Sponsored by:

PATS problem after Edge Evo on 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:27 PM
RockinT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PATS problem after Edge Evo on 7.3

Short time listener first time caller here.

A couple of years ago I purchased a mint 7.3 Excursion. It is bone stock with 46,000 miles. Perfect maintenence records. I have spent the last couple years playing with it preparing it to be my family tow vehicle.

I got all the suspension, wheel, tires,sway bar, air bags done and just before hauling my jeep to Colorado decided a little more power and monitoring would be nice. I had half a day to get it done and found a local shop with an Edge Evolution in stock with the display. We put it on and wow what a difference. I pulled the jeep to Colorado about 15 hours, parked the Excursion, drove the jeep for a week, hauled the jeep home 15 hours. Everything worked perfect. It was a great trip.

This morning I woke up started the Excursion and hauled the jeep to my shop. Unloaded the jeep, unhooked the trailer and shut the Excursion off. Later I got in the Excursion started it to go to lunch. As I left the parking lot I hammered it just a little as it was the first time I had driven it without a trailer. I got 1/4 mile down the road and it just quit, under acceleration. The theft light is blinking rapidly. We got the bubba rope out of the jeep and pulled it back to the shop. So far I have unhooked the batteries, tried PATS reset procedure with both keys several times, talked with Edge and tried several times to force load stock tune. The PCM will not communicate with the tuner, the PCM will not even communicate with my hand held scanner. Edge is supposed to be sending me a "game boy" device overnight to attempt to recover my PCM. Not being all that familiar with any of this I thought I might post my circumstance here for help. I'm thinking the PCM is fried. Kind of a coincidence after just installing the programmer? Either way the truck is disabled and I gotta get it going again. If it requires a new PCM I am guessing I will have to tow it to the dealer to be flashed.

Any ideas?

Old 07-31-2017, 07:14 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Where you at in Texas?

I have been down the fried PCM road. They ain't cheap, and they are getting hard to find. If you are having trouble communicating with the PCM, you need to check all the plugs on the OBD II port and the PCM. You should also be checking the PCM fuse to see if it is blown. It shares duty with the water in fuel sensor, so make sure that is not the source of the problem if the fuse should be found blown. OBD II port also has a fuse.

The PATS system cannot be "reset" very easily. If it could, it would be worthless. What year is your Excursion?

Old 07-31-2017, 07:42 PM
RockinT
New User
I am in Mansfield TX. I did check the OBD as well as the PCM fuses. The ODB port has power because it will power up the Edge device it just won't communicate with anything. The Excursion is a 2002. I spoke with Justin at DP tuners and he said if the PCM is not fried it can be reflashed to eliminate the PATS, then I would unplug the PATS module and not require a flash at the dealer.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:00 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

When I bought my new PCM, I did not need to have it flashed at all, but I am running a Hydra chip attached to the PCM. I installed it, and it worked fine on the first turn of the key. I was told by the Ford dealer that sold it to me that it was ready to go and already flashed.

The PATS module is attached to the steering column on the underside. You might take the clam shell off and check the connections on it, fuse, etc. It is pretty small.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:11 PM
RockinT
New User
That sounds good, if I could buy a PCM tomorrow at a Ford dealer and start my truck I would be on it.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:04 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Be prepared for sticker shock...

Old 07-31-2017, 09:37 PM
RockinT
New User
Yes I figured that much. I need to confirm it is trash first.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:56 PM
RockinT
New User
PCM was fine. I took it to a local DFW auto module rebuilder. They were able to reload a stock flash. They said it was corrupt from the tune. I sure did like that upgrade but will be awfully skeptic to reinstall!

Old 08-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Good to hear. Get yourself a Hydra with tunes from Gearhead (Aggie engineers in Bryan), and you won't have any problems with tuning again.