Did replace oil after 20k/4 years filter after 10K/2 years, my experience - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Did replace oil after 20k/4 years filter after 10K/2 years, my experience

Old 08-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Senior User

bbsitum is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did replace oil after 20k/4 years filter after 10K/2 years, my experience

I use my pickup only for work. I make like 5K per year with it. I used synthetic oil and 15k Bosch filter for experiment (Purolator). I didn't write time of oil change nor filter change but did write millage and as I know about 5K above it give me time.
So I changed oil at 120k in mid of 2013. Filter I replaced at 129K before two years. In that 4 years I add 7 liters/quarts of oil so basically replaced oil once completely and in theory should be good for 30k from primary 120K. Notice that filter should be capable per millage do 5k more. I replaced both this month at 140K.
Verdict in my case - it do NOT work. Time limit is real, not only millage. I felt much rougher driving last a few months. Replaced oil (synthetic again) and filter before 10 days and pickup engine work WOW again. First five days after replacement engine work was similar to before replacement. I guess new oil and filter needed time to clean whatsoever sludge is in engine. 10 days after replacement engine is working smooth as it get again.
So do not ignore time for filter and engine oil. I will replace both once one year from now on. Notice above I wrote "much rougher", it wasn't bad but it wasn't good aither. However bad enough to replace oil/filter once one year at all my cars and that EVEN WITH ADDING OIL PERIODICALLY TO ENGINE.
Edit and that is important. I did all time check oil color. It never was too bad, therefore I didn't change it. At day I replaced it was medium brown, not even dark brown, and per color looked good and I didn't feel any particle under finger. Bosch filter looked like new from inside when I toke it off.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Post Fiend

Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.
What I just read was abuse of the motor. 5000 miles or not.
First rule is to run the truck long enough to fully heat and drive some of the evaporative impurities out.
Adding oil in lue of change does not get rid of acids that accumulate over the long term..
Filter does not take care of them. Filter is there to stop hard particles from circulating the bearing area.
You would not do this to a 3 valve motor and get away with it.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Senior User

^^^ Pretty interesting answer. Definitely will have to google about acid aspect of oil change. To be more specific my average drive to project (I'm carpenter) is about 12 miles. So plenty time for engine to warm up. Another aspect that probably will keep in mind is I'm in MN weather. I'm aware that is better live truck then start it for only short time.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Senior User

rjent is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7 View Post
What I just read was abuse of the motor. 5000 miles or not.
First rule is to run the truck long enough to fully heat and drive some of the evaporative impurities out.
Adding oil in lue of change does not get rid of acids that accumulate over the long term..
Filter does not take care of them. Filter is there to stop hard particles from circulating the bearing area.
You would not do this to a 3 valve motor and get away with it.

Good luck.
I completely agree with this. In fact I may go on and say that some (<-operative word) damage has already been done.

JMHO
Old 08-09-2017, 05:38 PM

Beechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud of
FYI- acids in the oil are typically burned up within the first few minutes of operation....... the oil "additives' as I will call them, begin breaking down after 1,800 miles.....meaning although if you let your engine sit for longs periods in weather, that could have been a factor, there is a large host of other contaminets that were more highly prone to cause the damage...... also typical bypass type filters such as Franz, etc. are excellent and designed specifically for this purpose however they have always recommended (dating back to the 50's) changing their filter out every 30-60 days (criteria) and changing the oe filter out no less than annually.......and they filter down to 2-5 microns.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjent View Post
I completely agree with this. In fact I may go on and say that some (<-operative word) damage has already been done.

JMHO
Oil is still in shed. I/m not sure abut yours opinions. Do not make me carring that oil to test lab.
Honestly I do not see reason why some damage already is bin done. I drove only 20K at synthetic oil where is added 7L at original capacity of 6L. Filter I replaced before time. Do not see reason for damage be done. Time schedule is evidently only problem in this case and open for discusion. I'm, again, aware that engine should be bring to full operating temperature after start and I do it regulary.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Senior User

On Holiday is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the experiment however I wouldn't try it myself. It would be great to have an oil analysis to actually see how is. I drive approx. 5k miles per year on my truck and my oil change interval is every 5k miles or once a year.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Junior User

tcrote5516 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Man, you high mileage drivers at 5k per year make my 1,500 look low.

I only put 1,500 or less on mine each year but it gets changed yearly if for no other reason than it makes me crawl under her and inspect things once a year.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:18 AM
Senior User

rjent is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsitum View Post
Oil is still in shed. I/m not sure abut yours opinions. Do not make me carring that oil to test lab.
Honestly I do not see reason why some damage already is bin done. I drove only 20K at synthetic oil where is added 7L at original capacity of 6L. Filter I replaced before time. Do not see reason for damage be done. Time schedule is evidently only problem in this case and open for discusion. I'm, again, aware that engine should be bring to full operating temperature after start and I do it regulary.
Well, I am entitled to my opinion LOL, but it is based on experience. I was a professional mechanic for over a decade, built and campaigned race cars on regional tracks. I was also involved with the maintenance of my aircraft fleet (Cessenas and Pipers) and the unique requirements of those machines. My experience and research proved to me that oil does lose the lubricating properties that was "engineered" into it by the formulations created. No the oil itself doesn't break down, but the additives change/dissappear with the heat, acids, time, and impurities over time. Just look what happened when the powers that be decided to take out the zinc......

So yes, it is my opinion, but it is an educated one .... (yes I am an old fart)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Senior User

Mickey Bitsko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjent View Post
Well, I am entitled to my opinion LOL, but it is based on experience. I was a professional mechanic for over a decade, built and campaigned race cars on regional tracks. I was also involved with the maintenance of my aircraft fleet (Cessenas and Pipers) and the unique requirements of those machines. My experience and research proved to me that oil does lose the lubricating properties that was "engineered" into it by the formulations created. No the oil itself doesn't break down, but the additives change/dissappear with the heat, acids, time, and impurities over time. Just look what happened when the powers that be decided to take out the zinc......

So yes, it is my opinion, but it is an educated one .... (yes I am an old fart)
If there weren't people doing experiments like these us old farts would never know what not to do..
My old opinion..