6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Truck lost power, no boost, no codes......

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 02:34 PM
AggieFord
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck lost power, no boost, no codes......

Truck = 2011 F250 150,000 miles, no modifications, stock.

Truck lost power yesterday, no boost, and no codes. When driving on Friday, I started moving from a red light. The truck seemed very sluggish. Then I noticed it downshift going up a small hill that it never downshifts before. I looked, and noticed the turbo gauge at 0, no boost. I pulled over, turned it off, then restarted it, but still no boost, and the truck is very under-powered. I looked over the area, and do not notice any leaks, also no leaks underneath. I hooked up my OBD reader, and no codes., the boost gauge is on zero, and the truck has lost significant power. I no longer hear the turbo spooling.

I have spent the past several hours searching sites and forums (Started with FTE ), and it seems that most believe a “restart” of the truck has solved it for them. However, this is not the case for me, a restart, even after letting it sit overnight did not resolve the issue.

I did see one reference that replacing a NOX sensor solved their problem. This brings up some interesting truck history. Back in June 2017, my truck threw the following codes, P207F and P20EE.

P207F - Reductant Quality Performance
P20EE - SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

The message said I have 200 miles until reduced power. Since it was a Friday, not much I could do at the time so I let it sit overnight, and then the next morning the message was gone. I plugged in the OBD reader and cleared the only remaining code (P20EE), and it’s been a very happy truck until yesterday.

So my question, can a bad NOX sensor cause the issue of loss of turbo boost, with no codes? Is there another possible cause?

Thanks for your help.

Ryan

Old 08-05-2017, 09:09 PM
hawkrdr
New User
Dealer kept saying it was a wastegate issue, ended up doing a full turbo replacement again
was great until I found a pretty decent oil leak that has started since the dealership did the replacement..........

Old 08-06-2017, 05:16 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, it has to be something mechanical that doesn't have any sensors watching it, right? With no codes the computers in the truck think everything is fine.

Maybe the turbo vanes quit moving or the egr is plugged?

Old 08-07-2017, 03:13 PM
AggieFord
Freshman User
Good News / Bad News.

Good News = Truck is working again / Bad News = No idea what went wrong on Friday.

I didn't start, nor move the truck this weekend as I decided to take it in to the dealer early Monday morning. After starting it up, I noticed the boost gauge started reading again. As I continued to a major street, I got on the throttle and it moved up to 10. Working? I continued to drive it around town and got on the highway. At one point, it got up to 20. One thing I noticed immediately was that the gas mileage was awful, and even before the truck warmed up, the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message came on. I drove a little longer on the highway to give it time to clean. After the gas mileage returned to "normal", I returned home. During the drive, up and down hills, the boost gauge moved between 0-15, depending upon the hill while never downshifting outta 6th.

I'm happy it appears to be working again, but worried that it'll happen again.

Ryan

Old 10-06-2017, 01:20 PM
ErikB
New User
Following....
2010 F250 - 90kmi
I bought the truck on Tuesday from a small dealer with no warranty. It has been running great except for today, I was running errands. I drove for about 30 minutes without issues. After a brief stop, I was going up a small hill but had no boost. I was barely crawling up the hill. I ran into the post office. When I came back out, the truck ran fine.
Outside temp - 80*
No mods to truck that I know of.
No error codes or lights

Obviously, I am really excited about my new truck but am really worried if issues are starting already.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:22 PM
Critter21
New User
No boost, No power, No codes

Have a 2017 Powerstroke F-250 with 115k on odometer. Fuel mileage been crappy lately (13-14mpg without towing). Hooked up to my 34’ camper this weekend and pulled it down to the island. Road is flat no hills just overpasses. Truck was downshifting to 4th gear with max rpm and no boost from turbo, when going up over passes. I have pulled same camper up way steeper hills and truck stayed in 6th gear without problems.

On the way back home i engaged the exhaust brake and what do you know, there is my boost and my power is back. Truck stayed in 6th and never downshifted. Have driven truck empty and it Looks like mpg is back too. Still too early to tell though.

Looks like problem is related to the engine brake and boost from turbo is somehow being diverted from engine. Don’t know if there is a sensor here so computer won’t know it’s malfunctioning or maybe it’s staying half open or closed.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-22-2020, 10:23 AM
Vinny Paul Petro
New User
Originally Posted by Critter21
Have a 2017 Powerstroke F-250 with 115k on odometer. Fuel mileage been crappy lately (13-14mpg without towing). Hooked up to my 34’ camper this weekend and pulled it down to the island. Road is flat no hills just overpasses. Truck was downshifting to 4th gear with max rpm and no boost from turbo, when going up over passes. I have pulled same camper up way steeper hills and truck stayed in 6th gear without problems.

On the way back home i engaged the exhaust brake and what do you know, there is my boost and my power is back. Truck stayed in 6th and never downshifted. Have driven truck empty and it Looks like mpg is back too. Still too early to tell though.

Looks like problem is related to the engine brake and boost from turbo is somehow being diverted from engine. Don’t know if there is a sensor here so computer won’t know it’s malfunctioning or maybe it’s staying half open or closed.

Hope this helps!
Probably your tps starting to go. Also double check the gate controller and/or switch for exhaust brake controller. If the truck has an automatic setting for it, it may be coming on with cruise and sticking. Had this happen in our RAM. Exact same issue different motor altogether. One of the wire was burnt for the controller.