Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRIAX OIL- REVIEW.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.
TRIAX OIL- REVIEW.

Disclaimer: I don't sell this stuff, just found it and thought I'd pass on the information.

So after getting back from work a couple weeks back, I became aware of the oil spec changes from Nik (nossliw). That got me looking, researching and asking questions. Anyway, I eventually found Triax Oils and sent off some emails. The C/S was top notch right off the bat. I have been running Rotella 5w40 for the record. So based on the C/S, oil specs etc and talking with Nik on his opinion, I decided to give Triax 5w40 synthetic a try.

I ordered a 5 gallon bucket for $114/ free shipping, it came out to $22.80/ gallon. I ordered on Sunday and got it on Tuesday. I changed my oil and started the truck. I immediately thought the truck was quieter and idling smoother but I wasn't 100% sure. A neighbor came over and asked me if I had done something to the truck because it seemed quieter. This is relevant because this is one of those neighbors that hears the truck or you working outside and has to come over and bug the crap out of you preventing you from getting anything done. . He apparently didn't hear the truck immediately and when he did had to come over and see what I was doing.

I have about 90 miles on the oil, including 20 miles of towing. I continue to be impressed with how the truck runs. I've been helped by many of you and actually met Nik here while looking for help when I bought my truck. I'm hoping I can help some of you with this find. I think after 2 oil changes with this oil, I'll send off a sample to get analyzed, wish I had an Analysis of the Rotella to compare it too.

If anyone is interested, I've found the oil on Amazon and eBay, although Amazon is cheaper by about $3/ 5 gallons, Triax oils on EBay offers 20% off orders of $175+. So at $114/ 5 gallons = $22.80/ gallon, but buying 2 buckets @ $228-20% off($45.60) =$182.40/ $18.24 a gallon... Not bad for a full synthetic, free shipping and no tax.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262495069278

FULL SYNTHETIC TRUCK 5W-40 CJ-4 TRIAX FLEET ECELLION - Engine Oil - 5 GAL

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Nice! I'm good for my next oil change but I'd like to hear your follow ups on this. Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future

On a serious note, thanks for posting this. I plan to switch to T5 15w40 sythetic blend Rotella once my stash of T6 runs out. Been running T6 since I bought my truck 3.5 years ago and don't know any different, so we will see what happens.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 AM
nossliw
Postmaster
nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm still using up my Valvoling 5/40 :-). As a background I believe they are out of Texas and were military contracted for some time, they are a small company (500k month gallons of production). That's all I know about them but from the provided oil specs you sent over it sure seemed like a quality old CJ4 spec oil, I was surprised to see they make the old CI-4 spec oil still... I couldn't find them in the API registry though?

Send it in for an oil analysis at 5k and I'm curious what it looks like. I have to special order cases of this valvoline now as it seems its becoming harder and harder to find.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:34 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.
Great write up. I asked about 1-2 months ago if anyone had any experience with this Oil, but no one commented. So I guess no one had tried it. I too have been very interested in this oil, and after hearing your testimony about it, I'll probably jump on your bandwagon. Thank you for posting this up.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:56 PM
ZachinCO
Senior User
ZachinCO is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the write up.

Surprised we can't find this locally with all the Ag shops.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:11 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader
hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
Interesting... ATM I'm running a full synthetic 5W40 Shaffers. I saw less noise n quieter motor over the regular 15W40 rotella. Wonder how this would compare

Old 08-10-2017, 05:19 PM
SRBF150
Elder User
SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.
So, what does an 80,000 mile interval on a big rig translate to a 7.3? Think you can go 7K?

Old 08-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SRBF150 View Post
So, what does an 80,000 mile interval on a big rig translate to a 7.3? Think you can go 7K?
What 80,000 mile interval?

Old 08-10-2017, 06:11 PM
SRBF150
Elder User
SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.
on the front of the pail for the 15-40 it says "oil change can exceed 80,000 miles". Big rigs use I don't know how many gallons, but I wonder if this translates to a longer interval than i've been using with T6 before the CK nonsense which was 5k.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SRBF150 View Post
on the front of the pail for the 15-40 it says "oil change can exceed 80,000 miles". Big rigs use I don't know how many gallons, but I wonder if this translates to a longer interval than i've been using with T6 before the CK nonsense which was 5k.
That's news to me. It's been years (decades even) since I ran my own truck but my oil change interval was 11,000. They must have improved filtration and more to achieve 80,000.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:48 AM
JoeF250
Senior User
JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.JoeF250 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by nossliw View Post
I was surprised to see they make the old CI-4 spec oil still... I couldn't find them in the API registry though?

There are quite a few manufacturers still producing CI-4 spec oil. Many of them are marketed toward marine applications. Probably less pressure/ regulation there.

As to the crazy oil change interval mentioned on the bucket, there are some OTH trucks and stationary engines which never change the oil. They use fancy centrifugal systems to separate the garbage and broken down oil from the rest and burn it as fuel. And just top off the oil as necessary.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:08 AM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
quote from the ebay ad
Extended Drain Performance
TRIAX Fleet Ecellion 5W-40 ESP CJ-4 Full Synthetic will extend your drain intervals by 3 x without compromising engine protection. Drain intervals can be extended even longer with oil analysis. On road semi trucks with over 10 gallons sump can reach 80,000 miles on a regular basis while smaller diesel trucks can safely drain at 15,000-25,000 miles depending on maintenance practices and sump capacity. Drain intervals assume mechanically sound equipment.
3 X DRAIN INTERVALS vs MOST OTHER OILS
On road semi-trucks with 10 gallon sump: 80,000 miles or more
Off-road hauler trucks: 35,000 miles or more
Pickup Trucks with smaller sumps (2-6 gal) such as Dodge RAM, Ford, Chevy, etc: 12,000 - 25,000 miles depending on oil sump capacity

Old 08-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692 View Post
quote from the ebay ad

Old 04-25-2018, 07:13 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Just tried the 15w40 Triax which Triax claims has good flow even at -37F.

Ditto on the claims of quieter and smoothet running engine.

also like that it has boron already so no need to add arch oil or rev-x and thatís a decent money saver.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRIAX OIL- REVIEW.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.