Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

My 77 F-100

Old 03-10-2018, 10:29 PM
MrQuick
Senior User
MrQuick is starting off with a positive reputation.
nice truck, and nice work.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:07 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
75BigBlock is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by MrQuick View Post
nice truck, and nice work.
Thank you, sir.

So! I'm sick of 20's, imagine that. I know some newer vehicles come with rims and tires the size of what I have on right now, 245/45r20, but they undoubtedly have a much better suspension that is designed with those wheels in mind and therefor rides AHmazing. Not so much on a 40+ year old truck. Don't get me wrong, I personally like the look of 20's on these trucks as far as tire to rim ratio goes. Some designs are fugly, which I think these rims are, but I think the price of admission to try a set out was worth it for me. It didn't cost all that much at around 300 bucks all in. The truck rides nicely on nice roads, but anything other than a nice smooth road and it's just a little too rough for my liking. Every bump you hit and its like, ugh, I hope the tire doesn't pop.

The plan at this point is to take the 17" rims off my Bronco and mount them with different tires and put them on the F100. They had 35's on them, which obviously are way too big, so they're going the way of the dodo! The Bronco is getting it's OE 15" rims back that currently have 31's on them and later on I'll get some new 15's with 35's on them with a better offset/backspacing so they fit better than the 17's did. The 17's off the Bronco are 9" wide with a backspacing of what I crudely measured at 4.5" and should fit nicely on the F100 being that the 35's rubbed the radius arms on the Bronco, but obviously the 35" diameter was the culprit there and not the actual rims or their backspacing. I'll be test fitting the bare rims prior to ordering new rubber.

The 17's had black plastidip that their previous owner sprayed on them. Plastidip is great if you have some nasty rims and want to spruce them up without investing a lot of time or money. I got a peek of what they looked like under the plastidip and googled a picture of what they were and figured I liked that a lot better than the plastidip, even if they're scuffed up, which they are. If applied correctly, plastidip will come off pretty easily like an automotive facial mask, but if applied too thinly then it's a nightmare as it just breaks off every time you start to peel it up. There's 2 solutions to thin plastidip removal. You either get more of it and spray more layers on top to thicken it and then peel it all off or you can do what I did since I had supplies around and didn't want to buy more plastidip and go through that. I took some paper towels and bits of cotton rags along with some acetone and went to town. If you apply it to your paper towel/cotton rag and hold it against the plastidip to kind of let it soak in a bit, it comes right off.

A little bit of elbow grease and time and this is what I ended up with.

Wheels on the Bronco.

Dirty wheel with some flaky DIP.

Wheel after some elbow grease and acetone!

Side by side.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:40 AM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Here's a little glimpse of my 460 tear down. I keep jumping from project to project as certain circumstances allow (weather, family time, etc.), so I'm not as far along as I'd like at the moment. I'm keep going back and forth in my mind as to what I'll be doing with this particular 460, but for now with what I've found within the block (rust and wear), I've decided that I'll strip it down and get everything checked out, machined, and just go ahead with recreating my F150's 460's specs as closely as I can and as inexpensively as I can by reusing whatever I can from the other 460. I'd like to have a 521 stroker built later on and put in this 460's place and then put this 460 into my Bronco down the road in place of its 351m. Seems to be a running theme of handing down parts as upgrade opportunities come about.

I'm not sure the previous owner used enough rtv when mounting his carb to the spacer and intake. lol I had to put a bit of effort in to pop that sucker off. I've also gotten a lot of use out of my jack handle as a cheater bar. I didn't spray any penetrating oil on those nuts before popping them off, just a little bit of effort with all that leverage and they came right off. You can see that tube that's for emissions on the 80's era heads. I now understand how/why it was left and capped off. And the little bit of rust I found in the lifter valley. I'm a little further than the pictures show, but I haven't bother to snap any more pics yet.

Another question, if anyone would like to answer, are the 460 truck exhaust manifolds sought after? I figured maybe for swaps into 4x4's. I plan on tossing the iron intake, that emissions tube, probably the HEI distributor and Holley carb, and hanging onto the manifolds as someone might actually find those useful. My donor 460 has a set of these on it that I plan on using. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...hoCYZgQAvD_BwE They weren't cheap even when I got them 10+ years ago, and other than a little bit of surface rust from sitting for so long, I think they're still good to use. https://www.ford-trucks.com/g/picture/8411007 They really looked slick back when that engine was new imo.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:07 AM
JessyJ
Senior User
JessyJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ya I guess the PO ran out of rtv when he was putting it together. LOL LOL. Good job, coming along slowly but sherly.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:26 AM
Shortbox4x4
Elder User
Shortbox4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 75BigBlock View Post
Here's a little glimpse of my 460 tear down. I keep jumping from project to project as certain circumstances allow (weather, family time, etc.), so I'm not as far along as I'd like at the moment. I'm keep going back and forth in my mind as to what I'll be doing with this particular 460, but for now with what I've found within the block (rust and wear), I've decided that I'll strip it down and get everything checked out, machined, and just go ahead with recreating my F150's 460's specs as closely as I can and as inexpensively as I can by reusing whatever I can from the other 460. I'd like to have a 521 stroker built later on and put in this 460's place and then put this 460 into my Bronco down the road in place of its 351m. Seems to be a running theme of handing down parts as upgrade opportunities come about.

I'm not sure the previous owner used enough rtv when mounting his carb to the spacer and intake. lol I had to put a bit of effort in to pop that sucker off. I've also gotten a lot of use out of my jack handle as a cheater bar. I didn't spray any penetrating oil on those nuts before popping them off, just a little bit of effort with all that leverage and they came right off. You can see that tube that's for emissions on the 80's era heads. I now understand how/why it was left and capped off. And the little bit of rust I found in the lifter valley. I'm a little further than the pictures show, but I haven't bother to snap any more pics yet.

Another question, if anyone would like to answer, are the 460 truck exhaust manifolds sought after? I figured maybe for swaps into 4x4's. I plan on tossing the iron intake, that emissions tube, probably the HEI distributor and Holley carb, and hanging onto the manifolds as someone might actually find those useful. My donor 460 has a set of these on it that I plan on using. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-89840?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-hedman-hedders&gclid=CjwKCAjw7tfVBRB0EiwAiSYGM0mkxy5xzZjN 1VIVE78js3rTewaIKxSv_kOF0OXYoRMp09Kwev09KhoCYZgQAv D_BwE They weren't cheap even when I got them 10+ years ago, and other than a little bit of surface rust from sitting for so long, I think they're still good to use. https://www.ford-trucks.com/g/picture/8411007 They really looked slick back when that engine was new imo.

Holy RTV Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't throw away the truck exhaust manifolds. I actually prefer them over headers and yes they will work in the 4x4's as well. I used mine. Had them jet hot ceramic coated. Won't rust and they run cooler temperature wise and cool down 10x faster. I had the muffler shop run 2.5" pipe off of them as well.

So sell them on Ebay or the forum etc....some guys I feel ask way too much money for them but there is a market for them.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:42 PM
meangreen92
Postmaster
meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.
That valve cover appears to have been painted with code S Bright Dark Blue Metallic, instead of the dark blue Ford engine paint.

I've always heard that RTV won't stand up to being used to seal a carb. What a slop-job!

Old 03-24-2018, 07:47 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Originally Posted by Shortbox4x4 View Post
Holy RTV Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't throw away the truck exhaust manifolds. I actually prefer them over headers and yes they will work in the 4x4's as well. I used mine. Had them jet hot ceramic coated. Won't rust and they run cooler temperature wise and cool down 10x faster. I had the muffler shop run 2.5" pipe off of them as well.

So sell them on Ebay or the forum etc....some guys I feel ask way too much money for them but there is a market for them.
Maybe I'll hang onto the manifolds for myself for whenever I swap a 460 into my Bronco. I end up with way more parts than I can store when I do stuff like that though. lol Everytime I take something off that's what goes through my mind, what can I use this for later.

Yeah, I saw a little bit of rtv on the base plate when the carb was on and thought it was odd, because I've never used rtv anywhere around a carb. Boy was I in for a surprise. I'd imagine gas would eat it away at some point. I bought this engine off a kid who was maybe 20, if that, and he lived out in the sticks, so I'm sure he and his buddies just... used whatever they had lying around when swapping parts. I'm not even sure why it had the spacer to begin with. I don't think the Holley was a spread bore carb, but I'll have to go take a peek the next time I head into the back room to work on it. Maybe they needed some clearance and that's what they had lying around, like I said, it was way out in the sticks.

Here's a pic to help illustrate the difference in intakes if anyone is curious as to what that spacer is for. The way it was setup on this intake was to put a spread bore carb on a square bore intake, so wider holes going to narrower holes... like a funnel I guess.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:26 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Well I'm not sure I'm gonna use those 17's off the Bronco. They're 17x9 with 4.5 inches backspacing. They're 9 inches wide where the tires mount, bead to bead where manufacturers measure them, but about 10 inches wide from the outer edge lip to lip. That makes the... frontspacing? 5.5 inches. What I discovered when I put 1.5 inch spacers on my front wheels with the 20's, to see what backspacing I'd like if I got new rims, was that my wheels on the passenger side of my truck stick out three quarters of an inch more than the drivers side do. That's both front and back, which is weird, but it is what it is. When I take one of these 17's and mount it on the front driver's side it looks great, just a little inside the fender. When I put one on the passenger's side it sits flush with the fender, damn near past it. It makes me really nervous to order up some tires for them and find out that my passenger side tire will nail my fender if I hit a large enough bump or while turning and hit a bump. They'd be ok I think if I hadn't lowered the truck or if it was a 4x4 that would never get the wheel arches near the tires. I'm gonna mull it over, but I'll probably end up cleaning these up as much as I can and offloading them on FB or something and see about getting some different 17's a little down the road. If these had been 17x8 with the same backspacing I'd be gold. I was just hoping it'd all work out nice and smoothly.

On the other hand! I was cleaning out a bag of miscellaneous goodies from my junk drawer and rediscovered some items I had collected some time last year for whenever I find a super sweet stock radio. I make it a point whenever I go into the junk yards to search the cab of every dentside I see that's new to the yard and see if there's any loose items laying around that may be of some use, such as ***** and buttons, whether or not I'm there for dentside parts.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:35 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
I bought new wheels and tires for my Bronco. I broke the news to my wife after the order was made. Its easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. lol

I sold my 1.5" wheel spacers for $50 the other day and I'm selling my 7 year old 46" lcd tv tomorrow for $100 after I get off work to help compensate. lol I'm gonna offload a couple more items I've been sitting on for a while. In the meantime I've bought her new curling irons she's wanted and some fancy bras. I still think those are for me somehow. I'm gonna sell the 17x9's I have and hopefully get at least $100, maybe $200 if I can find the right buyer. I'm gonna see if I can squeeze in another wheel/tire purchase later in the year for the F100. I'm sure it'll come with purchases for my wife as well. Right now I'm thinking 17x8 alloy rims with some fat 275/55r17's on them. I'm sure my mind will go back and forth deciding until the day I make a purchase, business as usual. Oh yeah, here's the ol' beater Bronco with it's new shoes. I kept it old school.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:46 AM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Figure I'll make a little update and add pics from other posts that should go in here.

I haven't really made any progress on my two projects. Lotta stuff goin' on at home and triple digit heat has removed all interest at the moment.

The 460 I bought for the F100 is still in its half torn down state. My F150 had to be moved since it had worn out its welcome where I was storing it for freeeeee. I had it towed over to my mechanics shop and when he gets a lull in his workflow he'll have the engine and tranny pulled for me... and I'll probably have that sit in the bed of the F100 indefinitely. *shrug* I'll strip what I need and/or want off the F150 while it's at the mechanics shop and then have it hauled off to be crushed, which sucks since I've had it for 20+ years, but it's gonna happen. I would attempt to remove the engine and trans myself, but seeing my legit hoarder neighbor get his 3-4 vehicles tagged by the city a couple times, because they sit there on the street for weeks without moving I don't want to see what may or may not happen if I get caught with an inoperable truck in various stages of dismantlement as I take it apart.

Here's the F100 with its current wheel and tire setup along with a couple other vehicles from my signature. I had this posted in another thread. It might be hard to tell from the pic, but that Bronco's wheelbase is over a foot shorter than my F100. I never realized how short it was until I took the top off and set it on the bed of my truck and pushed it up against the cab. Shoulda taken a picture of that.

Here's the EFI setup I'm eventually going to put onto my Bronco. Sometimes when I'm driving the F100 to work I try to convince myself to just put it in that instead. lol It'll be sitting in that box forever at this rate.

And the 460, technically a 466, that'll be pulled from the F150 and used for parts. I plan on putting the MSD components onto the Bronco and then using the heads, headers, intake, carb, basically whatever isn't destroyed, for the F100.

One thing that will NOT be going into the F100 from my F150 is the gear drive that I thought was cool at the time I had the engine built. Forget that noisy ****! LOL I must be gettin' old. You can get a good idea of how loud it really was from this video I made looong long ago. I do not miss the gear drive, but the exhaust sounded pretty good.

I'll post more whenever I make some real progress. Also, if there's a part you're interested from my F150, let me know.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:31 AM
meangreen92
Postmaster
meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Is the '75 really in that bad a shape? I'd think you could sell what's left. Maybe the shop can sell the stuff. I'd even just let them keep the money rather than see it crushed.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:12 AM
Doosenberry
Freshman User
Doosenberry is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by meangreen92 View Post
Is the '75 really in that bad a shape? I'd think you could sell what's left. Maybe the shop can sell the stuff. I'd even just let them keep the money rather than see it crushed.
Hey! Guess who can't log into his account anymore? This guy!

I had to create a new account, because the admins here won't, or can't, respond to my messages about helping me get back into my account. So, I haven't been able to post on that account since February, why I don't know, and once that happened I became pretty apathetic towards posting here on FTE.

To answer your question on the '75's condition, it depends on what you consider "bad shape". It's bad enough to where I don't want to bother fixing it up, but probably in good enough shape to be salvaged if someone really wanted to. I've seen people on here rebuild worse. The wheel wells on the bed are eaten up. The cab corners, rockers, floorboards, and front cab mounts look like swiss cheese. Various other things are pretty rusty. I recently stripped a lot off of it to save for my other two rigs and it's soon to be hauled off, but if someone really wanted what's left of it to do a body swap or convert it to a 4x4 to have a pre-smog 4x4 in California or something, I'd let them just take it. Probably a little too late for that though as the title has been handed over and it's just waiting for a wrecker to come take it away.

Anyhoo. I got the 460 out of the '75 and it's currently sitting in the back of the '77 along with the C6. It sure has seen better days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.