F150 towing - please double check my thinking

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:12 PM
Heesman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 towing - please double check my thinking

Hi,
I have a 2016 F150, SCREW, EB, etc. that has a maximum loaded trailer weight rating of 10,500 pounds and a maximum cargo load rating of 1,599 pounds.

My wife and kids are pushing me hard to buy a travel trailer and we have settled on either the Winnebago Minnie 2455BHS or the Minnie Plus 27BHS. I have not decided on which trailer yet but for for now let's assume it is the smaller one. That trailer has a GVWR of 7000 pounds.

Here is my conundrum - I think I bought the wrong truck last year. I know my truck can tow the tailer but I think the cargo capacity of my truck is inadequate.

Assuming 15% of trailer GVWR tongue weight, four people, Great Pyrenees dog, camping gear, coolers, luggage, four mountain bikes, Leer topper I think my F150 is short about 700 pounds on cargo carrying capacity.

This tells me I need a bigger truck - F250 at a minimum adequately equipped. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Eric

Old 08-01-2017, 01:47 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,690 Likes on 2,749 Posts
Some of the cargo could be shifted to the trailer. But it does sound like you'll be close to or over your cargo capacity. There are a few band-aids you could put on (air bags, LT tires, etc) to try and work around the problem but you still end up with too much weight on the truck.

I had a Nissan Titan with lower capacities than your F-150. I upgraded to the F-350 so I could pull my trailer.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:32 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Heesman
Hi,
I have a 2016 F150, SCREW, EB, etc. that has a maximum loaded trailer weight rating of 10,500 pounds and a maximum cargo load rating of 1,599 pounds.

My wife and kids are pushing me hard to buy a travel trailer and we have settled on either the Winnebago Minnie 2455BHS or the Minnie Plus 27BHS. I have not decided on which trailer yet but for for now let's assume it is the smaller one. That trailer has a GVWR of 7000 pounds.

Here is my conundrum - I think I bought the wrong truck last year. I know my truck can tow the tailer but I think the cargo capacity of my truck is inadequate.

Assuming 15% of trailer GVWR tongue weight, four people, Great Pyrenees dog, camping gear, coolers, luggage, four mountain bikes, Leer topper I think my F150 is short about 700 pounds on cargo carrying capacity.

This tells me I need a bigger truck - F250 at a minimum adequately equipped. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Eric
is getting another truck doable for you? Lots of folks do what you are contemplating, but I think you would be happier with a 250.

Steve

Old 08-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Heesman
Junior User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
is getting another truck doable for you? Lots of folks do what you are contemplating, but I think you would be happier with a 250.

Steve
Thanks. Looking at the Ford towing guide a F350 is probably the better choice. I guess a 2018 will be in my future. Darn it - I bought my current truck thinking I would have it for a long time.

I considered a smaller RV but the difference in tongue weight doesn't gain me much. And my kids aren't getting younger. 😀

Eric

Old 08-03-2017, 07:48 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Figure out what the rear axle is rated to (actual axle rating, it may be different than the capacities sticker on the drivers door) and what the load capacity is of the tires. Which ever of the two (axle or pair of tires together) is less is the number you never want to exceed. You will likely find you have more there than you think. That doesn't mean you aren't over the sticker rear axle rating, but the mechanical ratings may be within spec = should still be safe. There are a lot of people that do this and it is common with 5th wheels on SRW trucks. I am not sure if I would do that myself if I was hauling a trailer all the time, but if I was making a couple loaded trips a year I wouldn't hesitate being in that gray area on weight.

If you do upgrade trucks - at least get one with overload springs on the rear axle. 350's have them and I believe you can get them as an option on a 250 (the 250 I had did not - was too soft). Mine are great - when I load up the rear axle hits the overload springs and the rear end stops squatting. I'm sure if you put enough weight back there it would still squat, but I'm never that heavy.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Heesman
Junior User
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Figure out what the rear axle is rated to (actual axle rating, it may be different than the capacities sticker on the drivers door) and what the load capacity is of the tires. Which ever of the two (axle or pair of tires together) is less is the number you never want to exceed. You will likely find you have more there than you think. That doesn't mean you aren't over the sticker rear axle rating, but the mechanical ratings may be within spec = should still be safe. There are a lot of people that do this and it is common with 5th wheels on SRW trucks. I am not sure if I would do that myself if I was hauling a trailer all the time, but if I was making a couple loaded trips a year I wouldn't hesitate being in that gray area on weight.

If you do upgrade trucks - at least get one with overload springs on the rear axle. 350's have them and I believe you can get them as an option on a 250 (the 250 I had did not - was too soft). Mine are great - when I load up the rear axle hits the overload springs and the rear end stops squatting. I'm sure if you put enough weight back there it would still squat, but I'm never that heavy.
I appreciate the advice and I will check it out but I too am one that doesn't like being in the gray areas. I am definitely looking at a one-ton as the F250s with a PSD don't improve the cargo capacity much at all over what I currently have. The only thing that perplexes me is that I see a very large number of F150s going down the road that I know have similar cargo ratings and are loaded down with very large trailers and with the bed fully loaded with stuff. My wife says I worry too much, perhaps I do.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Screamingbear
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Correct thinking

Your concerns are valid.
I had a 2015 F-150 CC 6.5 ft box FX4 3.5L Ecoboost max tow package. I was towing a 7800 lb 30 ft box travel trailer. The WDH was set up perfectly level with 900 lbs tongue weight. All was good when towing flat, straight, no cross wind, and no trucks passing. As soon as I was towing in adverse conditions, it was a white knuckle adventure. Cross winds were the worst. It was a difficult task to keep it in the lane. Heavy wind gusts made it unstable and dangerous. In my opinion the F-150 does not have adequate suspension to keep a large travel trailer stable. I was always at or over max payload between tongue weight, passengers & gear.
I got rid of the F-150, and now tow with a 2017 F-350.
There is a world of difference towing the same trailer. I have towed in heavy winds (common in my area) with the new rig. Now there is not even a hint of the instability that was always there before. The wind gusts do push me around a little, but now I am relaxed and in control.
Towing is now enjoyable, not stressful.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:45 PM
posaune
Freshman User
I have almost the same story as Screamingbear, he is right on the money.

Just finished a 2000 mile trip from Seattle to Yellowstone and back with no white knuckles. Over all the passes at 55 - 60 mph, no problem (wouldn't want to go any faster anyway).

Old 08-07-2017, 09:51 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I appreciate the advice and I will check it out but I too am one that doesn't like being in the gray areas.
No problem. That is what these forums are for - to share ideas and insight, perhaps some "outside the box thinking" along the way.

I am definitely looking at a one-ton as the F250s with a PSD don't improve the cargo capacity much at all over what I currently have.
Correct. If you want to see some head scratching numbers look at the F350 DRW and an F450. With the right set up you can get a higher payload/towing capacity with an F350DRW than you can with an F450. Go figure..

The only thing that perplexes me is that I see a very large number of F150s going down the road that I know have similar cargo ratings and are loaded down with very large trailers and with the bed fully loaded with stuff. My wife says I worry too much, perhaps I do.
Just because others do something doesn't mean you should, also. Use your judgement and experience to guide your choices. I have been pulling trailers every now and then since I could drive, and spent a few years over the road commercially. My experiences may be totally different than yours or anyone else's.

Originally Posted by Screamingbear
Your concerns are valid.
I had a 2015 F-150 CC 6.5 ft box FX4 3.5L Ecoboost max tow package. I was towing a 7800 lb 30 ft box travel trailer. The WDH was set up perfectly level with 900 lbs tongue weight. All was good when towing flat, straight, no cross wind, and no trucks passing. As soon as I was towing in adverse conditions, it was a white knuckle adventure. Cross winds were the worst. It was a difficult task to keep it in the lane. Heavy wind gusts made it unstable and dangerous.
Depending on how attached one is to their truck there are things you can do to improve that - shocks, add-a-leafs, air bags. Technically, you are not "increasing payload" any, but you are able to increase the ride quality and stability.

Originally Posted by Screamingbear
In my opinion the F-150 does not have adequate suspension to keep a large travel trailer stable. I was always at or over max payload between tongue weight, passengers & gear.
I got rid of the F-150, and now tow with a 2017 F-350.
There is a world of difference towing the same trailer. I have towed in heavy winds (common in my area) with the new rig. Now there is not even a hint of the instability that was always there before. The wind gusts do push me around a little, but now I am relaxed and in control.
Towing is now enjoyable, not stressful.
Right. Again, there are things you can do to make the set up more stable. The catch to the half ton truck market is the majority of the market wants a "nice ride". A nice ride in a truck driving around town is at odds with actually using the truck to do work.

Originally Posted by posaune
I have almost the same story as Screamingbear, he is right on the money.

Just finished a 2000 mile trip from Seattle to Yellowstone and back with no white knuckles. Over all the passes at 55 - 60 mph, no problem (wouldn't want to go any faster anyway).
This wasn't in a Ford, but my old 1/2 ton chevy (2003 extended cab short bed Z71 3.73 gears and 5.3L engine) - I ran between Chicago, IL and Columbus, OH with a 6x12 UHaul moving a family member. The catch to the trip was it was close to 100deg. I had semis passing me and couldn't hold top gear. I opted to go without the AC to try and keep some of the load off the engine. Stability-wise the truck was fine, unless a trailer was loaded light on the tongue.

Bigger trucks make a difference, yes. The question is what makes sense in the end? That's up to whoever is making that decision. If a few changes mean staying in the same truck and making it work for the times its needed, without a loss on the value and wrapping ones self in to a higher payment, then it might be worth a consideration.

One last note - if power/torque when pulling ends up being an issue there is always the option of re-gearing. You could drop from 3.73's to 4.10's, or 3.55's to 3.73's for example. There are a couple caveats to this - 1. Your engine RPM's go up = lower unloaded fuel efficiency; 2. You need to adjust your speedometer/odo. In modern trucks this is done in the computer system with a "programmer". If you are under warranty that would not be a good idea, however you may be able to have the dealership do it - and the re-gear - for you.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:57 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Still waiting to hear from someone complaining they have too much truck when it comes to towing. Just a thought.

Steve

Old 08-07-2017, 10:46 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I don't think it is about complaining about having too much truck while towing, but rather complaining about having too much truck while not towing.

I haul trailers more than most, I still would doubt that towing is more than 10% of my miles.

Our 2004 f250 has 30,000 miles on it, and there is a reason for that. My 2006 expedition has 185,000 miles on it, and there is a reason for that too.

It comes down to compromises. Do you want to compromise 90% of the time, or 10%?

Old 08-07-2017, 11:04 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by meborder
I don't think it is about complaining about having too much truck while towing, but rather complaining about having too much truck while not towing.

I haul trailers more than most, I still would doubt that towing is more than 10% of my miles.

Our 2004 f250 has 30,000 miles on it, and there is a reason for that. My 2006 expedition has 185,000 miles on it, and there is a reason for that too.

It comes down to compromises. Do you want to compromise 90% of the time, or 10%?
i agree completely. More often, however, it seems there is a much stronger focus on towing by one model truck or another. Sometimes I wonder if a truck is even the best choice as it strikes me all it would take is a strong SUV, which I think is why we are seeing so many folks now in campgrounds.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:26 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
a F 250 with towing and slide in camper options, has the helper springs and rear anti-sway bar.. my "XL" can carry 3,600 pounds.. and tow 12,500 pound trailer.. but minus the torque weight .. so 3,600-1,100 = 2,500 carry..

depends on the state you live in.. a registration plate for a 350 might be much higher then a 250... and the reason a 250 is made. there is maybe 2% different between a 250 and a 350.

and YES.. it does ride Hard... so lower the air in tires when NOT TOWING.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:10 PM
jhedges
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 2455BHS and would advise not to go smaller. Campers generally shrink after you have them for awhile.

What kind of camping do you intend to do? Weekend Warrior? Long distance camping?

I used to tow mine with a 2001 Excursion. It did a great job of towing but I wanted something I could depend on if I went on a long distance camping trip. I got a 2017 F250 this year and it's unbelievable how it tows.

I think you would be ok with the F150 for short trips to get your camping in. However, in the long run I would go with the F250. The F250 just tows my camper effortlessly. It doesn't wear you out at all.

One thing, get a WDH and I would go with a Equalizer. They are a tad pricey, but they are very nice and work great. That's what I got not knowing anything and it turned out to be a good purchase.

Also, You are going down the right path getting a Winnebago. Their quality is awesome. We have not had one single issue and we are on our 2nd camper. We had a 2101 before we got the 2455BHS. We weren't sure we would like camping. After camping a few times, we traded up and are so glad we did as the 2455BHS is everything we needed and have not got tired of it. The outside kitchen is something we will not do without in a camper. Winnebago's are a tad pricey but they are worth every penny, don't shy away.

And who knows, maybe the F150 will be fine and you can keep it longer than you thought.

Last edited by jhedges; 08-08-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: adding
Old 08-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Super Duty STX
Junior User
I just recently turned in my 14 ecoboost f150 with max tow. It towed my #7500 toy hauler over the PNW, and Canadian Rockies with no problems. I never approached my tow capacity, but was always at, or slightly above my cargo/rear axle limit. I was lucky in the sense that I could carry some of the cargo in our toy hauler, which I would do at times. Handling never seemed to be a problem, and I have towed in some very windy areas such as the Columbia River gorge. It took full concentration, but I think in those extreme conditions any vehicle would feel it somewhat.

Quick Reply: F150 towing - please double check my thinking