Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Warped Manifold Ordeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 03:43 PM
300sflyer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on the angle of some of the studs, I would bet the dealers mechanic has already compromised the cooling jackets in the head. Remove all the studs, and then do a coolant pressure test. My guess is you will have antifreeze leaking out of some of the stud holes. This is what happened to mine.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:47 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by 300sflyer
Based on the angle of some of the studs, I would bet the dealers mechanic has already compromised the cooling jackets in the head. Remove all the studs, and then do a coolant pressure test. My guess is you will have antifreeze leaking out of some of the stud holes. This is what happened to mine.
Stud threads will not hold back antifreeze, 99% of leaks are caused by drilling to deep.

Denny

Old 08-14-2017, 04:14 PM
300sflyer
Senior User
Originally Posted by rvpuller
Stud threads will not hold back antifreeze, 99% of leaks are caused by drilling to deep.

Denny
That was not the case with mine. The mechanic doing the work allowed the drill bit to wander off centre, and I then had multiple coolant leaks. Mine are the 3-valve heads, but I doubt that makes any difference. There wasn't much material between the threads and the cooling jackets.

The only way to tell for sure, is to remove the studs and perform a pressure test.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:21 PM
Lance990
Mountain Pass
Your heads are not ruined, all you need is a Time -Sert kit and a drilling block so they can be drilled out straight taped and a insert installed on the holes that need it.

Put a SS washer on the stud and reuse the manifold, they only torque to 20 ft-lbs so a little material missing in the hole is no big deal.

This is what a tapping or drilling block looks like, it forces you to drill or tap straight.

Denny

Can you do this with heads on the truck?

Old 08-14-2017, 05:45 PM
rvpuller
I no longer have a V10 but I do have a 4.6 that is the same family that I did the right side on a few months ago, I bought it with a leaky manifold couple of years ago, if it would of had a problem like yours yes I would have used a insert or bigger stud. As far as the manifold I just leveled it out like I explained before and it works just fine using the Fel-Pro gaskets. I had to drill and tap one stud but I know how to do it straight, the other broken stud came out with a left hand drill bit.

My was leaking because someone damaged the gasket somewhere along the line, you can see were it was damaged. When you buy something used you may as well expect problems, my 2000 DRW V10 transmission was failing when I traded it for my 2013 6.2 so someone inherited a problem. It's buyer be ware when it comes to used stuff.

Looking at your photos yours is a piece of cake compared to my F150 with a 4.6.

Denny

Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2017, 07:19 PM
Lance990
Mountain Pass
Buyer beware is true, except when there is a warranty that explicitly covers the problem. I have a truck that I can neither drive nor sell because of someone's crappy repair job. I paid $16,495 for this truck and I'm paying insurance and a monthly payment on it. It was a straightforward repair that was botched and it now worse than it was before the attempted repair. If you think I somehow deserve this, you couldn't be more wrong. The dealer needs to take responsibility for what his mechanic did. That's the right thing to do.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:38 PM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by Lance990
Buyer beware is true, except when there is a warranty that explicitly covers the problem. I have a truck that I can neither drive nor sell because of someone's crappy repair job. I paid $16,495 for this truck and I'm paying insurance and a monthly payment on it. It was a straightforward repair that was botched and it now worse than it was before the attempted repair. If you think I somehow deserve this, you couldn't be more wrong. The dealer needs to take responsibility for what his mechanic did. That's the right thing to do.
I never said you or anyone else deserves this type of poor repair but you have to wave the cost to get satisfaction over the cost to get it repaired and back on the road.

Denny

Old 08-14-2017, 08:45 PM
Lance990
Mountain Pass
You might not believe this but I have never sold a vehicle that needed a single repair done to it. I never want someone to buy something that is going to be a headache. For once, I would just like to buy a vehicle that is in as good as shape as the ones I sell. I only expect the exact same thing from anyone I buy from. If something needs to be fixed, I fix it. If you are going to offer a warranty, I expect you to honor it. That's all I'm asking and just stand by your work. I do appreciate the tips and the solutions. I'll definitely consider them.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:52 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lance990
You might not believe this but I have never sold a vehicle that needed a single repair done to it. I never want someone to buy something that is going to be a headache. For once, I would just like to buy a vehicle that is in as good as shape as the ones I sell. I only expect the exact same thing from anyone I buy from. If something needs to be fixed, I fix it. If you are going to offer a warranty, I expect you to honor it. That's all I'm asking and just stand by your work. I do appreciate the tips and the solutions. I'll definitely consider them.
i believe it: I would never sell a vehicle with a problem undisclosed. That's lying and stealing. Absolutely shameful of the guy posting above about selling a truck with a transmission about to go out. That's morally criminal.

And these people that talk about "just trade it in, they won't know til it's too late" and then we all wonder why businesses need such profit margins- to stay in business when dealing with crooks as customers.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:21 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by Im50fast
i believe it: I would never sell a vehicle with a problem undisclosed. That's lying and stealing. Absolutely shameful of the guy posting above about selling a truck with a transmission about to go out. That's morally criminal.

And these people that talk about "just trade it in, they won't know til it's too late" and then we all wonder why businesses need such profit margins- to stay in business when dealing with crooks as customers.
Anybody that buys a 13 year old truck like the one I traded in AS IS and the dealer sold it AS IS better be checking it out pretty close. Trucks have always been just another tool weather it was in my business or personal use, I've always ran them until it was no longer cost affective to repair them and then put them down the road, they were still safe to drive just very tired from use and I'm not talking about back and forth to work use.

When I bought my 03 F150 AS IS I checked it pretty close and I knew most of its problems before it left the Ford Dealer lot, but I know it wasn't a cream puff and needed a lot of TLC. Now I have a truck that would take across country except for the noisy tires the sales person though were so great.

The OP bought a truck with a warranty and it's to bad its turned out the way it did but that's what can happen when your buy from independent lots.

Denny

Old 08-15-2017, 08:26 AM
300sflyer
Senior User
The OP bought a truck with a warranty and it's to bad its turned out the way it did but that's what can happen when your buy from independent lots.

Denny
It can happen regardless whether it is an independent dealer, or from one of the well known ones. Most dealers buy from wholesale auctions.

Should an issue arise, it's how the dealer handles it that matters! In the OPs case, their efforts to repair the problem, and the offer made to release themselves from any further liability, are IMO both shameful.

IMO, it is time to turn up the heat on the dealer.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:39 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by 300sflyer
It can happen regardless whether it is an independent dealer, or from one of the well known ones.

Should an issue arise, it's how the dealer handles it that matters! In the OPs case, their efforts to repair the problem, and the offer made to release themselves from any further liability, are IMO both shameful.

IMO, it is time to turn up the heat on the dealer.
Here's the biggest problem, the dealer is in Michigan and he's in Kentucky. I agree he got the shaft but it may be hard to get anything done about it and what the expense that may be involved to get it resolved.

Denny

Old 08-15-2017, 08:52 AM
300sflyer
Senior User
Here's the biggest problem, the dealer is in Michigan and he's in Kentucky. I agree he got the shaft but it may be hard to get anything done about it and what the expense that may be involved to get it resolved.

Denny
Ultimately its up to the OP to decide on what course of action to take from here. He came here looking for advise, and I think he has gotten some good ideas from everyone.

With respect to the distances involved, with all of the modern communication tools we have at our disposal today, it really shouldn't matter. I bought my 08 truck from a independent dealer in Alberta, [I'm in Ontario 3500km away] and they still came through for me when a few issues were discovered after I bought it, and drove it home. With the price the OP paid, I would think the dealer made a fairly good profit on it, and should have room to make things right.

I know... that sounds crazy... but they don't use any salt on the roads out there, and the truck was almost rust free! I got a cheap one way flight, and drove it home in just under 2 days.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Lance990
Mountain Pass
Everyone's input and suggestions have been great. I went to a local Ford dealer that specializes in trucks and got a work estimate for replacing the heads and manifolds. They said they don't even attempt to fix damage like what is in the photos. Of course, it might be possible, but at $110/hour, it is cheaper to replace them. In fact, the price for the heads and manifolds is only $2,000 cheaper than installing a new motor. They recommend replacing the motor because it is easier. To replace the motor would be slightly more than $10k. I contacted the dealer and provided 3 options: buy it back, replace the heads and manifolds or put a new motor in it. For me, those are the only 3 things that will make this right for me. It's in his court, now. Option #1 is the smartest choice for him. He has insurance to cover any damages his shop has done. He only needs to file a claim.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:03 PM
300sflyer
Senior User
Glad to see you are turning up the heat on the dealer! Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Warped Manifold Ordeal