or on top of the folded down seat. I can do the mod on the 60 side to get a latch, but I'm used to putting things both behind and on top of folded down rear seats. Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways, but I'm wondering where all your normal "behind the seat" stuff goes. If I put it in the bin under the seats, then I don't have a large, flat area to put stuff into the back seat. Does everyone just get a toolbox in the bed?

I was surprised to not really like the massaging seats. Maybe you gotta get used to it, or be on a long drive where you really need it. I'd consider not getting that option if ordering one, but if any of you have feedback, I'd love to hear it.

Anyways, on to the good:
- loved the back seat comfort and amenities. Other than the aforementioned storage question, it's on par with the Toyota, which IMO is the highest praise we can give. I've followed the GM forum wars on effectiveness of rear vents, but I want them! Heated rear seats, lotsa room, great power options back there.
- really impressed with the ride. I would not have guessed 1 ton based on that. Washboard shakes things loose worse than 1/2 ton, but that's 100% to be expected. I think i could daily drive this thing easily.
- cabin noise level is awesome. I kinda found myself wishing I could hear the diesel better. Rolled my windows down at a couple lights and mashed it, just to get my fix.
- mirrors are great. These things will be stellar when it's time to tow.
- I'm an old man step convert - handy!
- adaptive cruise control - I'm a convert to that now too.

One thing i did find missing was front parking sensors. Is that an available option? Would trade FX package for upfitter switches and front parking sensors if possible.

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text but appreciative for the space and any feedback. Not sure which direction we'll go, but I am very impressed with this vehicle.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:46 AM
Elder User

RJC2 has a good reputation on FTE.RJC2 has a good reputation on FTE.RJC2 has a good reputation on FTE.
Well, it looks like you've done a pretty extensive test drive. I guess the one thing I'd comment about is the seat massage feature. On a trip, I had been in the saddle for a few hours and getting pretty uncomfortable when my wife suggested I try it for the first time. It did help relieve the discomfort and I used it on and off for the entire trip. However, I too wasn't impressed with it when using it on a short drive.

I don't know if your drive included and time after dark, but the LED headlights are really impressive. Very bright white light, and the auto dim feature has worked flawlessly for me.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:59 AM
New User

Large is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your rear seats fold down?

Mine fold up and there are storage bins under them.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:00 AM
New User

That's great feedback on the seats - thank you! That's pretty much the exact scenario my wife and I believed they would be beneficial but tough to reproduce on a test drive.

The test was the 24 hour variety, which is very awesome. We were concerned with the ride, so being able to exercise the thing on the roads we'll be driving on every day was a definite plus. I actually remembered on the way to return the thing that I didn't drive it at night to test any of that - thanks for the info on that part.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:04 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Your rear seats fold down?

Mine fold up and there are storage bins under them.
The rear seats were the 60/40 split ones - the 40 side folds down with a little pull strap - the jack and a little space is behind there. For the 60 side, you have to do some crazy machinations with your hand behind the seat to lower it, but there's just the (giant) amp behind there and no space for anything else.

More concerning to us was that it's obviously not designed to be lowered and have cargo placed on the back. These also fold up to get to the bin underneath, but I'm trying to figure out where to keep all the crap I normally carry around - if I use the bin, then I'll be unable to flatten the bin to have a place to put cargo in there.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:12 AM
Elder User

RJC2 has a good reputation on FTE.RJC2 has a good reputation on FTE.RJC2 has a good reputation on FTE.
I bought a kit that provides a strap for the 60% side so I can fold it down just like the other side. There's little to no room for anything back there, however, I like to be able to clean it.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:19 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC2 View Post
I bought a kit that provides a strap for the 60% side so I can fold it down just like the other side. There's little to no room for anything back there, however, I like to be able to clean it.
I saw that kit - would probably get that as well just for the cleaning. Would not want to put anything around that amp - it was damn hot once I finally figured out getting the seat down.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:20 AM
New User

FishRanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
If I could find a KR single rear wheel with close to 4k payload it would be in my garage tonight. I need about 3900 or more just to have a little cushion for our fifth wheel. It's not going to happen, at least the ones I have seen won't, so a dually is my only option. We have a 15 dually Denali and it is a pleasure to drive going down the highway with the fifth wheel in tow. Once parked and out sight seeing, not so enjoyable. Most folks will tell you that you will get used to driving a dually and I kind of have. I just park in the back of whatever lot and avoid most drive thru's.

I want to test drive a KR dually but haven't had the chance. We did look at one yesterday but didn't have time to drive it. The wife gave it a good look and after we left asked me when we could get one. That was my green light to proceed but there is nothing more in the world that I hate than working with car dealers. I may just try to sell the GMC which would make the buying part so much easier. Anyway, she really liked the white gold which is probably what I will try to find.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:21 AM
Post Fiend

troverman is a name known to alltroverman is a name known to alltroverman is a name known to alltroverman is a name known to alltroverman is a name known to alltroverman is a name known to all
Thanks for your review. Front parking sensors are not available on the 2017 Super Duty. But of course you can get the front camera which is actually more effective.

The FX4 is kind of a dumb package just like the Z71 is on the GM trucks. On the Ford, you get a couple of flimsy skidplates, Hill Descent Control (which apparently can be retrofitted for about $10), horrible "Rancho-Branded" shocks which routinely fail (the standard shocks fail, too), goofy looking stickers on the bed sides, and the locking rear differential if you haven't already optioned for it. It's not going to change the weight factor much, since the skids are either plastic or lightweight aluminum.

The moonroof is awesome. Also, make sure you get LED headlights. I don't think they are standard on the King Ranch. These are very quiet trucks inside and that is what makes them so relaxing to drive on long trips.

Definitely make sure you try a 2017 GM HD with the new L5P Duramax. Its a very impressive engine and will likely feel quicker than the Ford. It is also a quiet engine, like the Ford. Unfortunately, GM offers very few of the great options Ford offers even in a Denali trim. Just a standard sunroof, no adaptive cruise, no full LED lighting, not even rear vents, etc. In fact, the rear vents are fairly effective.

Good luck.

PS - I just keep the collapsible bins in the up position. Super Duty trucks have long had the bins under the rear seats and they make an awesome storage area. I keep straps, chains, flashlights, first aid kit, you name it under there. Nice and neat.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:31 AM
Posting Guru

shortride has a good reputation on FTE.shortride has a good reputation on FTE.
I suppose some drivers like them but I wasn't overly impressed with the massaging seats in my F-250 Super Duty Platinum my self. I still feel like there are a few features on these trucks that I could easily do without. I'm convinced that a lot of truck owners have become lazy and spoiled with some of the bell and whistles.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Posting Guru

2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRanger View Post
If I could find a KR single rear wheel with close to 4k payload it would be in my garage tonight. I need about 3900 or more just to have a little cushion for our fifth wheel...
With a 3900# payload need and wanting a loaded truck (same scenario as I had), you should consider a dually. I ended up with an F450 KR ultimate, which I am enjoying every day. It tows great, turns sharp, gets 15.5 MPH empty, has a 4653# payload, and after getting used to it for a week, is easy to drive.

Sadly, only the Ram 3500 SRW has a fully loaded 4x4 diesel with a 3900+ lb payload. I didn't want a Ram after test driving it.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Freshman User

A&Pmech is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm also a GM convert. I chose to get an F250 because I wanted the huge back seat area for my 3 kids. GM just doesn't cater to the backseat. I'm very happy with my truck. The power of the 6.7 is awesome. If room behind the backseat is important to you you may wanna take a look at the RAM mega cab. The extra room is behind the seat which wasn't what I was looking for but sounds idea for you. I must warn you though after I test drove the RAM it had to go to service because it developed a loud knocking noise coming from under the truck. In afraid that RAM may not be the most reliable trucks.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:40 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&Pmech View Post
I'm also a GM convert. I chose to get an F250 because I wanted the huge back seat area for my 3 kids. GM just doesn't cater to the backseat. I'm very happy with my truck. The power of the 6.7 is awesome. If room behind the backseat is important to you you may wanna take a look at the RAM mega cab. The extra room is behind the seat which wasn't what I was looking for but sounds idea for you. I must warn you though after I test drove the RAM it had to go to service because it developed a loud knocking noise coming from under the truck. In afraid that RAM may not be the most reliable trucks.
I really like the back seat in the Ford, and completely agree on the GM. I want to like it, but it doesn't even feel on par with a 2007 Tundra. When you hear about things like usb ports and vents missing, I start to feel like the rear seat has been ignored by GM a little.

I should probably go look at the Dodge simply for due diligence, but I've never been a fan for some reason. I've got friends/family that are GM or Ford proponents, and while each camp will give me crap if i go with the other one, both have had Dodge's and don't recommend them (family functions were tough for a while after the Tundra purchase!). I don't think anyone has tried a newer Ram though - the features and reviews on the new Ford got me to test that out though, so I should keep an open mind. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-11-2017, 10:07 AM
New User

DRKBC is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am pretty much in the same boat, I have owned 3 GM trucks (2500 or 3500's) and we are on our second Tundra. My wife's truck is the Tundra but I require a larger payload and towing capacity for work.

I to wanted to like the GMC but it just didn't do it for me this time around. I agree on the interior, it just didn't seem that current to me, payloads weren't that impressive and the price was about the same for what felt like to me to be less truck. In addition the option selection for the Ford truck was much better suited to my needs

I liked a lot of the work features that the ford had, like the step, tie downs, mirrors, cameras as well as the adaptive steering. The one I ordered is a 6.7, 3500 SRW Lariat, CC, long box and as we always seem to be trying to get in our out of tight spots, the visibility features where important to me. Very impressed with the rear seating area particularly when coming from a GMC double cab, and the diesel is very different than my 6 liter gas truck. I look forward to reading your comments as the process progresses. I ordered mine about a month ago, so it is still a few weeks away at this point.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:24 AM
New User

wesd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Two GM trucks (2011 & 2016) sitting in the garage, alongside a 2017 F250. No comparison on the interiors between the GM and Ford - Ford wins hands down. The size of the cab is incredible (mentioned multiple times already).

I'll give another look at GM trucks in 2020 with the coming refresh but the K2 is a good generation to skip, IMO.

EDIT: Absolutely get the LED headlights. It's a steal at $1000. I didn't, and I'm going a factory-style retrofit on my truck which is $2300. OOPS!