Fuel tank upgrade (give me your thoughts) - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Fuel tank upgrade (give me your thoughts)

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank upgrade (give me your thoughts)

Old 08-12-2017, 11:53 PM
ZooDad
Elder User
ZooDad has much to be proud ofZooDad has much to be proud ofZooDad has much to be proud ofZooDad has much to be proud ofZooDad has much to be proud ofZooDad has much to be proud ofZooDad has much to be proud ofZooDad has much to be proud of
I have the 65 gallon Titan. No regrets. It's awesome.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:31 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post
Email from Titan states the skid plates are made of cross linked, military grade XLHDPE polymer.
That's the same stuff as our RZR skid plate, and that thing takes a lickin

Old 09-30-2018, 09:47 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've decided to put the Titan 50-gallon 7020211 replacement tank in my 2013 Crew Cab Short Bed. The truck just turned 70,000. Looking for opinions on proactively replacing the Fuel Tank Sending Unit. The things aren't killer expensive ~$200.00. I'm on the fence between "if it ain't broke" and "as long as the tank is out".

Old 09-30-2018, 12:15 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
The fuel tank sending unit is on top of the tank. It is out of the way and sit very close to the floor of the cab. I have had a Titan tank in my truck for 4 years with no issues of any kind.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:23 PM
U235Fishin'
Senior User
U235Fishin' has a good reputation on FTE.U235Fishin' has a good reputation on FTE.
If it ain't broke ..... My $0.02 worth.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:30 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by U235Fishin' View Post
If it ain't broke ..... My $0.02 worth.
you must not have taken any long trips pulling a trailer and getting 10mpg or less. You can got 200 miles and then start to look for fuel the the SWB 26 gallon tank.

With the LWB having a 65 gallon tank, I can go 600 miles and pick the places I want to stop for fuel at reasonable cost.

So, it might not be broke, but sure worth the $$$ to change tanks.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:09 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Chuck-B View Post
I've decided to put the Titan 50-gallon 7020211 replacement tank in my 2013 Crew Cab Short Bed. The truck just turned 70,000. Looking for opinions on proactively replacing the Fuel Tank Sending Unit. The things aren't killer expensive ~$200.00. I'm on the fence between "if it ain't broke" and "as long as the tank is out".
Id say save the 200 for another day, plus down the road there may be a better option than stock....

Old 09-30-2018, 05:21 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Chuck-B View Post
The sending unit is just that....a sending unit with the fuel pickup and return lines. There is NOT a pump in the tank like with a gasoline engine fuel tank. The low pressure fuel pump in part of the DFCM where the large fuel filter is located.

Think would be a waste of money to replace it. If I replaced anything, it might be the large o-ring.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:44 AM
U235Fishin'
Senior User
U235Fishin' has a good reputation on FTE.U235Fishin' has a good reputation on FTE.
you must not have taken any long trips pulling a trailer and getting 10mpg or less. You can got 200 miles and then start to look for fuel the the SWB 26 gallon tank.

With the LWB having a 65 gallon tank, I can go 600 miles and pick the places I want to stop for fuel at reasonable cost.

Take a look at the map of the Four Corners Area where I live and that is precisely why I went to a Titan 50 gallon tank. Somewhere I have a picture of a road sign: "No Food Lodging Fuel Next 125 Miles" in southwestern New Mexico. And that was 40 miles after the last fuel stastion. My $0.02 worth was referring to replacing the sending unit with the tank change out.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:41 AM
lynnmor
Senior User
lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.
A few comments about the Titan tank:

I wouldn't install the shield unless I was doing serious off road driving. The thing can collect stones as mentioned above, and mine made scrunching noises as it rubbed the tank for several years. For me, it was a waste of money and actually was a negative asset.

The vent is to be modified per the instructions. I added a homemade sleeve of lawnmower air filter material over that vent to keep out debris.

There are a couple of the original bolts that are to be reused, but they should be one size longer.

There is a bolt head in one of the brackets that comes dangerously close to the plastic tank, I countersunk the bracket for a flat head screw.

The installation is documented in a video on this website. I found it was rather easy with the most difficult part being the connection of the fuel lines with my big hands.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
you must not have taken any long trips pulling a trailer and getting 10mpg or less. You can go 200 miles and then start to look for fuel the the SWB 26 gallon tank.

Larry, think you may have misread my post or I misunderstood your reply. I'm going to go for the tank, in my instance I tow a 22' enclosed trailer and it's just a huge PIA refueling. I live in the Northeast where truck stops are not like they are in most of the rest of the country. My question was really around proactively replacing the in-tank fuel level sending unit.

Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
A few comments about the Titan tank:

I wouldn't install the shield unless I was doing serious off road driving. The thing can collect stones as mentioned above, and mine made scrunching noises as it rubbed the tank for several years. For me, it was a waste of money and actually was a negative asset.

The vent is to be modified per the instructions. I added a homemade sleeve of lawnmower air filter material over that vent to keep out debris.

There are a couple of the original bolts that are to be reused, but they should be one size longer.

There is a bolt head in one of the brackets that comes dangerously close to the plastic tank, I countersunk the bracket for a flat head screw.

The installation is documented in a video on this website. I found it was rather easy with the most difficult part being the connection of the fuel lines with my big hands.
LynnMor, thanks for the tips. I've already purchased the shield. My plan is to fill in the gap with GreatStuff. Although in hindsight, probably should have saved the money. I have watched the video but don't think I'll be doing the install myself. The days of rolling around on my back in my driveway are behind me. There is a local garage that I've been taking my major repairs to for several years, I'm hoping they let me hang out and "help" so I can make some of the modification you listed. I should be able to fix the dangerously close bolt post install as small jobs on my back on the asphalt I'll still attempt.

I also want to thank everyone who responded. I think I'll save the ~$200.00 dollars on the sending unit.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:03 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Well my Titan arrived yesterday. I still have a 1/2 a tank of fuel so will need to wait until I run that off a bit. The tank I received is a "Gen 6" tank. The Gen 6 tank uses the Hold Down Ring from the factory tank. They do send you a new O-Ring for the sending unit. The other difference I see between the Gen 5 and Gen 6 instructions is that Gen 6 no longer has you cut the vent hose. Also the straps are no longer shipped inside the tank. They are in separate boxes in the box containing the tank so hopefully that solves the shards of plastic (or "cross linked, military grade XLHDPE polymer") getting in the fuel system problem.

I am wondering why they don't have you install the "Extruded Flexible Bushings" if you have the tank shield? Maybe it's because as Lynnmor mentions the factory bolts are too short. My thought is that the Extruded Flexible Bushings are used to protect the tank from rubbing / vibrating on the straps that hold the tank and Titan is probably thinking "who cares about the skid plate" but I kinda do. I may pull a bolt and head to my local Ace, pick up a couple longer stainless steel bolts and go with the Extruded Flexible Bushings on the skid plate.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:44 AM
lynnmor
Senior User
lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.
I remember now, Titan had me add the rubbers with the shield because of the rubbing. The fit was way too tight in my opinion, but they said do it anyway.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
I have had my Titan tank installed for 4 plus years now. I did order the tanks shield/skid plate and installed it. I did NOT use the rubber strap bushings per the instructions. I have not had any problems with the tank shifting or loose nor any other issues.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:13 PM
U235Fishin'
Senior User
I installed the rubbers for a very snug fit. Also, even though the brackets are not shipped inside the tank any more, take the time to vacuum AND clean with something like a swiffer to remove fabrication fines. Remember to fill the gap between the skid plate and the tank. BTW: get ready to enjoy your first 400 mile towing trip without fueling up!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel tank upgrade (give me your thoughts)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: