1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 F-100 body on late madel chassis, Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 11:39 AM
Cigboat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1955 F-100 body on late madel chassis, Possible?

Hello everyone,
Has anyone heard of someone putting a 1955 body on a late model (1993) chassis? If so are their any kits to do this? Or would it just be easier to put late model drivetrain in original frame? Thanks in advance... Scott

Old 09-07-2003, 01:57 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

I have not of putting a 55' on a late model chassis but take a look at my gallery.

Old 09-07-2003, 09:16 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

Might contact HOTROD59460 here on FTE. He did similar and is a mechanic who knows how to do it right... just check his gallery and you'll see what I mean. Tell John that Daryl sent ya!

Daryl

Old 09-09-2003, 05:01 PM
Cigboat
New User

Hey Daryl,
I can not seem to find HOTROD59460. Is he still on this website? Thanks in advance.. Scott

Old 09-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas

In my early days of looking over trucks for sale, I came across a nice (looked good from across the street!) 56 F100. I was told by the seller (and this was a local auto mechanic shop) that it was put on a 75 frame with its 351C engine. This was a very loose truck to drive. The steering was sloppy - with the column very sloppy. The running boards seemed to drop about 2" when I stepped on them. All in all it was a very poor truck - even worse at the $6000 price tag!! Maybe it could be done, but there are many hurdles to jump. Most magazines write against doing this, but then they have a lot of advertisers to answer to!

Old 09-14-2003, 09:21 PM
paultsr
New User

I've been thinking of a similar project but I've never tried anything that ambitious. I was thinking of an AWD, maybe on an Explorer chassis. My limited initial research leads me to believe it's possible. Info I've found on the net shows the track width and wheel base are pretty close, but I haven't verified this yet.

Old 09-16-2003, 04:34 PM
Cigboat
New User

Thanks for the input. I think I might try a full size frame over a midsize. Maybe a 95 Lightning....

Old 09-16-2003, 08:34 PM
BobJonesSpecial
Senior User

I know it can be done, but to get it right takes an enormous ammount of skill and fabricating abillity. The wheelbase will probably have to be changed. Are you capable of this? The tread width may or may not be correct. This is VERY difficult to change, especially in front. NOTHING is going to line up. Every single cab mount is going to have to be fabricated. The steering column won't be at the right angle. The steering column is going to be too long.

These old F-100's are a BEAR to get the front sheet metal lined up when the're on a stock frame. It will be even harder on an adapted frame.

I think if you're going to leave it a 4 X 2 it's too much trouble for what it's worth. If you want a 4 X 4 it might make more sense.

Good luck and BE SAFE.

Jim McNaul
BobJonesSpecial

Old 09-16-2003, 09:59 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

"I think if you're going to leave it a 4 X 2 it's too much trouble for what it's worth. If you want a 4 X 4 it might make more sense."

Amen to what Jim said. (Finally figured out your name isn't Bob, sorry about that). Every frame swap I have ever seen ends up being a massive compromise. They usually end up a mile high and looking like a 4x4 to allow for luxuries like being able to steer. I've never met anyone who would go that route again.

Old 09-16-2003, 10:12 PM
BobJonesSpecial
Senior User

There's an absolutely beautiful black '69 Chevy ElCamino SS running around Denver on a Wagoneer 4 X 4 chassis. The guy that built it must be a master! The wheels and tires are right in the fenders and it sits right. The tires are real big and you would probably have to be "Wilt The Stilt" to get into it but that's the look for the guys and their 4 X 4s these days. The interior looks like a brand new SS. It also has a big block with 2 4bbl carbs sticking out of the hood! Hairy

BobJonesSpecial

Old 09-16-2003, 11:58 PM
paultsr
New User

I could almost see fatfenders's and BJS's grimacing faces as they read about this swap idea, but come on guys!, an '56 F100 lightning! What do ya say?!

Old 09-17-2003, 06:10 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Pau

It just sounds so good on the drawing board doesn't it.

The latest one I have had the priviledge of witnessing construction of is actually an early 50s IH 1/2 ton on an S10 frame. The radiator is under the bed. (ooh, watch out for that piece of gravel) It has a big electric fan of course since it gets no help from normal air flow. It's a hoot when the fan relay kicks on and the road dirt starts flying. Kind of like a UH60 Blackhawk Helicopter landing, but with smoothie wheels and flames. The guy spent a lot of time planning and has built some nice rods in the past. He just made a few bad moves early and could never recover without radical frame mods or a lift job. Anyway, if I ever did it she'd be a 4x4 for sure.

Old 09-17-2003, 07:16 AM
mikew
Senior User

I know a guy down in Texas that had a friend put a '56 body on a 01 or 02 explorer. The pictures looked fantastic, but I haven't seen it in person. Supposedly, the wheelbase and width were ok, but body mounts are a SOB. This guy even incorporated the steering column, complete wiring harness and even the door panels. It was nice, but seemed like a ton of work for an IFS (and IRS).

Mike

Old 09-17-2003, 02:01 PM
Muldo
Junior User

Wow, glad I found this thread.

I'm currently in the middle of mounting a 1960 Mercury 100 body on a 1996 F-150 4x4 Chassis...why? The guy we bought the '96 from put in a Ford SVO Aluminum head 5.0...all told $21,000 canadian into the motor and tranny. A body lift and 33's later (no offence intended girls,) gave it to his wife and she rolled it goin 50mph down the highway. We bought it wrecked for less than half that.

My serious hang up to date has been keeping the body low and far enough forward to keep the wheels in the wheel-well.

I've taken the body off of the '60 frame in-tact. fenders and rad support and all..one piece. That way, I can have everything lined up where I want it and manufacture body mounts to fit.

I'm retaining the rubber mounts on the '96 chassis, and fabricating brackets to go from those to the mounting points on the '60 body.

In order to get the body low, I'm cutting out the firewall from just inside the hood hinges (all the way across) and down to an inch up the angled bit of the floorboards. I might have to go futher towards the back of the cab, but not sure yet. This will allow me to get the cab as low as possible.

That has two advantages: Low centre of gravity, and one helluva mean lookin' truck.

Once that's done, I'll fabricate a new firewalll and hump. This will allow me to properly retrofit the new brake booster, steering column, computers, and everything else. The real work of art and challenge will be the HVAC box from the '96. It will be a masterpiece of sheet metal fab to get it in the right spot, as it'll need to be turned to clear the motor. (See, the side-to-side limits of the '60 are skinnier than the limits on the '96, so the heater box has to be moved closer to over-top the motor than it was originally.)

I have considered scrapping the '96 heater and just running the '60 heater box...'cuz that just needs the heater hoses...but what fun would that be? No AC? I don't think so.

Anyway, once the body's in the right spot, as is the '96 seat, steering column, all the electrical components, everything. Then I'll take it all apart again, right down to taking apart the grille, rad support, fenders, etc. This is to get a proper paint job done and I'm not trying to figure out how to mount all my stuff on newly painted metal.

That's all I can think of right now.

In short, it's not easy. But it is possible. How much time, money, and enthusiasm do you have? On the other hand, it wouldn't be a hobby if it weren't fun and challenging.

My two cents...all I could afford :-)

Muldo

Old 09-17-2003, 09:23 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas

Muldo,

I have a story somewhat similar to yours. My truck building experience started with a 57 F100. I didn't have any real direction when I started, so I was subject to anything coming my way. A 90 Lincoln Town Car came my way! I was just going to use the 5.0 and AOD at first, but the better rear gearing (and brakes) along with the IFS up front with power discs were too inviting. I got thru most of the frame stuff pretty fast. The front was cut off and the Lincoln was fabbed on. The engine went back in easily along the the AOD. Thats when trouble hit. I had measured the engine and firewall distance at least 10 times. When the cab went back on, it hit the back of the engine. Now I have a gaping hole were the gas pedal should be. Next problem came with intalling the front cap. The bed never got bolted all the way down. It is sitting in my yard beside my shop, my 54 is in come pieces under my carport. I can't give the 57 away and I have too much money tied up to even think about it.

Quick Reply: 1955 F-100 body on late madel chassis, Possible?