1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Aftermarket Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Mike - Good point. I've actually considered having one temp gauge in the block and one after the 'stat just so I would know that the 'stat is working properly. In other words, if it doesn't close properly the two gauges will read pretty much the same at all times. And if it doesn't open properly there will be a difference in the two.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:27 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin
Measuring coolant temp accurately when the truck is cold, in not that important. It's knowing if the truck is getting too hot - that's important. So installing the aftermarket temp sensor in the thermostat housing is perfectly acceptable place (if no other location is available). IMO.

Another option may be to install a tee-fitting in the heater hose that has a NTP port. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2280/overview/
I dont agree. What if the thermostat stuck closed? The temp gauge would be pretty much dead the whole time the engine is overheating.
I have used fittings in the heater hose. That works well

Old 08-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I thought we were talking about a situation where both gauges are operating.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:44 AM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I thought we were talking about a situation where both gauges are operating.
I guess that would work if you trust the factory gauge I don't.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:54 AM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 692 Likes on 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I guess that would work if you trust the factory gauge I don't.
Maybe it's finally time to split the forum into two separate entities:

1) Ford Truck Enthusiasts Who Trust the Factory Gauges

2) Ford Truck Enthusiasts Who Do Not Trust the Factory Gauges

Moderators, can you set up the two new forums, please? I don't see any other realistic options.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by kr98664
Maybe it's finally time to split the forum into two separate entities:

1) Ford Truck Enthusiasts Who Trust the Factory Gauges

2) Ford Truck Enthusiasts Who Do Not Trust the Factory Gauges

Moderators, can you set up the two new forums, please? I don't see any other realistic options.
And, which way will you go?

Old 08-07-2017, 09:41 PM
rodp14
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is the plug I am thinking may be a spot for another temp gauge??

I tore out the aftermarket cruise that the PO put in and I already have a hole so I am thinking that two gauges (prob 2in) on either side will fit nicely with my trim. Cant go much bigger because there is brace going down the center of both sides in the back.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I don't think that hole gets into coolant. I believe the coolant on a Windsor only runs straight across the front and the back of the intake manifold from side to side. So only ports in that area will work.

As for the placement of gauges, those spots will work well. They are dramatically more visible than down where I have mine. I think ctubutis put his there, so he may have a pic in his albums - if his pics are still intact.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:45 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I don't think that hole gets into coolant. I believe the coolant on a Windsor only runs straight across the front and the back of the intake manifold from side to side. So only ports in that area will work.

As for the placement of gauges, those spots will work well. They are dramatically more visible than down where I have mine. I think ctubutis put his there, so he may have a pic in his albums - if his pics are still intact.
My pictures died years ago, Gary, for various reasons.

What stuff I have in any FTE albums & galleries I don't know, but that's small, single-use stuff (in general).

ImageShack was the first image-hosting provider to do what PhotoBucket is now doing - dropping those customers who don't pay.

I've been burned twice now and am in no hurry to do it again.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 AM
CountryBumkin
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another place that might work for you is the left pillar. There are gauge pods available
like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/g...rd/model/f-150

However, the earliest I can find is for a 1987. I have one now (a single pod) for an '87+ year truck, and it is not an exact match to the 80-86 pillar shape, but it's close enough that is not obvious.

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2017, 07:38 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin
However, the earliest I can find is for a 1987. I have one now (a single pod) for an '87+ year truck, and it is not an exact match to the 80-86 pillar shape, but it's close enough that is not obvious.
People have mentioned these A-pillar gauge pods for years, and how the curvature of 1987+ models is slightly different.

People have used Bondo & paint to meld everything together if you want to go through the effort.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by rodp14
That is the plug I am thinking may be a spot for another temp gauge??

I tore out the aftermarket cruise that the PO put in and I already have a hole so I am thinking that two gauges (prob 2in) on either side will fit nicely with my trim. Cant go much bigger because there is brace going down the center of both sides in the back.
Look for a port on the other side of the dist. Gary is right, you only have coolant running straight across the manifold that other port will have vacuum on it.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:16 PM
rodp14
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok..thanks..
No other port on the other side..there is one on top of the thermostat housing so I think that is where I will put it.
Looked at a good place to put my oil pressure sensor, and there is already a tee coming off the engine..on top of the tee is the stock sending unit (that I just replaced) and I'm not sure what is coming straight off it. Anybody got an idea? I put oil pressure sender into autozone and two components came up: "oil pressure sender" and "and oil pressure safety switch." So I was thinking maybe it is a safety switch. However the switch they showed had a similar setup to my oil pressure sender-it takes a boot. What I have coming straight off the tee has two wires-pink and white. Thanks for all the help.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:24 AM
CountryBumkin
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You have both - an "oil pressure sender" (the single wire), and an "oil pressure switch" (the multi wire). The switch only allows battery voltage to pass when the engine is running and has oil pressure.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Franklin2
If you are going to put the temp sending unit in the top of the thermostat housing, I think I would move the factory gauge to that spot and put the real gauge in the old factory spot. I know I seem very negative about the factory gauges, but that is from experiences I have had with them.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Gauges