1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tuner? Hybrid injectors for towing and daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 11:45 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by cleatus12r
No choice as far as I can see....

160/80% DONE.

Agreed

Old 08-05-2017, 07:44 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Another piece of helpful info about goals for our Excursion.

My days of working on the Ex are likely coming to an end before long. I really need to get this puppy locked down and solid. Mostly there, so I thought, but need to start wrapping it up.

So 160/80 is probably a good, safe bet. Get her tuned with "known" techniques and change the turbo if needed and put off the transmission for as long as she is happy (no known problems at the moment )

Losing this time to travel is really hard on us for various reasons. I need to get her back up and running ASAP. I'll send the injectors out Monday.

I've sent PMs looking to talk with a tuner and set a time frame, just waiting for his response as is convenient.

I am hoping to get outside today, drain the coolant from the radiator and then pull the motor drain plugs. Probably should drain the oil, too. Make it easier to get the cups out and the holes clean and dry.

I planned this yesterday, but today will be a better day anyways

Old 08-05-2017, 08:03 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
John, might I offer a suggestion while your wallet is open. You may want to consider new glow plugs, new UVCH, new injector bolts. This hopefully would eliminate the need to go back under the valve covers for a very long time.

The only reason I suggest these is that is what I plan to do. Once the valve covers are off on my truck, and they go back on. I hope to not have them off again for 100K miles or more.

Of course, if you have done any of this maintenance already, then disregard what I have said and enjoy your Saturday.

I think you will be very happy with 160/80 injectors, everyone that has purchased them has been very happy. I think you are making the right decision for a truck that is being built turn the key and go, not roll onto a dyno and see what she can do.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:14 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sous
John, might I offer a suggestion while your wallet is open. You may want to consider new glow plugs, new UVCH, new injector bolts. This hopefully would eliminate the need to go back under the valve covers for a very long time.

The only reason I suggest these is that is what I plan to do. Once the valve covers are off on my truck, and they go back on. I hope to not have them off again for 100K miles or more.

Of course, if you have done any of this maintenance already, then disregard what I have said and enjoy your Saturday.

I think you will be very happy with 160/80 injectors, everyone that has purchased them has been very happy. I think you are making the right decision for a truck that is being built turn the key and go, not roll onto a dyno and see what she can do.

Thanks. So many moving parts and other stuff going on, it's helpful to hear all these voices of reason

About 50k ago did the UVCH and Motorcraft GPs. Until this (likely failed injector), no problems starting in even the coldest weather (-40F cold at times) without being plugged in. Very different than my initial experience (look up my oldest threads )

Curious about the injector bolts, though? They are only 120in-lbs, so they shouldn't be stretched or anything? I know some have had troubles, but likely due to previous trauma or drama in the injectors' lives LOL

Add to your list the cups. Unless this is some kind of sadistic chore from hades, I'm planning to do all 8 while it is apart. I'm fortunate that a buddy I've helped a lot with other things lent me his tool and gave me his remaining 7 cups and adhesive

Once we get her all back together and running good, I might just get the MIG out and tack those valve cover bolts LOL.

I threatened to do that to the hood after doing the uppipes and breaking things a while back

But....

In all seriousness, I was considering welding a nut on top of the hardest to reach valve cover bolts. With all the knuckle/wobble/contortionist stuff it takes to get on the bolts, they also like to pop the socket off

We'll see how much time I get and how froggy I feel with the welder

Old 08-05-2017, 09:55 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
So who is rebuilding them? Or are you buying new? I think you will be happy with your choice.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:06 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
So who is rebuilding them? Or are you buying new? I think you will be happy with your choice.
Well, I would like to go with Rosewood Diesel for the rebuild. "What" I'm going to have done is still in question.

My Excursion has splitshots now and won't run with single shots without tunes. That's the problem. I'm having difficulty getting someone to tune for me

So I may get stuck just having them rebuilt to stock AD's. Would be a huge disappointment, but at least my truck would *run* LOL.

I guess that is better than having new injectors I can't use and a truck that doesn't run, right?

Oh well. Maybe I'll get better responses over the weekend

Old 08-06-2017, 09:25 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
In your signature you note you have "HYDRA w/ GH Tunes". Have they stopped offering lifetime tune updates or am I missing something?

Old 08-06-2017, 09:35 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Oh well. Maybe I'll get better responses over the weekend
I doubt it. Many of the tuners take the weekends off or get involved with other business aspects, events, sponsorships, etc.

If you contacted them Friday or yesterday, you'll probably hear from them next week.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:32 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Pocket
I doubt it. Many of the tuners take the weekends off or get involved with other business aspects, events, sponsorships, etc.

If you contacted them Friday or yesterday, you'll probably hear from them next week.
Thanks. I always figured the forum was after-hours stuff, if at all

Old 08-06-2017, 11:45 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sous
In your signature you note you have "HYDRA w/ GH Tunes". Have they stopped offering lifetime tune updates or am I missing something?
I don't know, I'll try again tomorrow.

Might have to go that way.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:05 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by The Brad
I guess the next question is: What's your budget? I'm a huge believer in the Borg Warner SXE turbos, but that'll require a T4 mount. But here's a video of if a zf6 with 238/100s and a 366sxe grossing 26k pulling a grade in a Gearhead tow tune at low rpm. Note the boost and EGTs. Boost doesn't have to make heat!

https://youtu.be/SZNacIg_cPY

Tell me about those gauges? They look good and as I noticed recently, are helpful to be closer to natural field of vision. The pillar mounts are nice, too, but I think I'm liking yours better

Old 08-06-2017, 03:26 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Rosewood sounds good. Haven't heard anything that I can remember bad about them. For stock rebuild they are suppost to be the best. But i would go with gear head and let them tune for you till the person I think you would like starts doing it if he dose. Gear head is pretty good. PHP had a really good rep @ one time to. BTS tunes or use to and lots of people like him as well. I'd go the 160/80 if I was you, you are going to wish you did if you don't. How heavy are you going to tow? What intake do you have? I don't see it listed? The only thing you mitt have to add is turbo, or at least mod yours. Not listed either.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:51 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Rosewood sounds good. Haven't heard anything that I can remember bad about them. For stock rebuild they are suppost to be the best. But i would go with gear head and let them tune for you till the person I think you would like starts doing it if he dose. Gear head is pretty good. PHP had a really good rep @ one time to. BTS tunes or use to and lots of people like him as well. I'd go the 160/80 if I was you, you are going to wish you did if you don't. How heavy are you going to tow? What intake do you have? I don't see it listed? The only thing you mitt have to add is turbo, or at least mod yours. Not listed either.
Thanks for the feedback and questions

I have a modded AIS intake (3 inch hole cut in it) and SPXTurbo wheel.

We hope to be towing 6-10 times per year, probably 21k-23k lbs, depending on the trip.

Not all the trips are going to be 3k miles per trip. That might be once per year, unless we can finally get out west. Depends mostly on how the Excursion behaves and holds up

Thanks.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:19 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Tell me about those gauges? They look good and as I noticed recently, are helpful to be closer to natural field of vision. The pillar mounts are nice, too, but I think I'm liking yours better
Those aren't my gauges. The truck in that video belongs to a friend. After a quick search, I found this at Riffraff.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:53 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Gauges

Thanks! I may go with those.

Edit: Those aren't listed under the Excursion, maybe why I hadn't found them before

Quick Reply: Tuner? Hybrid injectors for towing and daily driver?