Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Utah 2018 HITR Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:37 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder
Even if I packed in everything I needed for food, water and supplies, and just set up a tent a 1/2 mile, or so from the road, in a heavily wooded area, I would enjoy the disconnect for those days. I would like to prepare a few meals, but have a few meals ready made, so that I didn't spend a lot of energy, time preparing food, to take away from my meditation, or just spacing out. (finding myself)
Larry had a thing he used to call Lone Riding. Was even called Lone Rider and Lone Writer for a while. I did a bit of Lone Riding and Caveman still does. After a few days out by yourself or even with a very small group it does something to some of us. Like mountain men. Some would go crazy being alone for long periods. Others thrived in it and would have no other way. Folks are just different and what some folks like, others do not. It keeps calling to me. Others might not see it the way I or some of the others I have gone with. Makes me no never mind.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
If I go camping in Kansas, I may not find center, before the mosquitoes do. If I go camping in Colorado, I may not find center before the bears do.

Mostly I want to go, in order to have enough time to sit and enjoy nature, and think about the direction I want to go with life. Don't get me wrong, life is pretty good now, but I don't enjoy my current challenges, I don't feel compelled to do better, or to learn more about my job. It's not the job, its me. No matter how much I learn, there are so many more people that are on their game and it seems to comes naturally to them. I want to be at that level, but I am not sure that this is the subject I want to be the "expert on"
I just want to have a clear head to brainstorm and come up with options, or even one good one.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
Every time I go to CO I seem to get an alone day-- My truck always breaks so I get a repair not wheelin day!

Old 03-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyJack
After a few days out by yourself or even with a very small group it does something to some of us. Like mountain men. Some would go crazy being alone for long periods.
"It's OK if you start to talk to yourself, though it's not OK if you start to have a conversation."

Old 03-12-2018, 02:12 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
You got almost all of the gotchya's knocked out of it, your alone days are going to be far and few between moving forward.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:45 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I've never really been along for a long period unless you count plowing the south 1/4 section when I was a kid. Those days were long and boring.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:03 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
Mowing hay-- Hot - lonely - and boring------- Its not talking to yourself- or having a conversation with myself-- Its the auguring that bothers me--- " Kill all humans-- we can't kill all humans-- Kill some humans- ok which ones-- I don't know you decide any human-- THat one? -- no not him---- well then who? Oh just any olld human--- that one? -- noo but you pick----- and so on.........

Old 03-13-2018, 08:07 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
I can see why you don't want to be left alone Chad.

My conversations go more like this..

My foot itches. now my arm itches, now my neck itches, I sure wish these mosquitoes would leave me alone... Ouch!!! that one hurt. Why do I come out here and spend the whole day slapping myself.. Oh yeah... Mosquitoes...

Old 03-26-2018, 03:47 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Sounds like Pat and Terry may be game for going along on this trip to Utah. I hope it works out for them.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:35 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
That would be great. The closest motel is Blanding. I think there are rooms at Bullfrog you just have a really long drive if the ferry is not running. There are family units at Hall's Crossing. They are 3 bedroom trailers with a bath and a half for rent if folks want to go in together and split the cost.

Here is a link for the trailers: https://www.lakepowell.com/lodging/family-units/

Old 03-30-2018, 09:53 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Thanks Jack, I will pass this information on. Right now, even though they showed interest, they are still probably only a 50% chance.

Dennis says he still wants to go, but it looks like a no from work, but that might change.

Del, is a maybe.

Any one else from here interested?

Old 03-31-2018, 11:03 AM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm still a strong maybe. I really want to go back, but it will depend on when we get home and if I have any money left after this summer.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:24 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by husker
I'm still a strong maybe.
A Guar-anteed, no-$fit "probably might"?

Old 04-02-2018, 08:29 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
My wife doesn't want me to drive all the way to Utah alone, so she is hoping that it works out for someone to go with me. She is even willing to let Maddie skip that week of school so that she can go with me. Maddie is kind of excited about going. Of course lots of things go into the possibility of her being able to go, so she is still a small maybe.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:23 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder
My wife doesn't want me to drive all the way to Utah alone, so she is hoping that it works out for someone to go with me. She is even willing to let Maddie skip that week of school so that she can go with me. Maddie is kind of excited about going. Of course lots of things go into the possibility of her being able to go, so she is still a small maybe.
I was just looking at pics of our first trip to Colorado and little Maddie.

Quick Reply: Utah 2018 HITR Adventure