Sponsored by:

Calling all 12V conversions with Manual Tranny's

Old 08-09-2017, 08:59 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Calling all 12V conversions with Manual Tranny's

Hi all,

I'm getting closer to tearing down Clifford and there's one major decision I haven't made yet...which transmission to go with (manual transmission that is). I thought I'd settled on the NV4500, but I second guessing it now.

I know there are a few folks around here running 12V's with manuals behind them, so hopefully they'll see this.

Here are my options as far as I'm concerned:

NV4500 (dodge version) - well documented, tough transmission when built correctly, tons of options out there, cheap when compared with the other two, I'd be going with the HD input shaft, bearing, and 13" clutch.

G56 - EDIT: Was put behind cummins motors, so likely an easy swap, but expensive (for some reason I had it in my head they put this behind a duramax)

ZF6-750 - a little better documented, expensive, but not terrible, totally doable with floor pan mods

NV4500 (GM version) - virtually no one is using this tranny, but the top end is a little better on the gear ratio vs the dodge version for cruising, and because no one uses them, they're cheap

The cummins swap will be with a 230hp version p-pump and I plan on using the existing transfer case with electronic controls. No engine mods planned at this time besides a timing advance from 12.5 to 16. I know for sure the output shaft for the NV4500 (in probably either configuration) can be changed out to match my transfer case. I figure (though I don't know) that the ZF6 would mate up exactly pretty easy. G56, no idea. I'll be retaining my stock tire size, ride height, and gear ratio (3.73).

So, here's what I'm wondering. For those of you who have this combination, what do you like or dislike about your setup? Any longevity issues that you've seen? How is the shift pattern inside the X with respect to the dash and console? If you tow, how does the transmission behave? Typically folks who go from a 5 speed to a 6 speed love them because the gear split is a little easier to deal with.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by EXSwap; 08-09-2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Updated the G56 Portion
Old 08-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EXSwap
Hi all,

I'm getting closer to tearing down Clifford and there's one major decision I haven't made yet...which transmission to go with (manual transmission that is). I thought I'd settled on the NV4500, but I second guessing it now.

I know there are a few folks around here running 12V's with manuals behind them, so hopefully they'll see this.

Here are my options as far as I'm concerned:

NV4500 (dodge version) - well documented, tough transmission when built correctly, tons of options out there, cheap when compared with the other two, I'd be going with the HD input shaft, bearing, and 13" clutch.

G56 - not as well documented, expensive, but doable

ZF6-750 - a little better documented, expensive, but not terrible, totally doable with floor pan mods

NV4500 (GM version) - virtually no one is using this tranny, but the top end is a little better on the gear ratio vs the dodge version for cruising, and because no one uses them, they're cheap

The cummins swap will be with a 230hp version p-pump and I plan on using the existing transfer case with electronic controls. No engine mods planned at this time besides a timing advance from 12.5 to 16. I know for sure the output shaft for the NV4500 (in probably either configuration) can be changed out to match my transfer case. I figure (though I don't know) that the ZF6 would mate up exactly pretty easy. G56, no idea. I'll be retaining my stock tire size, ride height, and gear ratio (3.73).

So, here's what I'm wondering. For those of you who have this combination, what do you like or dislike about your setup? Any longevity issues that you've seen? How is the shift pattern inside the X with respect to the dash and console? If you tow, how does the transmission behave? Typically folks who go from a 5 speed to a 6 speed love them because the gear split is a little easier to deal with.

Thanks in advance!
While I can't input regarding whether which is better for you, I can say that the reason I went with an automatic 47RH in my conversion was the fact that while most people would be willing to have a manual in a truck, perhaps not so many in the EX. I think it would hurt your resale value down the road.

there was an Ex here for sale, might still be with a manual shift, nobody bought it for at least 1 year.

I think its cool, but you never own something forever, eventually you will sell it.

Just my .02

Good luck with whatever you decide :-)

Old 08-09-2017, 09:56 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Oldguyfl
While I can't input regarding whether which is better for you, I can say that the reason I went with an automatic 47RH in my conversion was the fact that while most people would be willing to have a manual in a truck, perhaps not so many in the EX. I think it would hurt your resale value down the road.

there was an Ex here for sale, might still be with a manual shift, nobody bought it for at least 1 year.

I think its cool, but you never own something forever, eventually you will sell it.

Just my .02

Good luck with whatever you decide :-)
I've thought about that for a long time...there's a lot to be said for towing and general driveability with an automatic, along with the resale. What I got down to is I just miss having a manual and I don't think I'll ever sell Clifford. Hopefully I don't eat my own words! On the other hand, I suppose I could swap it back to an auto if I ever get tired of it.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EXSwap
I've thought about that for a long time...there's a lot to be said for towing and general driveability with an automatic, along with the resale. What I got down to is I just miss having a manual and I don't think I'll ever sell Clifford. Hopefully I don't eat my own words! On the other hand, I suppose I could swap it back to an auto if I ever get tired of it.
I like a stick too, and had I built a truck I would have went in that direction.

At the end of the day, its your Ex, build it the way you want no matter what anyone else says !!

Old 08-09-2017, 06:33 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
I have a NV4500 in mine. The jump from 3rd to 4th is my only complaint. Taller tires and 3.73's make it even worse. When just cruising, 30 mph in 3rd is fine and 40 mph in 4th is fine, but 35 mph is a pain as you are either lugging or screaming.

There is plenty of room for the shifter handle even with the cup holders open. Small bonus is it is pretty compact and doesn't require raising the trans tunnel to clear.

The ZF6 is probably the best of the light duty transmissions. If I didn't already have the NV4500 in my old Dodge I would have gone this route. The G56/NV5600 I've read are not easy to get repair parts for/expensive. I rebuilt my NV4500 (bearings/synchros) and swapped the output for a 4wd one for a couple hundred bucks.

You can stick the Dodge 271 input shaft in the Ford 273 transfer case so it matches whatever trans you use. 4wd high will work without any wiring modifications. Low range takes some rewiring to make work (which I've been too lazy to do, doh). The clocking on the NV4500 tail housing was a few degrees off from my stock auto trans, so I had to notch the crossmember a little bit.

Some day I'm going to look in to something with 6+ gears, but the NV4500 continues to do the job well enough.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:13 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol
I have a NV4500 in mine. The jump from 3rd to 4th is my only complaint. Taller tires and 3.73's make it even worse. When just cruising, 30 mph in 3rd is fine and 40 mph in 4th is fine, but 35 mph is a pain as you are either lugging or screaming.

There is plenty of room for the shifter handle even with the cup holders open. Small bonus is it is pretty compact and doesn't require raising the trans tunnel to clear.

The ZF6 is probably the best of the light duty transmissions. If I didn't already have the NV4500 in my old Dodge I would have gone this route. The G56/NV5600 I've read are not easy to get repair parts for/expensive. I rebuilt my NV4500 (bearings/synchros) and swapped the output for a 4wd one for a couple hundred bucks.

You can stick the Dodge 271 input shaft in the Ford 273 transfer case so it matches whatever trans you use. 4wd high will work without any wiring modifications. Low range takes some rewiring to make work (which I've been too lazy to do, doh). The clocking on the NV4500 tail housing was a few degrees off from my stock auto trans, so I had to notch the crossmember a little bit.

Some day I'm going to look in to something with 6+ gears, but the NV4500 continues to do the job well enough.
Thanks for the info! Good to hear the interior won't be unusable! I was a little worried about that. There is a short shift kit available for the NV4500 that reduces shifter travel by 20%. The speeds you mention are also of importance as my daily commute consists of about 1/3 at 30-40mph. That may make my decision for me. Along with that is usually some highway stop and go so having that extra gear is probably worth it. The only other nice thing about the G56 is it should bolt right up to the 12V without an $800 adapter plate like the ZF6 will require. The clutch/flywheel assembly is a bit different but south bend has a kit for it that's supposedly plug and play (the G56).