Furture Slide in pop up

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 06:48 PM
jsduty
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Furture Slide in pop up

So I'm going to order a new truck soon. After reading thread after thread on all topics, The truck will be, XLT F350, crew cab, short box, 4x4, 6.2, 4.30's, snow/camper, 275 70 18 AT's, cab lights, skid plates, up switches, ext boards, sliding rear window, spray in bed liner, carpet delete, 110v/400w AC Inverter Outlet, Blue jean with camel. Will i have a truck that can handle with some room to spare a four wheel pop up slide in and still pull my jeep around on a flat bed trailer? Is it a good idea to add the 5th wheel prep for just the bed plug? With out going duel rear wheel i think this will give me just about the best pay load ?? or is there somthing I'm missing? Thanks

Old 08-03-2017, 07:35 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
I know the short box is going to limit what kind of slide in or truck camper you will be able to purchase. You may want to get a long bed just for that reason especially if you are ordering the truck.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:09 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by FordmanNJ
I know the short box is going to limit what kind of slide in or truck camper you will be able to purchase. You may want to get a long bed just for that reason especially if you are ordering the truck.
that's what I thought when I got s long bed, but look around first. I found short beds are outnumbering long bed. It just depends. A dually may be overkill for a pop-up unless something like a Chucharra.

Steve

Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 PM
jsduty
Mountain Pass
Four wheel makes a short bed pop up called the hawk, that looks like it will work with a bumper pull trailer The thing with the long bed is the pay load goes down. If i had to guess jeep, trailer and gear 8,000#

Old 08-04-2017, 10:55 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Unless you are going to haul a 5th wheel then the 5th wheel prep kit from the factory is not worth it and will only cost you payload because of the extra weight. I had the prep kit in my previous truck and now with my new one, knowing I was only going to be hauling my slide in truck camper and/or a bumper pull ATV trailer etc., I opted not to get the 5th wheel prep kit.
I had a dealer install the 7 way plug, which is the same one they use for the prep kit and is installed in the same location, driver side rear of bed about 2/3'rds up the side.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:14 PM
jsduty
Mountain Pass
Do you remember the cost of the plug install

Old 08-04-2017, 08:27 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
that's what I thought when I got s long bed, but look around first. I found short beds are outnumbering long bed. It just depends. A dually may be overkill for a pop-up unless something like a Chucharra.

Steve
Originally Posted by jsduty
Four wheel makes a short bed pop up called the hawk, that looks like it will work with a bumper pull trailer The thing with the long bed is the pay load goes down. If i had to guess jeep, trailer and gear 8,000#
That pop up truck camper is a pretty cool design. I know a few people were talking about them in the slide in thread. The short bed would make sense if you are off roading. You would want a shorter wheel base. I looked up the ford specs on Ford's Fleet web site. It looks like if you got the 11, 400 or 11,500 GVWR you would get more payload in the long bed configuration. 11,300 and lower seemed to lose a couple hundred pounds or so. Nothing crazy. However the long bed 11,500 Super cab came in with a whopping 4700 pounds of payload. That's pretty crazy. I remember my BiL saying in his DRW 06 350 diesel, he had 5500# payload capacity. A SRW now almost has the same limit as a 2006 model truck. Damn!

However I can see if you need a 350 but don't need a crazy high GVWR due to registration or plate restrictions like some states have. Good luck with the ordering process and have fun with the truck camper.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:42 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I think it was about $200 installed.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:21 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
it is a very easy project to do yourself if so inclined.

Steve

Old 08-06-2017, 08:44 AM
jsduty
Mountain Pass
The funny thing is been thinking of the 5th wheel prep. Just in case I want to mount the pop up on a gooseneck with the jeep

Old 08-06-2017, 09:34 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
The funny thing is been thinking of the 5th wheel prep. Just in case I want to mount the pop up on a gooseneck with the jeep
we run fifth wheel rails under our slide-in.

Steve

Old 08-06-2017, 09:50 AM
jsduty
Mountain Pass
Anyone know ho much the 5th prep will eat up the pay load

Old 08-09-2017, 10:45 AM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 270 Likes on 164 Posts
Just a heads up... If you're looking at a FWC, unless something has changed, they do not recommend or use the 7 prong plug. They use a 3 prong plug commonly used for electric trolling motors. As for the prep kit, it puts a plug in the back of the bed and you need one in the front of the box. Also on the 17's installing a plug is plug and play. You can just add it by plugging into the harness near the rear of the truck. There should be no wire cutting or splicing.

I have the truck you're looking to order other than the mine is a long box. With a CCLB you get a 48 gal fuel tank. This is a big plus in my book but then I've always had long beds. My payload is 4200+ lbs which is more than enough for a FWC and to tow a trailer/jeep. You don't need a dually.

I also have a Grandby and wet weight is around 1600lbs. If you haven't spent anytime in a FWC think about how you're going to use it and how long your trips are. They are small and space is at a premium. I wish they would bring back the Keystone which was 9'. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. We take minimal stuff but we are constantly shuffling things around in the camper be it food, clothes bags, whatever. Because of the pop up, anything that doesn't fit in the limited storage, goes on the benches or floor when traveling. One reason I have a crew cab is for more storage. Don't get me wrong as I love the camper because I can go were no other RV's can but it can be a pain at times.

My 2 cents...

Old 08-09-2017, 04:40 PM
jsduty
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the heads up on the plug. I been looking into The Shell Model, We don't need anything to fancy, Just the next phase in our camping life with out pitching a tent. I'm still on the fence with the long bed, Like the idea of a 48 gal tank, Just scared about GCWR. So every little bit counts,

Old 08-09-2017, 06:39 PM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 270 Likes on 164 Posts
I'm not sure the GCWR changes from shorty vs a long. Max trailer weight may be different tho. My 17 gasser is far more capable than my 2000 diesel dually is...

You might take a look at the specs...

2017 FordĀ® Super Duty F350 XLT Truck | Model Highlights | Ford.com

Quick Reply: Furture Slide in pop up