1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Lets see some nice custom or origional interiors

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 09:13 PM
rizob01
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets see some nice custom or origional interiors

Come on. You guys put the work in now lets show them off. Trying to get some Ideas on how to make my interior more comfortable. Anyone use seats out of newer trucks for your build? How about custom headliners and custom dash options. Lets see some nice originals too.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:12 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Only stock for me

Attached Images     
Old 07-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Capjack01
Senior User
so clean it looks custom. bloody awesome.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:02 AM
SuperSabre
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Seats are from a 2003 F150 extra cab. Frankly, they are a bit too big for my '66, but they also have some plusses such as built in seat belts, cup holders/console, high seatbacks for safety, and they would recline if there were enough room for them to do so. As it's a split bench, the driver and passengers can adjust position individually. There is a '66 Mustang Rally Pac (tach and clock) mounted on the steering column. The 15 inch leather wrapped steering wheel is useful for getting into the cab without bashing body parts (and yes I added power steering. Also customized the Classic Auto Air conditioning vents.

Attached Images   
Old 07-31-2017, 01:01 PM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperSabre
Also customized the Classic Auto Air conditioning vents.
I am digging those air vents and I have a feeling that if my wife sees this, she will want this done to her truck. Thanks....

Old 07-31-2017, 04:26 PM
Capjack01
Senior User
Seats are from a 2003 F150 extra cab. Frankly, they are a bit too big for my '66...
too big how? too wide? too tall? they look pretty comfy compared to the stockers I have

Old 07-31-2017, 11:37 PM
SuperSabre
Laughing Gas
Capjack01 - too big as in they are taller than the stock bench which means your ergonomics get thrown out of kilter. Since you sit up higher you have issues sliding between the seat and steering wheel thereby necessitating the smaller steering wheel diameter which is OK if you have power steering, but not so much if you don't. You'll lose some rear visability through the rear window because of the high seatbacks. Also, you bang your head climbing into the truck if you don't learn to duck. We fabricated seat mounts as low as was possible. I'll attach a picture of one of the mounts as we were mocking it up. The seat also has a longer cushion, which reduces legroom, which wasn't any too much in the first place - not so much an issue if the truck is an automatic, but a little scrunched if it's a manual which mine is. I need to make two corrections: my seats are out of an '02 F150 extracab, not an '03. And my new steering wheel is 14 inches in diameter, not 15. You'll want the minimum dish you can find in a new steering wheel to get it out of your chest. One other important point: there are at least two styles of 40/20/40 seat units from '02 Ford trucks. The one I found will just fit inside the '65 - '66 cab; the other (as seen in my F250) won't. The one that fits has two seat components: (1) driver seat, and (2) passenger seat and middle seat/console. The too big one has three separate components: (1) driver seat, (2) middle seat/console, (3) passenger seat. When measuring for fitment, note that the cab narrows from bottom to top so seat bases that fit at the bottom don't necessarily mean that tops of seats will fit. This sounds pretty negative, but for me the advantages outweigh the negative points and I have adjusted to what I have to do to make it work. Hope this helps.

Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Capjack01
Senior User
awesome info! thanks for the details. Im not thrilled with the stocker seat in mine at the moment and have been considering some of the mustang seat mods Ive been reading about here (ie: old ranger). yours looks really comfortable, but you brought up a lot of things Id honestly not considered.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:19 PM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
One other important point: there are at least two styles of 40/20/40 seat units from '02 Ford trucks. The one I found will just fit inside the '65 - '66 cab; the other (as seen in my F250) won't. The one that fits has two seat components: (1) driver seat, and (2) passenger seat and middle seat/console. The too big one has three separate components: (1) driver seat, (2) middle seat/console, (3) passenger seat. When measuring for fitment, note that the cab narrows from bottom to top so seat bases that fit at the bottom don't necessarily mean that tops of seats will fit. This sounds pretty negative, but for me the advantages outweigh the negative points and I have adjusted to what I have to do to make it work. Hope this helps.
Interesting as I purchased the same setup from an '07 and they look the same. In fact we are going start the mock-up process tonight. I noticed you have a power seat option on the drivers side, ours does too. You able to make that work? Lastly, you mentioned you retained the built in seat belts. Well the buckle is, the the strap is not, it's in the cab. What did you use for the strap? The bone yard was reluctant to sell me the straps saying they might have deployed in the wreck..well wouldn't I notice that obviously upon inspection?
Thanks

Old 08-04-2017, 12:09 AM
SuperSabre
Laughing Gas
My seats are manual. The two adjusters on the side are for seatback recline and lumbar support. Fore and aft adjustment is done by a bar at the front. The '66 cab is so small, in my case, I just set my seatback rake and then ran the seat back as far as it will go. As I said earlier, not so bad if you have an automatic; less comfortable if you have a manual. As you can see from the picture, the belts and retractors are located at the top of the seat on the outboard sides and the female recepticles are attached to the seat assemblies. I did a "locking pull test" on my retractors at the junkyard before I bought them. I can't remember whether I bought the center seat belts as part of the package at the junkyard or used some I already had, but I bolted them to existing seat belt fittings on the floor. Hope this helps.

Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2017, 01:44 PM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
This worked better than I had thought. Power seat only needs power to the green lead and ground to the black. The in-cab gas tank had to go, and once gone we had adequate room with the stock steering wheel. Ours is a automatic so no worries about shifting. Now to mount the tracks into the truck. Height is to be held to a minimum, and I am leaning towards cutting off stock mounts and attaching 1/4" plate cut to fit, we'll see.

Now, about that gas tank......

Old 08-07-2017, 08:40 AM
PaulTMurphy
Junior User
Here's the interior of my 66 in progress. In all we're doing new carpet, seat, headliner, visors, door cards.