Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Balancing Daily vs Recreational Needs in a Truck

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 08-09-2017, 07:27 AM
StrikeForce
Senior User
StrikeForce is starting off with a positive reputation.

Running into a problem that I am sure most new truck buyers in the heavy duty segment struggle with. Currently have a 2010 Nissan Titan with the tow package that has been a great daily driver and recreational tow vehicle (fuel mileage isn't great but isn't terrible). The struggle here is my daily needs haven't changed but I would like to be able to tow more / tow a gooseneck equipment trailer for recreational use. This has lead me into Ford SuperDuty territory.

For a daily driver, I am sure a F-250 with the 6.2L and 3.73 gears would be perfectly suitable but when towing, I read and from my test drives, feel the 4.30 gears would be better. But, not many are around and 1/3 of the 15,000 miles I drive each year are highway so that fuel economy would start to add up over the years. Nor do I feels its worth the investment to get a new truck with a gas engine that's worse than my current gas consumer without much gain in "rated" capacity.

For a recreational vehicle, a F-350 with the 6.7L would be ideal when hauling >12,000# (would get a bigger trailer) through the hills of PA 8-10 times a year. Would plan to keep GCWR under 26,001# but that's still a big jump up from where I'm at now. There are trips I purposely avoid right now because my current load at 9750# isn't much fun the further I get from the house and I don't like beating my truck up.

Not planning to buy a second car as when paying this much for a truck I plan to use it daily just not towing daily. Just curious how some others balanced the daily / recreational needs when specifying their SuperDuty?

Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 AM
JeepPuller
Posting Guru
JeepPuller is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't tow as much weight as you plan to, but I do drive my truck daily. I have never subscribed to the "buy two vehicles because one does not get awesome fuel economy" mentality. No, I do work from home so perhaps this is why I don't fret about mpg.

I like the convenience of a truck bed and the ease at which my 250 hauls and tows what I want.

If you plan to go bigger with a TT/5th wheel, I say get the Super Duty (350 most likely) and don't look back.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:54 AM
BowtieConvert
Elder User
BowtieConvert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have an F-250 Lariat Ultimate loaded w/ the 6.7and 3.55 rear. I bought it as my "company" truck. I should have got the F-350 for the additional payload but that's another thread. I bought the truck on 11/30/16 and currently have about 23,000 miles on it. I use it to pull our gooseneck trailers to make deliveries when we need a second truck. It pulls like a freight train and is a pleasure to drive. I just made a 750 mile round trip to retrieve materials needed for a job (I suck at inventory planning) with a 4500 lb trailer and picked up about 9000 lbs of materials. It was a fairly low profile load, about 60" hi so there wasn't a lot in the wind. I can't drive 65, more like 75, so my mileage suffers a bit, but I still got 10.3 on the return trip. On the flip side, my wife and I took a trip up north a couple of weeks ago. My mileage, unencumbered, ranged from 18+ to 20.4 mpg's for the 2800 miles we drove. This is our go-to vehicle. She has a very nice SUV that sits in the garage when we go somewhere together. I don't think you can go wrong with this truck. Just be sure to get the model that will meet your current and future needs. My .02.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:01 AM
dksmith17
Senior User
dksmith17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What is the mileage difference in the 3.7 vs 4.3 gears...

maybe 1-2 MPG? (mainly on highway non towing) ??

If that is true it would not even be a factor for me.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:02 AM
JeepPuller
Posting Guru
JeepPuller is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bowtieconvert is correct about selecting the proper model/motor combination. If you are even thinking about getting a diesel go straight to the F350 (imho). The payload impact of a diesel on the F250 is significant. My payload is just over 3100, but I have the 6.2.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:04 AM
shortride
ididmyduty
shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.
I've been very pleased with my 2017 F-250 Super Duty Platinum FX4 with a 6.7 diesel and 3.55:1 gears. I just returned home from a 2100 mile vacation and got an actual fuel mileage of 17.3 at 70 MPH with no load. If I'm understanding the towing capacity information correctly for my truck, it will tow 13,600 lbs. 2017 RV &Trailer Towing Guide

I would select a truck that meets my most commonly used needs without compromising my towing requirements. Unfortunately most people I know usually under estimate their needs and try to save money verse buying what they really needed.

Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2017, 08:04 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud of
We already had the 40' toyhauler that we were using son in laws '12 F-250 6.7 to tow with. A little too much pin weight for the truck so I bought a 350 dually. Big difference in towing the heavy trailer and I like the 4 tires on the ground in the rear for stability. I use the truck as my daily driver and since I live in the country not many parking problems...lots of dually's running around here anyway. My normal driving is highway with speed limits of 55 to 70 mph and some in town at 35 mph. My current tank shows almost 600 miles and 17.2 mpg with no towing...better then what I expected for a large vehicle. Towing the 14K pound trailer I'm down to the 9.5 to 10.5 range at speeds of 62 to 65 mph. The Super Duty I have has a better build quality then the '13 F-150 Platinum that I traded in and the cab at highway speeds is not as noisy as the F-150 or my wife's Infiniti SUV...just pick the truck for your needs now and anything you may tow in the future. Dont's get stuck buying too little of a truck.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 AM
StrikeForce
Senior User
StrikeForce is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BowtieConvert View Post
I have an F-250 Lariat Ultimate loaded w/ the 6.7and 3.55 rear. I bought it as my "company" truck. I should have got the F-350 for the additional payload but that's another thread. I bought the truck on 11/30/16 and currently have about 23,000 miles on it. I use it to pull our gooseneck trailers to make deliveries when we need a second truck. It pulls like a freight train and is a pleasure to drive. I just made a 750 mile round trip to retrieve materials needed for a job (I suck at inventory planning) with a 4500 lb trailer and picked up about 9000 lbs of materials. It was a fairly low profile load, about 60" hi so there wasn't a lot in the wind. I can't drive 65, more like 75, so my mileage suffers a bit, but I still got 10.3 on the return trip. On the flip side, my wife and I took a trip up north a couple of weeks ago. My mileage, unencumbered, ranged from 18+ to 20.4 mpg's for the 2800 miles we drove. This is our go-to vehicle. She has a very nice SUV that sits in the garage when we go somewhere together. I don't think you can go wrong with this truck. Just be sure to get the model that will meet your current and future needs. My .02.
This sounds about how my usage would end up being. Random driving, then with a gooseneck hitch I have access to different trailers that could be hooked up at a moments notice. The big thing is, I only want to buy a truck once for the next 7-8 years so I was really leaning F350/6.7L because for the money they are asking I don't want to have to go back and "re-up" on the truck purchase.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:42 AM
BowtieConvert
Elder User
BowtieConvert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by StrikeForce View Post
This sounds about how my usage would end up being. Random driving, then with a gooseneck hitch I have access to different trailers that could be hooked up at a moments notice. The big thing is, I only want to buy a truck once for the next 7-8 years so I was really leaning F350/6.7L because for the money they are asking I don't want to have to go back and "re-up" on the truck purchase.
You can't go wrong there. If I could do it over I would get basically the same truck but an F-350. The only things I would change is going to a Platinum vs the Lariat Ultimate to keep the LED's, add the seat massagers, and ditch the "panaromic moon roof", which is useless to me here in the sunshine (and humidity w/ bugs) state. You may also want the ultimate tow package. I like the cameras not only for hooking up but they are also helpful in parking lots maneuvering these barges into a space. Good luck with your purchase. Oops, forgot to suggest the 5th wheel prep package. That way you already have the slots in the bed for the 5th wheel hitch to mount and a hole in the center for the gooseneck hitch. Plus you get the nifty plastic covers (pucks) for said holes.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:11 AM
WyoBull
Elder User
WyoBull is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What will be the main purpose your truck will be used? I had this same dilemma this past spring after realizing my truck did not have the payload ratings I needed to haul our truck camper.
I needed more payload but my truck is also a daily driver and the camper is on the truck maybe 30% of the time. So, after narrowing down what I needed to get to increase my payload to the appropriate level (see truck in signature), then I had to decide if I really "needed" 4.30 gears which I had in my previous truck, or just go with 3.73's.
While I really liked the 4.30's in my 2016 F250, I went with 3.73's in my new one because most of the time I am not hauling my camper and/or trailer. And, what I found was that when I am towing/hauling, the 3.73's do just fine.
Also keep in mind that any options you put on the truck will decrease the payload. That is why I went with an XLT on my new one versus the Lariat package I had on my previous truck. The XLT Premium package for me, was a nice "balance" of some of the creature comforts I wanted while still getting the payload I needed.
One thing I will suggest as you go through this process is that you go bigger that what you think you will need. Thus, I would suggest an F350 if you are thinking F250. These are just some of my thoughts from going through this situation recently.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:54 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
StrikeForce, my '07 Titan was my daily driver. I sold it recently and replaced it with a 2015 Nissan Leaf and came out on the positive side of that deal. My F-350 is just too big to be using it as a daily driver. The F-350 gets used on the weekends and for pulling my toy hauler. I'm happy with the situation, but I do miss my Titan. The 6.7L is a beast. I'm glad I got that over the 6.2L, especially when pulling over the mountain passes here in Colorado.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:17 AM
blamkin86
Junior User
blamkin86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a Titan back when they first came out in '04. I enjoyed driving it daily, and really it was way better than it should have been off road. However, for the 5-6 times per year I towed, it was awful. I went to a Duramax which I had for 10 years, then just stepped up to an F250 Superduty a couple weeks ago.

I do miss the offroad capability of the Titan, but the white-knuckle towing just was a wreck waiting to happen.

I do have a second car so, we're not in exactly the same situation. It's a tiny little convertible and the difference is ridiculous.

As to MPG difference, I guess, so what? If the titan got 19 every day and the F250 gets 15, as you said there's no justification for a second vehicle there. The $$$ just don't add up (people get too wound up about MPG - if you did the math, that's just a few hundred dollars in an entire year).

I will say, coming from my chevy (which I loved) I would never ever let my wife drive the camper/trailer combination - too dangerous and required a lot of attention. I just drove to Topeka and back from Denver with the new rig, and my wife could easily do it in the Superduty. The difference is astounding.

In the end, I'm willing to drive a bigger rig that gets worse MPG, so I can tow (and use our camper) much much easier.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:31 AM
LOWRPMTORQUE
Senior User
LOWRPMTORQUE is starting off with a positive reputation.
My vote is for a srw F350 6.7 with 3.55 gears.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:30 PM
Cabindweller
Senior User
Cabindweller is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Cabindweller is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by LOWRPMTORQUE View Post
My vote is for a srw F350 6.7 with 3.55 gears.
I am absolutely in this camp as well...

Old 08-09-2017, 05:50 PM
BigStu59
Senior User
BigStu59 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a F350 LBCC SWD and use it for a daily driver and recreational. I pull a #14k plus 5th wheel. It pulls the trailer like it's not even hooked up to the truck. I don't have a commute except to the airport once a week to fly for my work. It does well for my needs I just make sure I park it in places it will fit for the height of the truck. I always back it in when I park so I can get it out with no issues. The truck is awesome and will have it for the next 10-15 years well into my retirement for full time RVing. Go with a F350 and you will have all your bases covered.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Balancing Daily vs Recreational Needs in a Truck

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.