1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

TRIAX OIL- REVIEW.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:51 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
I've run it a year now and the engine runs quieter and in my opinion smoother too.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:35 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
When you go to change your oil, I thought this was interesting about the oil filter:

Old 05-15-2018, 07:15 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,425 Likes on 2,833 Posts
Despite the fact that the oil is rated CJ-4/CK-4 it is performing well, good to know. I know there was a big "scare" about the CK-4 rating when it first came out, but there is usually a short panic period for anything new.

Rich, that video only confirmed what I had thought long ago. I found the below video interesting as well because I have been using K&N filters on my vehicles because of the 1" nut welded to the end of the canister. Makes changing oil very quick for my applications.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:14 PM
axmrdr
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok. I'm in. I just ordered the 15w-40 since I'm from the south and getting below zero just doesn't happen here. It was $124 and change for 5 gallons = approx $25 a gallon, not a bad price.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:37 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 969 Likes on 745 Posts
Originally Posted by axmrdr
Ok. I'm in. I just ordered the 15w-40 since I'm from the south and getting below zero just doesn't happen here. It was $124 and change for 5 gallons = approx $25 a gallon, not a bad price.
yes, great price. Price is sweeter when you factor the money for additives you don’t have to buy because it already has boron and other additives.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:09 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
I’ve been running it for almost a year now and I’ve been more than impressed with how the truck runs. The truck runs significantly quieter and smoother since the change from T6. I even switched to their 5w/30 in my Subaru w/turbo, Which is due for an oil change according to the GF. I’ll be sending in a sample when I do the change. My GF runs their 5w/20 in her JEEP Commander w/ the 5.7 Hemi, which is notorious for having a tick on startup. The tick disappeared almost immediately after the change from Castrol to the Triax. Occasionally they’ll have it on sale for $99/5 gallons and an additional 10% off if you buy two, which brings it into the $17-$18 per gallon range...which is a no brainer. The cheapest I’ve ever found it is on either eBay or Amazon.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:30 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
It appears that most are purchasing the 5w40 full synthetic. I will probably follow the same path as axmrdr when it comes my time to commit and opt for the 15w40 full synthetic.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I will probably follow the same path as axmrdr when it comes my time to commit and opt for the 15w40 full synthetic."

Sous,
I was looking at Amazon and they list an AGRA SUPREME ESP with additives Triax which claims to exceed CK-4 and the CJ-4 ratings. Is this the same stuff that you are talking about? $90.00 for a 5 GAL bucket, free shipping for Prime.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:52 PM
bigreentruck
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I contacted the CS rep at Triax. He said the CJ-CK thing is a myth.
I ordered the Fleet Supreme 5-40. Runs good, but engine seems to lope a little sometimes at idle now. Don't know what that might mean.Just got back my oil analysis report from BlackStone Labs. Glowing report after 7K miles on the 15-40. I have 177K on the odometer. They said I could stretch the oil to 9K miles now. That's impressive.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:24 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Sous,
I was looking at Amazon and they list an AGRA SUPREME ESP with additives Triax which claims to exceed CK-4 and the CJ-4 ratings. Is this the same stuff that you are talking about? $90.00 for a 5 GAL bucket, free shipping for Prime.[/QUOTE]

I plan to run the oil in the link provided below.

Amazon Amazon

Over the few short years I have been on here and across the millions of posts I have read I have seen time and time again that someones truck tends to prefer a 15w40 vs a 5w40 if it is healthy and/or they spend 99% of their time in a warm climate. Oils like Rotella T6 were/are a great option for some with stubborn engines that do not want to start their day, which is what I have been running for the past 4.5 years since buying our truck. It has done great and I have zero complaints. But, something better may be out there and I am willing to try the Triax 15w40 full synthetic. If I notice that the engine does not agree with the weight or the oil, I will try the Triax 5w40 full synthetic. If that still does not agree with the 7.3 mounted in my truck, I will simply go back to the Rotella T6.

Link to the Triax 5w40 is below.

https://smile.amazon.com/Triax-FLEET...70_&dpSrc=srch

Regarding the ESP part of your question, I think this is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. Especially when you are looking at the 7.3 application of the oil. Just my opinion though.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:59 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
When you go to change your oil, I thought this was interesting about the oil filter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imq39p0_YTA
On a similar note ref filters: superior vs. inferior:

Some of us have been running the FleetGuard LF9691 Filter which has a By-pass filter built in...I have for about 2 years now. IMO they are much better at removing soot than than my previous, "supposedly" superior Amsoil BFP and at $26 per filter they are significantly less expensive. I "loaned" one to a friend of mine who also "HAD" the Amsoil BFP with the stipulation that if it didn't keep his oil cleaner then he did not owe me anything and I would re-install his BPF system. He said, "OK" and that as a test he wanted to see if it would clean up the already 3000 mile old soot black oil that was already in his engine. I thought that this test was objective but slightly weighted against the LF9691. So, we removed the Amsoil BFP system and installed this stand-alone filter and added one quart of oil. Sure enough and to my surprise, within 150-200 miles, the oil was clean enough that you could read the marks on the dipstick through the oil where you couldn't before. The outcome of the test was partially assisted by the addition of the single fresh quart of oil by a factor of 1/15th which is insignificant in view of the opacity of the remaining oil in the system. I can explain the fuzzy math if needed. The addition of this filter will increase the total amount of oil needed for an oil change from 15 quarts to 16 quarts which is not a big deal if you are already using a separate BPF but should be taken into consideration if you are using the standard capacity filter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CC33FNC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CC33FNC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 05-17-2018, 09:13 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jhl3
On a similar note ref filters: superior vs. inferior:

Some of us have been running the FleetGuard LF9691 Filter which has a By-pass filter built in...I have for about 2 years now. IMO they are much better at removing soot than than my previous, "supposedly" superior Amsoil BFP and at $26 per filter they are significantly less expensive. I "loaned" one to a friend of mine who also "HAD" the Amsoil BFP with the stipulation that if it didn't keep his oil cleaner then he did not owe me anything and I would re-install his BPF system. He said, "OK" and that as a test he wanted to see if it would clean up the already 3000 mile old soot black oil that was already in his engine. I thought that this test was objective but slightly weighted against the LF9691. So, we removed the Amsoil BFP system and installed this stand-alone filter and added one quart of oil. Sure enough and to my surprise, within 150-200 miles, the oil was clean enough that you could read the marks on the dipstick through the oil where you couldn't before. The outcome of the test was partially assisted by the addition of the single fresh quart of oil by a factor of 1/15th which is insignificant in view of the opacity of the remaining oil in the system. I can explain the fuzzy math if needed. The addition of this filter will increase the total amount of oil needed for an oil change from 15 quarts to 16 quarts which is not a big deal if you are already using a separate BPF but should be taken into consideration if you are using the standard capacity filter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you have a good link to buy from? (link says unavailable) I was thinking about this the other day. I currently am using carquest store branded filters that are made in USA but do not know by who. I got a bunch on closeout and have half a dozen or so left.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:22 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Do you have a good link to buy from? (link says unavailable) I was thinking about this the other day. I currently am using carquest store branded filters that are made in USA but do not know by who. I got a bunch on closeout and have half a dozen or so left.
They are usually in stock. Occasionally, I get the same status since they are so popular. Just check again in a few days. Also, be aware that the LF9691A does not fit and it does pop up at times when cross referencing.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:49 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jhl3
They are usually in stock. Occasionally, I get the same status since they are so popular. Just check again in a few days. Also, be aware that the LF9691A does not fit and it does pop up at times when cross referencing.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! finally 10 characters?

Old 05-17-2018, 03:31 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Brandon, here’s a couple options...but damn $$$

Fleetguard Lube Filter Combination Part No: LF9691
Amazon Amazon

‘’eBay has them too but $50 for a filter?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FLEETGUARD-...-/302561450136

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRIAX OIL- REVIEW.