Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

towing mirror upgrade - detailed question

Old 08-10-2017, 07:54 AM
dnewton3
Senior User
dnewton3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
towing mirror upgrade - detailed question

Guys/Gals -

I am looking at a 2017 F150 XL on the lot that is fairly decently equipped for what I want, including the max payload and towing packages. However, the dealership moron that ordered the trucks for the lot (there are three identical trucks on the lot), decided that towing mirrors were not really a big deal, even though the max payload and towing packages were spec'd. The trucks currently have powered STANDARD mirrors, but not TOWING mirrors. WHO ORDERS A TRUCK CONFIGURED FOR REAL-MAN'S TOWING AND DOES NOT SPEC THE MIRRORS????????

I've read some of the "towing mirror" threads on this site and it seems that you need a specific wire harness to coordinate with the desired mirror features. IOW, you cannot make a top-tier power-extending puddle-illuminating mirror set work with "normal" power harness. Is this right?

I don't care about power extension or puddle lights, frankly. All I want is to be able to adjust the mirrors electrically; the rest I don't mind doing by hand (extension/retraction manually and folding manually don't bother me). I don't even really care if the heated feature works. I just want to be able to angle the mirrors electrically.

Is there a combination that would work for me? Using the existing standard power mirror harness with one of the towing mirror sets?

Specifics would be great! What part numbers to look for, etc.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:14 PM
jd50i
Junior User
jd50i is starting off with a positive reputation.
You will need XL (101A)/XLT (300A/301A/302A) Trailer Tow mirror---FL3Z 17682 AC and FL3Z 17683 AC - Power mirrors w/black skull caps includes: power adjust/heat/signals/with manual fold/extend/spot lamps

You will also need to change the door harnesses to FL3Z-14631-F and FL3Z-14630-C

If you want the spot lights to work you will need
Switch----FL3Z 13D730 EA
Processor (module)---FU5Z 13C788 A
LH Dash vent trim which holds spot lamp switch----FL3Z 1504339 DB
You will also need to have your DDM and PDM programmed

You have an 8 pin connector, all of the tow mirrors have a 22 pin connector.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:15 PM
storage_man
Senior User
storage_man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by dnewton3 View Post
Guys/Gals -

I am looking at a 2017 F150 XL on the lot that is fairly decently equipped for what I want, including the max payload and towing packages. However, the dealership moron that ordered the trucks for the lot (there are three identical trucks on the lot), decided that towing mirrors were not really a big deal, even though the max payload and towing packages were spec'd. The trucks currently have powered STANDARD mirrors, but not TOWING mirrors. WHO ORDERS A TRUCK CONFIGURED FOR REAL-MAN'S TOWING AND DOES NOT SPEC THE MIRRORS????????

I've read some of the "towing mirror" threads on this site and it seems that you need a specific wire harness to coordinate with the desired mirror features. IOW, you cannot make a top-tier power-extending puddle-illuminating mirror set work with "normal" power harness. Is this right?

I don't care about power extension or puddle lights, frankly. All I want is to be able to adjust the mirrors electrically; the rest I don't mind doing by hand (extension/retraction manually and folding manually don't bother me). I don't even really care if the heated feature works. I just want to be able to angle the mirrors electrically.

Is there a combination that would work for me? Using the existing standard power mirror harness with one of the towing mirror sets?

Specifics would be great! What part numbers to look for, etc.
What your seeing in the dealer inventory is very common. I Found dozens of 2017 trucks, correct color, max tow etc that I wanted, but everyone of them did not have the trailer tow mirrors. WTF. But from what I read here, and other places, to have the Full power mirrors, you have to have the Lariat or above option. The mirrors I ordered on my 2018 XLT that is coming in some day, only have pwr upper mirror, manual lower mirror, manual fold, manual extend and LED spot lights to illuminate the ground. I'm like you, I only need the basic adjustment. I assume the mirror configurations are the same for 2017 & 2018. I thought long and hard about buying the 2017 model and then try to order the correct mirrors, but I could not get a straight story from the parts department. It seemed everybody had a different story on what is needed to order them. I gave up right there !

Old 08-10-2017, 01:57 PM
etrailerTeam
SPONSOR
etrailerTeam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
As far as a powered towing mirror that would replace your existing mirror goes, it looks like the aftermarket producers like K-Source don't have anything available.

You can go with the OEM towing mirror, but if the price makes you shoot coffee out of your nose, there are some more reasonably priced vehicle-specific manual mirrors available that would snap over the existing mirror housings. They fit well and are considerably less expensive than the OE towing mirror.

If you'd care to see more information about aftermarket towing mirrors, you can use the link I've provided below:

https://www.etrailer.com/expert-97.html

Old 08-10-2017, 02:12 PM
jd50i
Junior User
If you want aftermarket you can try these 8 pin replacement mirrors, they are plug and play. I know nothing about the quality of them.
2015-2017 Ford F150 Pickup (8-pins) Towing Power Heated Turn Signal Mirrors Top-half Chrome - SYPPO
2015-2017 Ford F150 Pickup (8-pins) Towing Power Heated Turn Signal Mirrors Black - SYPPO

Old 08-11-2017, 08:18 AM
dnewton3
Senior User
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
If you want aftermarket you can try these 8 pin replacement mirrors, they are plug and play. I know nothing about the quality of them.
2015-2017 Ford F150 Pickup (8-pins) Towing Power Heated Turn Signal Mirrors Top-half Chrome - SYPPO
2015-2017 Ford F150 Pickup (8-pins) Towing Power Heated Turn Signal Mirrors Black - SYPPO
Yes - I had viewed those yesterday.
Looks like I can have my cake and eat it too, with only a simple swap!
Don't know much of the quality; saw generally positive results with a few poo-poo comments. For that price I'm willing to take a gamble.
Those will work with the 8-pin harness in the 101A package, so it looks like I would be in business. As long as I can adjust the main mirror, I'll do the rest by hand. I don't need electric fold or electric extend; I don't change them that frequently.

Seriously, though, as a side note .... what moron orders trucks to stock the lot with the MAX TOW and MAX Payload packages, and yet does not order towing mirrors? And then sales guys wonder why most folks think they are idiots?

Old 08-11-2017, 09:12 AM
jd50i
Junior User

Seriously, though, as a side note .... what moron orders trucks to stock the lot with the MAX TOW and MAX Payload packages, and yet does not order towing mirrors? And then sales guys wonder why most folks think they are idiots?
Especially when they have to have the wiring harnesses changed to add them.

For me, I think these trucks are too big not to have power fold as an available option on any trim package. Mine won't fit in the garage without folding one mirror.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM
dnewton3
Senior User
I just discovered the next incredibly stupid sin that "moron" committed ....
There's no TBC (trailer brake controller) optioned on these trucks I'm looking at. Again, what logic does a human being lack to order the Max Tow and Max Payload packages, and not put tow mirrors or TBC on them????? For goodness sake, what was he/she thinking?

Leads me to my next question about the TBC. I don't know that it's a "must have" in terms of keeping my from buying the truck. I've lived with stand-alone brake control units for decades. Typically, the older trucks I've had offered a wire-harness to connect the aftermarket brake controller into a plastic connector under the dash. It was a nice quick way to wire up your aftermarket controller. Because these trucks do NOT have the factory TBC installed, will they have a plug-in port under the dash for the typical aftermarket control connection? (in the past, they have provided a wire harness in the glove box as part of the "tow package" that plugs into the port and wires to your controller. Do they still do that?)

Old 08-11-2017, 12:33 PM
etrailerTeam
SPONSOR
etrailerTeam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The connector you're looking for is located behind the dash. It's clipped to the back of the small cubby/coin tray just to the right of the steering wheel. To access it, you'll need to pull part of the front face of the dashboard away.

If you click the link provided below, you can find a link to a video showing exactly where the connector is located and how to access it.

https://www.etrailer.com/expert-98.html

Old 08-11-2017, 04:18 PM
JKBrad
Postmaster
JKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to all
If it doesn't have a factory TBC, it doesn't have the Max Tow Pkg.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:33 AM
leikos
Senior User
leikos is starting off with a positive reputation.
Related question for you guys - I want to swap out my Raptor mirrors for towing, but the parts guy at the dealership says they aren't plug and play, even though they have the same connector and identical features except of the power telescoping. Can anyone confirm if that's true, and if so, is it a big deal to re-pin everything to match? I can live without the power telescoping since my trailer isn't that wide - I just need the larger mirror.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:26 PM
jd50i
Junior User
There's no TBC (trailer brake controller) optioned on these trucks I'm looking at. Again, what logic does a human being lack to order the Max Tow and Max Payload packages, and not put tow mirrors or TBC on them????? For goodness sake, what was he/she thinking?

Leads me to my next question about the TBC. I don't know that it's a "must have" in terms of keeping my from buying the truck. I've lived with stand-alone brake control units for decades. Typically, the older trucks I've had offered a wire-harness to connect the aftermarket brake controller into a plastic connector under the dash. It was a nice quick way to wire up your aftermarket controller. Because these trucks do NOT have the factory TBC installed, will they have a plug-in port under the dash for the typical aftermarket control connection? (in the past, they have provided a wire harness in the glove box as part of the "tow package" that plugs into the port and wires to your controller. Do they still do that?)
I bought a Ford TBC for my 2016 for about $83 shipped. The connector is behind the pocket where it is supposed to be installed. The OEM one will plug in and snap in place of the pocket, but you need to have the truck programmed for the TBC.
A pigtail should have been in the glove box to add an aftermarket controller.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:05 PM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.
If it doesn't have the TBC, then it doesn't have the max tow package. It has a lower-level tow package. The TBC can be added fairly easily, but the other max-tow parts will be missing too.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:44 AM
Rick1231
New User
Rick1231 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tow Mirrors

I am looking for the best option for tow mirrors, I purchased a 2017 F-150 with a "Tow Package" and found this truck is far from Tow ready! I had to purchase a trailer brake controller install it and have it programed by Ford. The charge wire for the camper don't charge when the camper is hooked up I have to wire it myself and now I need to purchase Extendable tow mirrors! UGH...... OK enough ranting Are there any easy plug and play mirrors that I can order?

Old 01-16-2018, 08:32 AM
storage_man
Senior User
storage_man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Rick1231 View Post
I am looking for the best option for tow mirrors, I purchased a 2017 F-150 with a "Tow Package" and found this truck is far from Tow ready! I had to purchase a trailer brake controller install it and have it programed by Ford. The charge wire for the camper don't charge when the camper is hooked up I have to wire it myself and now I need to purchase Extendable tow mirrors! UGH...... OK enough ranting Are there any easy plug and play mirrors that I can order?
You need to look at Posts #2 and #5 of this thread. Lots of details and options.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: towing mirror upgrade - detailed question

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: