2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Who really uses their 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Warhound
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who really uses their 4x4

Does anyone really use their 4x4 if so what have you done to it? I was thinking about things like a torque doubling box like a a marlin crawler or the like.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:04 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
I do. In and out of hay field.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 AM
wfedwar
Elder User
I haven't "done" anything to the transfer case, but I do use 4x4 getting around fields. Especially hunting. I got a 4x2 Tundra stuck back there once, had to get the tractor to pull it out.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:26 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I live in the rocky hills of Southeastern Oklahoma. On two occasions I went off-road for the hell of it to see how well my 2017 Super Duty Platinum would handle the rocks and steep terrain. The truck did very well, about what I expected. Only once did I make an attempt to climb where I was fairly confident the truck could not handle and I was right. One thing I found out after returning to town was that the factory OEM Michelin tires were not intended for that terrain.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:46 AM
wfedwar
Elder User
Originally Posted by shortride
One thing I found out after returning to town was that the factory OEM Michelin tires were not intended for that terrain.
Yeah, I honestly don't see the point in the LTX A/T. Doesn't seem as good as the M/S variety in ice and rain, and no better offroad. I'm thinking about getting some LTX M/S tires next. I've liked them on other trucks.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:56 AM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't use mine very much. But, when I need it, I NEED it. Usually it's for snow and/or ice, but, when towing out of/though loose gravel or wet grass, 4WD is the difference between being on my way or calling for a tow. (Or, at the very least, messing around with makeshift traction devices that at best take a lot of time, and at worst cause damage or injury.)

Old 08-10-2017, 09:10 AM
Bugged
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use my 4x4 twice a month, every month, to get to our family cabin. The trip includes lots of varying terrain, including a half-mile long section that is essentially rock climbing over very loose and steep ground. I use both 4x4 Hi and Lo during this trip, and also need to lock the rear differential.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:17 AM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
I live in the city and use my F-350 as my daily driver. I don't use 4x4 often, but I would be in trouble if I didn't have it. :-) Where I store my RV can get very slick after a heavy rain and without 4x4, I would be stuck.

I also typically use it when I am on vacation in Colorado in some light to medium off-roading.

Personally, I wouldn't purchase a Super Duty SRW without 4x4. I believe the feature helps with resell and in my opinion doesn't take away from the ride quality.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:24 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,666 Likes on 2,739 Posts
I used 4x4 twice within the past two weeks when I couldn't go anywhere in 4x2. Once was in a sandy shoreline campsite with my 10K lb trailer connected (4 lo that time) and the other time was in a situation where the passenger rear wheel was essentially off the ground and had zero traction. Neither situation would I consider "off-road" since I was within 10' of the road.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:49 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
We get a lot of snow here in NH where I live. Getting a 6-12" storm is pretty common; sometimes we get as much as 24". 4x4 is the only thing that allows a vehicle to get around. In the spring, all the dirt roads turn to absolute mud as all that snow melts off in areas with poor drainage. 4x4 is the only thing allowing a vehicle to make it down the road. My side business takes me and the heavy equipment I'm towing with my dually up steep, narrow, rutted dirt roads. 4x4 is the only way it will make it...I've tried just rear drive. To me, 4x4 is a necessity. I've used my tractor to pull out my truck and my truck to pull out my tractor.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:10 AM
RugbyRef
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pretty much with the majority. I use it when I need it. Typically, when I'm camping or driving through snow when I head up to Chicago in the winter.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Wes Hightower
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm probably the last person that needs a 4x4 but I have it anyways. I'll take it on the beach (dry sand only) and that's about it. I work less than 3 miles from my house so in the winter when there's the occasional ice storm I'll walk to work versus putting the expensive rig in harm's way with nut job drivers.

People give me crap about not rock crawling, mud bogging etc with it but not everything we own do we maximize it's potential. My dive watch is rated to 2,000 ft but I'm sure not going that deep. My bikes can certainly bust 120 mph but that's not happening with me either. I have a M24 sniper rifle that's set up to hit targets at 1000 yds or more but I have no range longer than 300 yards to shoot at. Sometimes it's nice just to have something whether or not we ever use it.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Pwrgeek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by k7lvo
I don't use mine very much. But, when I need it, I NEED it. Usually it's for snow and/or ice, but, when towing out of/though loose gravel or wet grass, 4WD is the difference between being on my way or calling for a tow. (Or, at the very least, messing around with makeshift traction devices that at best take a lot of time, and at worst cause damage or injury.)
Good luck with that. Michelin in all their wisdom has discontinued the LTX MS in favor of the Defender LTX which has a different rubber compound. Avoid those like the plague. I've had two sets and they are both crappy on the highway. I went out of my way to get the LTX MS tires. Now the search for a good heavy duty tire for highway and light offroad begins again.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:10 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Pwrgeek
Good luck with that. Michelin in all their wisdom has discontinued the LTX MS in favor of the Defender LTX which has a different rubber compound. Avoid those like the plague. I've had two sets and they are both crappy on the highway. I went out of my way to get the LTX MS tires. Now the search for a good heavy duty tire for highway and light offroad begins again.
I'd recommend the General Grabber AT2. This tire is frequently underestimated but is actually reasonably good in the woods, quite good in snow, and lasts fairly well. I've run them on a pair of Land Rovers, and my neighbor runs them on his Silverado 2500 HD.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:17 AM
CRSFX4
Senior User
Live in the SE but we do get freak storms from time to time. Couple years back, we had a "snowpocalypse" where the weather men/women missed the forecast. Snow came down, roads turned to ice and everything went to %$#@. Hills everywhere here so roads became impassible, kids spent the night in schools, people slept at work....it was insane. Literally thousands of cars stranded on roads. I ferried several people home with my, then, 4x4 Tundra. Might only put my truck in 4x4 1 or 2 times a year......but when needed, it is generally REALLY needed.

Quick Reply: Who really uses their 4x4